Mets fans?

Another Fan

49 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I’ve been active here since about 2010. Had some early run-ins with Beerball around that time, but in hindsight that was all on me.  Jack (who is a nice guy), had me in his sights after Beerball stopped modding. After Jack was dethroned, Hapless was nothing short of a f*cking nightmare. Especially after Covid hit. Once in awhile, I’ll post a ill-placed political comment and Simon has simply deleted them and occasionally PMd me to say, “dude, come on,” and leave it at that. No stupid suspensions or warnings. I think this place is at the point where only the egregious a-holes are getting suspended and/or banned. 

I probably missed your 'offensive' posts - or maybe I'm not easily offended. Always considered you to be a venerable poster.

But I'll agree that Covid/Hapless was a bad combo. The pinned 'facts only' covid thread was a low point for the site IMO.

As to the current state of the site - I miss the times where the trolls would get called out for crusading. I've been here for awhile and always considered it a sign of weakness to block someone. That changed for me the past year. 

44 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

- Vogelbach: He can't be on this team next year. He just can't. He's a slow, positionless player who can only DH against RHPs. That is the definition of a wasted roster spot. Thanks for the memories, Vogey. Don't let the door hit you on the way out and leave some donuts for your teammates. 

-Verlander: I know that none of you agree with me...and that's fine...but I'm glad he's gone. Just another in a long line of disappointing, overpaid, underachieving Met free agent acquisitions. I'm sick of 35+ year old past-their-prime acquisitions. 40 year old pitchers should not be the cornerstone/ace of the pitching staff. Your assessment of giving "the appearance of fielding a competitive team" in NYC is one that is perpetuated in large part by the media of the 'Big Apple', IMO. Part of the reason the Mets will likely never have a perpetual winner and robust farm system is the "big city mentality" of half-assing it. Too afraid to tear it down to the studs and build it right so as not to piss off their fans so they try to repair their gunshot wounds with band-aids. Rinse and repeat and here we are 62 years into a franchise that has two World Series titles to its name...the first 54 years ago and the latest 37 years ago. FYI...to be clear, I was not taking a shot at you. I'm just expressing my own frustration at the "you can't do a complete rebuild in NY" mantra. It's a big reason why this franchise is usually in some form of perpetual suck, IMO. Take the short-term hit and do it right.

- Buck: The rose is definitely off the bloom in my eyes. I would be okay if they kept him and okay if they fired him. I would not be upset either way. If he is gone, I would relish not having to listen to his mumbling, 'low-talking' indirectly into the microphone style. It's maddening to have to crank up the TV and try to decipher his pressers. Open your mouth and speak clearly...and audibly...in to mic. After all, you are in fugging NY, Buck. 

WRT Verlander - where we disagree is the underachieving. In my eyes he got swept up in the two years of overpaid-ness and lack of availability of DeGrom/Scherzer. For sure he started his Mets stint on the DL and had a slow start, but he was pitching well when we cut the cord. 

LMFAO at the Buck low-talker comments -spot on. And like you and @Another Fan I'm not on the fire Buck band-wagon, but if they have someone in mind to replace him I'm all ears 

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

WRT Verlander - where we disagree is the underachieving. In my eyes he got swept up in the two years of overpaid-ness and lack of availability of DeGrom/Scherzer. For sure he started his Mets stint on the DL and had a slow start, but he was pitching well when we cut the cord. 

LMFAO at the Buck low-talker comments -spot on. And like you and @Another Fan I'm not on the fire Buck band-wagon, but if they have someone in mind to replace him I'm all ears 

Let me be clear on Verlander. I do not hate him and maybe 'underachieving' was the wrong choice of words on my part. If only one of Scherzer and Verlander had to go then I was 100% for shipping the former. Cutting ties with Verlander represents a bigger picture thing for me akin to hitting the 'Reset' button. Sweep out the old, even if they are still effective, and take it in a new direction with a forward thinking philosophy. They weren't winning anything with the 40 year old Verlander and he'll only be another year older next season when this team is more than likely still retooling. What's the point? They'd probably end up shipping him at the deadline in 2024 anyway and at least at this point, they have prospects already getting acclimated to their system. Trading Verlander was a no-brainer, IMO. I realize that's not necessarily the popular view but one I stand by nonetheless.

Buck...'nuff said. EEEEEEEEEEEE-NUN-CIATE, please!

LGM!

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

@ExWNYer @Gugny @Another Fan

Anyone happen to catch the game tonight?  Great (albeit meaningless) win. Fun watch from the 7th on.

DJ Stewart making a strong case to replace Vogelbach.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Stewart is having a nice run. Very fun game!!

@Another Fan

Stewart has been a fun follow the last several weeks. Every time I see he's hit another I say, "WTF?" 😁

I was out last night and tuned in on the car radio on my way home. It was the top of the 8th and the Mets were up, 3-2, when Ottavino plunked a batter to tie it and then allowed the go ahead hit. Nope...not gonna do this to myself <click>. Off went the radio. When I got home I checked my phone and said, "Let's see how badly they lost" and saw that it was now 5-5 going to the top of the 9th. "Hmmmm, okay...I'll watch the end of this." Put the game on the TV in the top of the 9th and watched to its conclusion. When Texas loaded the bases in the top of the 10th with no outs, I just knew it was over but, much to my surprise, Brigham wriggled off the hook unscathed. Then the Metropolitans loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the 10th and were promptly gifted two walks and a hit batter by Dumbassis Chapman to win it. That was a very unexpected and entertaining finish.

BTW, Ronny Mauricio is finally being called up to the big club. He will be at Citi-Field on Friday for the start of the series with the Mariners. I'm anxious to see what this kid can do. Let's just hope that Buck doesn't glue RM's butt to the bench. If he's going to be a fixture next year, he's going to need to find a position whether that's 2B or 3B. It would be logical to me to try and develop him at 3B and convert Baty to LF. Baty will need to really find himself by next Spring Training or he'll either find himself back at Syracuse or part of a trade package.

13 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

@Another Fan

Stewart has been a fun follow the last several weeks. Every time I see he's hit another I say, "WTF?" 😁

I was out last night and tuned in on the car radio on my way home. It was the top of the 8th and the Mets were up, 3-2, when Ottavino plunked a batter to tie it and then allowed the go ahead hit. Nope...not gonna do this to myself <click>. Off went the radio. When I got home I checked my phone and said, "Let's see how badly they lost" and saw that it was now 5-5 going to the top of the 9th. "Hmmmm, okay...I'll watch the end of this." Put the game on the TV in the top of the 9th and watched to its conclusion. When Texas loaded the bases in the top of the 10th with no outs, I just knew it was over but, much to my surprise, Brigham wriggled off the hook unscathed. Then the Metropolitans loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the 10th and were promptly gifted two walks and a hit batter by Dumbassis Chapman to win it. That was a very unexpected and entertaining finish.

BTW, Ronny Mauricio is finally being called up to the big club. He will be at Citi-Field on Friday for the start of the series with the Mariners. I'm anxious to see what this kid can do. Let's just hope that Buck doesn't glue RM's butt to the bench. If he's going to be a fixture next year, he's going to need to find a position whether that's 2B or 3B. It would be logical to me to try and develop him at 3B and convert Baty to LF. Baty will need to really find himself by next Spring Training or he'll either find himself back at Syracuse or part of a trade package.

I'm looking forward to seeing Mauricio too. He better not get the Vientos treatment (bring him up and sit him down).

Unless there's an off-season trade Mets will have some interesting decisions next spring wrt Mauricio, Baty and Vientos.  Based on this past year Baty seemed to hold most favored nation status with the Mets brass. Probably helped his cause when he got sent down to Triple A and tore it up. I think they're comfortable moving McNeil around and tbh I am too so that will help. But I'm not wild about playing the younger guys out of position, in particular Baty in LF.  

8 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Mauricio too. He better not get the Vientos treatment (bring him up and sit him down).

Unless there's an off-season trade Mets will have some interesting decisions next spring wrt Mauricio, Baty and Vientos.  Based on this past year Baty seemed to hold most favored nation status with the Mets brass. Probably helped his cause when he got sent down to Triple A and tore it up. I think they're comfortable moving McNeil around and tbh I am too so that will help. But I'm not wild about playing the younger guys out of position, in particular Baty in LF.  

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out but, of the three, my gut tells me that Vientos is the most likely to be used as a trade chip at some point. The Mets drive me crazy with the way they constantly try to force square pegs into round holes. In a perfect world, Mauricio would settle in at 2B, Baty would develop as a decent 3B and McNeil would float and play LF/2B/Utility. I don't have an issue with trying Baty in the outfield. I believe he has played there before but has just gotten more time at 3B. If they want him in LF, he needs to start working immediately once the season ends. Honestly, the more versatile he can be, the better chance of contributing  he will have. I think his defense this year took a mental toll on his batting average. LF if a lot easier to play 'decently' than 3B is. 

16 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

In his first at bat Mauricio purportedly hit the hardest ball a Met has hit all year. I saw the at bat (RFer was frozen) and watched him get stranded at third. Looks like a big dude - surprised he projected as a SS let alone 2B.

I was just a teenager then but I never really quite got over Jason Phillips in a way when it comes to getting excited about late season call ups.  I thought he was going to be like for sure the next big thing.  I think the Mets brass then did as well as they wanted Mike to play 1st base to make room for him as catcher going forward.  I also thought the whole Buddy Holly glasses he wore made him seem him even cooler.  But it didnt quite work out 😞.  Damn that was 20 years ago already.  

Just two other notes:

I mean DeGrom I would have been cool with but what was the deal with the Scherzer tribute video.  Just seriously....  

His passing was also almost 20 years ago today.  Sean Kimmerling.  

https://nypost.com/2003/09/10/kimerling-will-be-missed/

I still remember being upset about that when I heard it.  If I recall correctly he was a sideline reporter when the Mets used to be on Channel 11 WB.  He seemed a nice, handsome, healthy guy.  I mean still kind of stunning in a way thinking about him.

But there is a Cancer memorial named after him

https://www.seankimerling.org

And I feel Sean himself would laugh at that 1st picture on that site!  A serious topic in a light manner there 

• Like (+1) 2

Mauricio trivia.....answers further down:

1) He had two hits in his Mets/MLB debut. Who is the last Met to do that?

2) He went 3 for 4 in his first Mets/MLB at bats? Who is the last Met to do that?

3) He went 4 for 5 in his first Mets/MLB at bats? Who is the last Met to do that?

1) Steven Matz

2) Luis Guillorme

3) Jake DeGrom

Edited by SinceThe70s
Added #3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

In his first at bat Mauricio purportedly hit the hardest ball a Met has hit all year. I saw the at bat (RFer was frozen) and watched him get stranded at third. Looks like a big dude - surprised he projected as a SS let alone 2B.

Yes, I believe it was 117.3 mph. Baty & Alvarez also had base knocks. Good night for the 'Baby Mets'.

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

2) He went 3 for 4 in his first Mets/MLB at bats? Who is the last Met to do that?

3) He went 4 for 5 in his first Mets/MLB at bats? Who is the last Met to do that?

1) Steven Matz

2) Luis Guillorme

3) Jake DeGrom

I knew #1...actually watched his debut on TV. I didn't know #2 and #3. Very cool.

10 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Yes, I believe it was 117.3 mph. Baty & Alvarez also had base knocks. Good night for the 'Baby Mets'.

I knew #1...actually watched his debut on TV. I didn't know #2 and #3. Very cool.

Same. That Matz game was magical with his family in the stands!

• Agree 1

On 9/2/2023 at 8:33 PM, SinceThe70s said:

1) Steven Matz

2) Luis Guillorme

3) Jake DeGrom

Tbh 0 for 3 on your quiz 🙁  Good trivia though.

The discussion on Matz made me look him up.  Seems he's with the Cardinals and is doing okay for himself I guess?  Got a recent 4 year 44 million dollar deal there.

I liked Matz but if I recall right he wasn't like mentally strong to be a starting pitcher?  Or at least not yet in that point of his career.

Nonetheless I liked him and wish him well.  But yeah even when more recent guys like Canha I like get traded the are out of mind out of sight for me for the most part 

Edited by Another Fan
spell check automatically put Matt in when typing Matz!

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Tbh 0 for 3 on your quiz 🙁  Good trivia though.

The discussion on Matz made me look him up.  Seems he's with the Cardinals and is doing okay for himself I guess?  Got a recent 4 year 44 million dollar deal there.

I liked Matz but if I recall right he wasn't like mentally strong to be a starting pitcher?  Or at least not yet in that point of his career.

Nonetheless I liked him and wish him well.  But yeah even when more recent guys like Canha I like get traded the are out of mind out of sight for me for the most part 

100% on Matz not being mentally strong. When the going got tough he got soft.

Matz was a big deal for me cuz he was a local boy. And if you didn't know there was an epic game between him and Stroman as high-schoolers. I was oblivious to it when it went down but it was a cool story when Stroman came to the Mets and they became teammates.

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Like (+1) 1

@ExWNYer  @SinceThe70s   @Gugny

I've just been checking the scores of late.  I certainly respect you guys/fans that watch the games now for the late calls up but it's hard for me to get excited about them.  

Perhaps you've seen this clip but only now I came across it.  

I understand I'm really grasping for straws and part of this is nostalgia but I wouldn't mind considering Terry again for manager.  I mean if I recall correctly it felt like his tenure ran its course more than he deserved to be fired?  If the team is going young this is the kind of fiery/passionate manager I'm looking for.  Or has the game been completely overrun by stats at this point 

On 9/9/2023 at 1:40 PM, Another Fan said:

@ExWNYer  @SinceThe70s   @Gugny

I've just been checking the scores of late.  I certainly respect you guys/fans that watch the games now for the late calls up but it's hard for me to get excited about them.  

Perhaps you've seen this clip but only now I came across it.  

I understand I'm really grasping for straws and part of this is nostalgia but I wouldn't mind considering Terry again for manager.  I mean if I recall correctly it felt like his tenure ran its course more than he deserved to be fired?  If the team is going young this is the kind of fiery/passionate manager I'm looking for.  Or has the game been completely overrun by stats at this point 

I loved Terry. 

I’m not sure I’d be thrilled if he came back. But it wouldn’t be the end of the world. 

I do think we need more new school than old school, unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I loved Terry. 

I’m not sure I’d be thrilled if he came back. But it wouldn’t be the end of the world. 

I do think we need more new school than old school, unfortunately.

Is that because you think in general front offices have more power today?  

Outside the Mets I don’t really keep aware of what goes on in a broader sense in baseball