Mets fans?

Another Fan

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I would have been pissed if the Mets paid him what Texas did. 

That said, Texas’ GM should be fired. 

Anyone with a functioning brain knew this was gonna happen. 

6’4”, 180 lbs., throwing 100+ MPH on a  consistent basis is never gonna end well. 

According to my son the Rangers didn't insure the contract. That's unconfirmed but somewhat unbelievable if true.

EDIT: if it's true I'll bet that  the cost of insuring the contract was astronomical. 

Edited by SinceThe70s

On 6/6/2023 at 11:40 PM, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny @SinceThe70s @Another Fan

This team sucks. That is all. #SOFM

image.png.c24b42a938f3802cf95cbcafba3016de.png  image.png.a4da83d49cc4de0db3745a91e7cadb85.png

@SinceThe70s @Gugny

That post pretty much sums it up

What I’m surprised at though is Buck.  Before this year he always very much gave me the impression he is a tough man you do not want to mess with.  But the other night in his press conference he said we a bit when referring to the line ups put out.

Me kind of thinks he only has a certain amount of say on the on field product 

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

@SinceThe70s @Gugny

That post pretty much sums it up

What I’m surprised at though is Buck.  Before this year he always very much gave me the impression he is a tough man you do not want to mess with.  But the other night in his press conference he said we a bit when referring to the line ups put out.

Me kind of thinks he only has a certain amount of say on the on field product 

@Gugny @SinceThe70s

Everything these days is driven by analytics and lineups are largely determined by the GM and the analytics team with very little say by the on field manager. You would think that someone with Buck's experience and years in the game would have more input but I'm not sure if that is actually the case. Managers used to determine lineups, not the pencil-pushers and nerds in the front office. FWIW, I hope the majority of this is not Buck because, if it is, the game has passed him by, IMO. In no world should a team that is supposed to be a contender be trotting out Daniel Vogelbach on a nearly nightly basis. He should have already been DFA'd. Can you imagine a well-run organization like Atlanta regularly playing Vogelbach as their DH? Not a chance in hell. Nothing ever changes with this franchise. They went from penny-pinching owners to the richest owner in baseball and yet the ineptitude continues despite the bloated payroll. Alonso, Alvarez and, to an extent, Baty are the only reasons to even pay attention to this team right now, at least for me. And now Alonso is day-to-day after getting plunked the other night. 1986 seems like a million years ago in the rearview mirror now. I'm starting to think I'll never see another title in my lifetime. <sigh>

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny @SinceThe70s

Everything these days is driven by analytics and lineups are largely determined by the GM and the analytics team with very little say by the on field manager. You would think that someone with Buck's experience and years in the game would have more input but I'm not sure if that is actually the case. Managers used to determine lineups, not the pencil-pushers and nerds in the front office. FWIW, I hope the majority of this is not Buck because, if it is, the game has passed him by, IMO. In no world should a team that is supposed to be a contender be trotting out Daniel Vogelbach on a nearly nightly basis. He should have already been DFA'd. Can you imagine a well-run organization like Atlanta regularly playing Vogelbach as their DH? Not a chance in hell. Nothing ever changes with this franchise. They went from penny-pinching owners to the richest owner in baseball and yet the ineptitude continues despite the bloated payroll. Alonso, Alvarez and, to an extent, Baty are the only reasons to even pay attention to this team right now, at least for me. And now Alonso is day-to-day after getting plunked the other night. 1986 seems like a million years ago in the rearview mirror now. I'm starting to think I'll never see another title in my lifetime. <sigh>

They lost every game vs. Atlanta because of crappy pitching. 

If we can’t count on Verlander and Scherzer to be consistently good, we are fuct. They were both HORRIBLE in this series. 

The way DH has been “addressed,” is totally on Eppler.  I can’t believe Ruf even BEGAN the season on the roster and yes … Vogelbach is pathetic. 

Lots of problems with the team, but I think the majority has been pitching. Terrible. 

The Diaz injury really hurt. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

They lost every game vs. Atlanta because of crappy pitching. 

If we can’t count on Verlander and Scherzer to be consistently good, we are fuct. They were both HORRIBLE in this series. 

The way DH has been “addressed,” is totally on Eppler.  I can’t believe Ruf even BEGAN the season on the roster and yes … Vogelbach is pathetic. 

Lots of problems with the team, but I think the majority has been pitching. Terrible. 

The Diaz injury really hurt. 

After reading @ExWNYer's post i was about to post much of the same thoughts. This season was always about pitching. In particular relying on Scherzer and Verlander which thus far has been a disaster. Throw in the Diaz injury which shortened the bullpen, the starter (whose name I can never remember) going down til July/August and the Peterson suckfest and the bullpen has been further strained/exposed.

Vogelbach needs to go, but IMO that's like complaining about the bread after you dropped big coin on a maggot-ridden filet mignon. 

With regard to the youngsters: Alvarez looks like a beast. I like Baty but I need to see more. Doesn't appear to have a strong arm but if he becomes a stronger hitter that won't matter. Vientos is an enigma. Not sure why he's on the MLB roster if he isn't gonna get at bats. With Pete out maybe he gets a chance. At this point I'd embrace Mauricio at 2B and McNeil in LF.

One last thought courtesy of my son. He suggested a trade of Marte and Vientos for Alek Manoah - who just got sent to the minors. Not sure why the BJ's would want to make that trade - and I suggested that Mauricio might have to be included instead of Vientos - but getting young, high-ceiling pitchers for one or more of our young prospects is worth considering IMIO. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

@ExWNYer @Gugny @Another Fan

Sharing an 'article' from the NY Post. It's pretty much just a long set of quotes from Steve Cohen.  It's either repetitive or consistent depending on your perspective - from my perspective I like Cohen's overall tone and messaging. Two things that stuck out on my first read:

"Verlander went out the other night and pitched three innings. The start before he threw 120 pitches. Is one related to the other? Might be, I don’t know, it’s way above my paygrade."  - um, very few things are above your paygrade Steve!

I liked comparisons to his hedge fudge management and his intent to build internally. 

https://nypost.com/2023/06/10/steve-cohen-not-going-to-blow-up-over-troubling-mets-start/

EDIT: the other thing I wanted to mention is that he channeled a quote that I always attributed to Bobby V: you are never as great as you think you are, and when things are going really bad, you are not as bad as you think you are

Edited by SinceThe70s

On 6/9/2023 at 9:54 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Throw in the Diaz injury which shortened the bullpen, the starter (whose name I can never remember) going down til July/August and the Peterson suckfest and the bullpen has been further strained/exposed.

@Gugny @Another Fan

Jose Quintana

16 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

@ExWNYer @Gugny @Another Fan

Sharing an 'article' from the NY Post. It's pretty much just a long set of quotes from Steve Cohen.  It's either repetitive or consistent depending on your perspective - from my perspective I like Cohen's overall tone and messaging. Two things that stuck out on my first read:

"Verlander went out the other night and pitched three innings. The start before he threw 120 pitches. Is one related to the other? Might be, I don’t know, it’s way above my paygrade."  - um, very few things are above your paygrade Steve!

I liked comparisons to his hedge fudge management and his intent to build internally. 

https://nypost.com/2023/06/10/steve-cohen-not-going-to-blow-up-over-troubling-mets-start/

EDIT: the other thing I wanted to mention is that he channeled a quote that I always attributed to Bobby V: you are never as great as you think you are, and when things are going really bad, you are not as bad as you think you are

I saw the same article and I'm glad that Cohen is not a reactionary hothead like Steinbrenner. That said, seeing is believing. I need some empirical evidence that this organization is truly changing and will be building correctly for the future. We'll see if they foolishly deal some of their better prospects for stop-gap pieces who give the fans some 'hope' but ultimately turn out to be window dressing or if they bite the bullet and try to retool (not rebuild) next year.

One other note: Vientos is playing today but he is not getting enough playing time to be up with the big club. He needs a run of at least a dozen games or so to see if he can show anything. Whether they want to see if he is a building block of the future or whether they want to showcase him as part of a potential deadline deal, sitting him so much will accomplish neither goal. He should either be playing first base while Alonso is out or DHing with Vogelbach's fat ass glued to the bench, lefty/righty match-up be damned. Currently, neither is being done which is the typically inept and shortsighted Met way.

Edited by ExWNYer

2 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny @Another Fan

Jose Quintana

I saw the same article and I'm glad that Cohen is not a reactionary hothead like Steinbrenner. That said, seeing is believing. I need some empirical evidence that this organization is truly changing and will be building correctly for the future. We'll see if they foolishly deal some of their better prospects for stop-gap pieces who give the fans some 'hope' but ultimately turn out to be window dressing or if they bite the bullet and try to retool (not rebuild) next year.

One other note: Vientos is playing today but he is not getting enough playing time to be up with the big club. He needs a run of at least a dozen games or so to see if he can show anything. Whether they want to see if he is a building block of the future or whether they want to showcase him as part of a potential deadline deal, sitting him so much will accomplish neither goal. He should either be playing first base while Alonso is out or DHing with Vogelbach's fat ass glued to the bench, lefty/righty match-up be damned. Currently, neither is being done which is the typically inept and shortsighted Met way.

@Gugny @ExWNYer

Cohen doesn't have to be Steinbrenner but it would be nice to feel the team has a certain amount of urgency/standards.  I wouldn't mind Cohen nagging at the team every now and then.  

How I see it is my boss harps on me at least a few times a day to get things done or to follow up with me to ensure things get done.  And I make a hell of lot less money than these ball players.  Buck saying he's proud of his players dont cut it with me.  

I mean yeah maybe it's different behind the scenes but the vibes I get are it is not.  I'll still follow the team because I enjoy engaging with you guys here and family and friends and what not but as far as being emotionally invested in this team.  Hell no 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

@Gugny @ExWNYer

Cohen doesn't have to be Steinbrenner but it would be nice to feel the team has a certain amount of urgency/standards.  I wouldn't mind Cohen nagging at the team every now and then.  

How I see it is my boss harps on me at least a few times a day to get things done or to follow up with me to ensure things get done.  And I make a hell of lot less money than these ball players.  Buck saying he's proud of his players dont cut it with me.  

I mean yeah maybe it's different behind the scenes but the vibes I get are it is not.  I'll still follow the team because I enjoy engaging with you guys here and family and friends and what not but as far as being emotionally invested in this team.  Hell no 

@Gugny @SinceThe70s

Ditto to the bolded. :beer:

I know hindsight is 20/20 but Lindor is one of the biggest wastes of money in a long time, IMO. He was hitting .218 entering play today and did nothing again in a 2-1 loss. Even his defense has been subpar the last several games. I am at the point that I wish they had held on to Amed Rosario & Andres Gimenez and used the money elsewhere...either for some power bats or starting pitching. Gimenez is coming into his own and is a helluva lot cheaper than Lindor. You guys may not agree but that is just my two cents.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny @SinceThe70s

I know hindsight is 20/20 but Lindor is one of the biggest wastes of money in a long time, IMO. He was hitting .218 entering play today and did nothing again in a 2-1 loss. Even his defense has been subpar the last several games. I am at the point that I wish they had held on to Amed Rosario & Andres Gimenez and used the money elsewhere...either for some power bats or starting pitching. Gimenez is coming into his own and is a helluva lot cheaper than Lindor. You guys may not agree but that is just my two cents.

@Gugny @Another Fan

Ditto to engaging with our small group - I love hearing from perspectives I respect - whether I agree or not. Helps shape my opinion.

Lindor is a fun topic. My closest friend despises him. He hasn't been able to rebut my claim that Lindor's 2022 season was the best season a Mets SS has ever had. At the same time I can acknowledge that while he is an elite defensive SS he's been highly disappointing at the plate years 1 and 3. He's gotta hit above .260 IMO

On a lamp note  - me and the fam will be in attendance this coming Friday courtesy wifeys company tickets. Last year we went and it was DJ night - which was horrifying for me. As is turns out this Friday is LGBT pride night, yippee. TBH  I'm probably more OK with LGBT night than I was with DJ night. Either way I'm there for the game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny @Another Fan

Ditto to engaging with our small group - I love hearing from perspectives I respect - whether I agree or not. Helps shape my opinion.

Lindor is a fun topic. My closest friend despises him. He hasn't been able to rebut my claim that Lindor's 2022 season was the best season a Mets SS has ever had. At the same time I can acknowledge that while he is an elite defensive SS he's been highly disappointing at the plate years 1 and 3. He's gotta hit above .260 IMO

On a lamp note  - me and the fam will be in attendance this coming Friday courtesy wifeys company tickets. Last year we went and it was DJ night - which was horrifying for me. As is turns out this Friday is LGBT pride night, yippee. TBH  I'm probably more OK with LGBT night than I was with DJ night. Either way I'm there for the game.

First of all, enjoy the game!!

And Lindor will come around. I get the batting slump, but the defensive slump perplexes me. 

Maybe he got some Buffalo bartender pregnant or something. 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

I know Cohen said last week that he's not ready to blow things up.

Saw this today, FWIW...

"It was around this time last year when the first manager was fired in Major League Baseball, and it's somewhat unusual for the season to reach the All-Star break without at least one canned. Two months ago, the favorite via oddsmakers to be the first manager dismissed in 2023 was Detroit's AJ Hinch, and he's still in that spot. However, closing fast is the New York Mets' Buck Showalter.

New York lost 2-1 in Pittsburgh on Sunday, its eighth defeat in nine games, to fall to 31-35. The team is much closer to last place in the NL East than first despite an MLB-record payroll of approximately $340 million. To make the playoffs at DraftKings, the Mets are currently +125 and -145 to go home early. One might think having a seven-game losing streak as New York just did would be a playoff killer, but the Mets have made the playoffs twice when having at least a seven-game skid in the regular season, doing so in 1999 and 2015.

It's certainly not Showalter's fault that All-Star closer Edwin Diaz suffered a serious injury in the World Baseball Classic and is likely out for the entire season, or Showalter's fault that the Carlos Correa contract situation didn't work out. Or that Justin Verlander looks past his prime at age 40. Or that mega-durable All-Star first baseman and NL MVP candidate Pete Alonso, with an MLB-best 22 homers, was hit on the wrist by a pitch last week and could miss another month.

The 'Mets Fire Showalter' columns are likely being pre-written as we speak. While it's likely not time to move on from the highly respected manager just yet, time is running out to save this all-in World Series season. Just looking at the division, the Phillies' 2022 campaign completely changed whey then fired Joe Girardi early last June and promoted Rob Thomson to manager. He led them to the World Series."

23 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I know Cohen said last week that he's not ready to blow things up.

Saw this today, FWIW...

"It was around this time last year when the first manager was fired in Major League Baseball, and it's somewhat unusual for the season to reach the All-Star break without at least one canned. Two months ago, the favorite via oddsmakers to be the first manager dismissed in 2023 was Detroit's AJ Hinch, and he's still in that spot. However, closing fast is the New York Mets' Buck Showalter.

New York lost 2-1 in Pittsburgh on Sunday, its eighth defeat in nine games, to fall to 31-35. The team is much closer to last place in the NL East than first despite an MLB-record payroll of approximately $340 million. To make the playoffs at DraftKings, the Mets are currently +125 and -145 to go home early. One might think having a seven-game losing streak as New York just did would be a playoff killer, but the Mets have made the playoffs twice when having at least a seven-game skid in the regular season, doing so in 1999 and 2015.

It's certainly not Showalter's fault that All-Star closer Edwin Diaz suffered a serious injury in the World Baseball Classic and is likely out for the entire season, or Showalter's fault that the Carlos Correa contract situation didn't work out. Or that Justin Verlander looks past his prime at age 40. Or that mega-durable All-Star first baseman and NL MVP candidate Pete Alonso, with an MLB-best 22 homers, was hit on the wrist by a pitch last week and could miss another month.

The 'Mets Fire Showalter' columns are likely being pre-written as we speak. While it's likely not time to move on from the highly respected manager just yet, time is running out to save this all-in World Series season. Just looking at the division, the Phillies' 2022 campaign completely changed whey then fired Joe Girardi early last June and promoted Rob Thomson to manager. He led them to the World Series."

Whoever wrote that overlooked the fact that Correa is having an off year. 

Unless he's lost the clubhouse (and besides pointing at the poor play I haven't seen anything hinting at that) I'll be surprised if Buck gets canned.

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Whoever wrote that overlooked the fact that Correa is having an off year. 

Unless he's lost the clubhouse (and besides pointing at the poor play I haven't seen anything hinting at that) I'll be surprised if Buck gets canned.

I don't see him getting the axe either but if they get off to a slow start again next year I could see them pulling the plug early and going with Beltran again. BTW, how Metsy would it be to see Buck get eighty-sixed either during this year or right after just a season removed from winning 'NL Manager of the Year'? Fun times...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/11/2023 at 6:41 PM, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny @SinceThe70s

This is where I can’t stand the multi million dollar deals.  I’d say after tonight Lindor should be benched.  Send a message as well.  The strikeout in the 8th inning was inexcusable.   But then there’s a matter of You know you’re paying him so much money to be not playing thing.  

But I agree that kind of salary warrants a generational like player not this.  

Theres a silver lining at least about Scherzer and Verlander.  Aaron Rodgers is age wise right in the middle of the 2.   I bet the Jets fans that like the Mets will be more reluctant to be confident in him as a result of Scherzer and Verlander.  

As mentioned previously went to the game tonight. 

The good: 6-1 win with 4 of the runs coming off two out hits.

The bad: the game was just over two hours long. The pace felt unnecessarily rushed with the pitch clock.

The ugly: second straight year I went to a Friday DJ night - ugh.

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/16/2023 at 11:19 PM, SinceThe70s said:

The bad: the game was just over two hours long. The pace felt unnecessarily rushed with the pitch clock.

@Gugny. @ExWNYer

At least you got to see a win.  I went to yesterday's game.  First time in about 8 years I made the trek out to Citifield.  Drove up to North Jersey and connected via PATH trains.

A long story short with my experience some good nostalgia and some sadness of how things aren't what they are.  

The game itself:

I cant say I like Adam Wainwright but that is impressive imo he's almost 42 and stayed with the Cardinals so long.

Mark Canha had a brutal day.  0 for 3 with grounding into a double play and missing a foul ball pop up which didn't go as an error.  The woman behind me said Canha Can't which was actually kinda funny.  

Big Dan I think struck out to end the bottom of the 8th.  At least 1/2 the crowd cleared out at that point which showed to me fans have no faith that the team will or can come back.  Even against the Cardinals.

But yeah still cool as a Mets fan to schlep out there every once in a while or every few years.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/16/2023 at 11:19 PM, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny

I watched that game. I'm not sure I believe you...I didn't see you anywhere in the crowd. 😁 (j/k)

BTW, unfortunately for you, you were witness to the fastest Met game so far this season (2:01). The previous fastest was either 2:03 or 2:04. 

Lastly, I am not a fan of the black jerseys. I can handle the Friday night black jersey games, I guess, but I was pissed to see them earlier in the week for the first game against the Skanks.

14 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

@Gugny. @ExWNYer

At least you got to see a win.  I went to yesterday's game.  First time in about 8 years I made the trek out to Citifield.  Drove up to North Jersey and connected via PATH trains.

A long story short with my experience some good nostalgia and some sadness of how things aren't what they are.  

The game itself:

I cant say I like Adam Wainwright but that is impressive imo he's almost 42 and stayed with the Cardinals so long.

Mark Canha had a brutal day.  0 for 3 with grounding into a double play and missing a foul ball pop up which didn't go as an error.  The woman behind me said Canha Can't which was actually kinda funny.  

Big Dan I think struck out to end the bottom of the 8th.  At least 1/2 the crowd cleared out at that point which showed to me fans have no faith that the team will or can come back.  Even against the Cardinals.

But yeah still cool as a Mets fan to schlep out there every once in a while or every few years.  

Cool that you got to make it out to a game, even if it was a loss. In fairness to Canha, he was one of the only guys delivering over the last couple of weeks but he has since gone belly up, too. Nobody else stepped up to help him out and here we are. Canha is supposed to be a piece, not one of the main pieces. You never know what you're going to get with this team. Just as you leave them for dead after a 2-9 stretch, they win two in a row to make you raise an eyebrow only to fall at home yet again to another lousy team throwing an ancient pitcher on his last legs. This squad really misses Alonso but, even with him in the lineup, they were still scuffling.

As an aside, I think Verlander still has something in the tank and will give them a good outing more often than not but I am almost fully convinced at this point that Scherzer is cooked for good. I hope he proves me wrong. If they get nothing out of him & Lindor and Lindor continues to be a huge waste of oxygen and payroll, this team will be relegated to second division status anyway. Lindor is barely above 'The Mendoza Line' 70 games into the season. Hey, Francisco, it's not early anymore. At least we have one Francisco worth cheering for...when Buck decides to leave him in the lineup. Thanks for being a Met prospect who seems to be living up to the billing and then some, Mr. Alvarez.

Happy Father's Day to all.

LGM!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I watched that game. I'm not sure I believe you...I didn't see you anywhere in the crowd. 😁 (j/k)

You probably did see me - I was the one that looked simply fabulous! It wasn't the usual crowd, that's for sure. But that's not why I'm posting.

Remarkably Pete is back today!! Vientos is the casualty as he got sent down. I'm fine with that because it made absolutely no sense that they brought him up only to have him ride the pine more often than not.

@Gugny @Another Fan

• Like (+1) 1