Getting the top pick in 2018 ?

"scouts were buzzing".... ahhhh lets trade assets next year and give up an elite player at pick 10 because this season doesn't matter. Scouts. Buzzing.

I have no issues going into 2018 with a favorite cfb QB to watch but a lot can change before now and then. This particular QB has played 9 games. He didn't even win the job at USC last year until Max Brown got benched. I think he looks good so far but you can't guarantee he will continue to improve, stay healthy and declare. Bottom line is I wouldn't compromise anything for this season for the purpose of trying to get this or any QB next year, at this stage. If it turns out one if worth trading up for at that point, then you make that call. I'm not convinced of that with any of them yet. Imo.

My point is solely to prepare for that. I think Bills should always prepare for drafting the Franchise qb.

But the less you have to give up to get there, the better. Until the Bills have one they should be preparing for that day.

I could never tolerate a "tank" from the Bills. But they could be smarter with drafting.

Also I am not going criticize Tyrod in any way with my opinion.

Feel that the Sammy pick was a mistake. Not because of Sammy. but because Whaley lost ground from the error. I have forgiven him, but i expect to never trade up for non QB again. ever.

Love it! Seriously was laughing out loud!

That is so funny on so many different levels!

If he had not hit the brakes hard at the apogee, he might have saved it.

Dude pure panicked.

Let that be a lesson to us all.

Bridges tend to get you over things.

truly fine work right there 13. just well done indeed

"Where's that confounded bridge?"

has anyone seen the Bridge?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't even need the top pick...there are 4 guys who will be worthy of top 10 picks...as long as we are top 10 we are solid.

I love the notion of your idea

The problem is you need alot of extra draft picks to be able to afford to make that deal

Specifically 2018 and 2019 draft picks

So first off our Bills have to stop trading picks away for WR's, RB's, and LB's

And instead starts acquiring extra draft picks

And we could use those 2 comps mgmt and very few people on message boards care about

Because those extra 3rd and 4th 2018 we're not getting would really help acquire that top pick

If you ever meet the Bills braintrust you should spell it out for em

jc

the problem is that no one in the organization thinks past their noses...OBD's planning strategy basically consists of what snack they are craving that minute.

Edited by JaCrispy

I think the Op-ed's point, worthy or not, is that our Bills should be thinking forward to landing the next potential franchise QB, whether that is in this draft, which is unlikely, the Prescott/Wilson phenomenon where a more less hyped QB emerges, or the next draft, which he thinks it is

Regardless of whether he is correct, or not, and besides the fact that his notion is a little fantastical, you know picking which team will finish last, which is impossible to do, and make a trade now for the future possibility of trading up

My point is the teams that usually trade up in the first round, usually have spare draft picks, that's how they can afford to make that kind of deal, but we don't, the whole mindset here is not about acquiring extra draft picks to put us into position to grab that QB, instead we keep trading away picks for WR, RB's and ILB's, none of whom have so far helped us have a successful season

I at least think the op-ed is at least the right direction about at least doing something more concrete about building a long term winning program here, clearly the folks running it now, haven't shown their methodology works, certainly not by wins and losses anyway, making this kind of a bold move is at least an attempt to think it through a bit more, lol

I said it on the comp pick thread, I won't bet on all the DW dumpster diving 2017 FA off season signings not making the team come Sept, one is bound to over achieve, maybe even make an impact, and perhaps more than one, but I will bet in comparison to your average NFL 3rd and 4th rounders, those picks we are no longer getting, they would have at least been on our roster between 2018 and 2022, that none of the FA pickups DW made this season, save Hyde, will still be in Bills uniform 4 years from now

Now there's long term planning at its finest...

jc

The issue is Sam might not come out after this year as he's still has three years of college eligibility so he could do a Luck/Manning thing and just stay in school to develop his skills.

true but then we could do the same thing next yr :D

You don't play for next f en year. Stop the bull crap.

We are still playing this yr but are you sold on TT being the GUY ? not me, until we get a franchise QB we will be going in circles

I love the notion of your idea

The problem is you need alot of extra draft picks to be able to afford to make that deal

Specifically 2018 and 2019 draft picks

So first off our Bills have to stop trading picks away for WR's, RB's, and LB's

And instead starts acquiring extra draft picks

And we could use those 2 comps mgmt and very few people on message boards care about

Because those extra 3rd and 4th 2018 we're not getting would really help acquire that top pick

if you ever meet the Bills braintrust you should spell it out for em

jc

this is why Whaley's time is short.

Only if we guess correctly as to who might be the worst team and they are willing to do the deal. As I say of the three worst teams from 2016 I think the Bears might be the best shot, both to be bad and be willing.

better than not trying, plus this could put us closer to the other top QBs in that draft that blow this yrs crop out of the water.

Bridges tend to get you over things.

or burnt

who in the Bills organization has said he is a bridge QB?

Why does anyone bother to go to the games this year?

by bullying him down on his contract the FO doesn't believe in him so at best he is a bridge

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Hmm, I've seen USC QB's praised as the seconding coming in QB terms then fall off the following season but all the experts figure Darnold will be a can't miss. I, myself, think it's 50/50 where he can regress and not be the guy whoever think he will be. Matt Barkley comes to mind, everyone was high on him until he stayed one more year and his stock went way down.

Barkley was a bum, I suggest watching Darnold first.

I think the Op-ed's point, worthy or not, is that our Bills should be thinking forward to landing the next potential franchise QB, whether that is in this draft, which is unlikely, the Prescott/Wilson phenomenon where a more less hyped QB emerges, or the next draft, which he thinks it is

Regardless of whether he is correct, or not, and besides the fact that his notion is a little fantastical, you know picking which team will finish last, which is impossible to do, and make a trade now for the future possibility of trading up

My point is the teams that usually trade up in the first round, usually have spare draft picks, that's how they can afford to make that kind of deal, but we don't, the whole mindset here is not about acquiring extra draft picks to put us into position to grab that QB, instead we keep trading away picks for WR, RB's and ILB's, none of whom have so far helped us have a successful season

I at least think the op-ed is at least the right direction about at least doing something more concrete about building a long term winning program here, clearly the folks running it now, haven't shown their methodology works, certainly not by wins and losses anyway, making this kind of a bold move is at least an attempt to think it through a bit more, lol

I said it on the comp pick thread, I won't bet on all the DW dumpster diving 2017 FA off season signings not making the team come Sept, one is bound to over achieve, maybe even make an impact, and perhaps more than one, but I will bet in comparison to your average NFL 3rd and 4th rounders, those picks we are no longer getting, they would have at least been on our roster between 2018 and 2022, that none of the FA pickups DW made this season, save Hyde, will still be in Bills uniform 4 years from now

Now there's long term planning at its finest...

jc

:thumbsup:

why would a GM fighting for his immediate survival look to the future by trading away this years draft assets for future year assets ?

the last time whaley thought his job was on the line, he did just the opposite of what OP is proposing by using future draft picks to trade up for sammy.

this a QB driven league

any of the Top 4 QB's coming out this year will be better than cardale jones.

TT's contract says they don't believe he is the long term answer.

stop putting off drafting the QB of the future.....use the #10 pick on a QB

Edited by papazoid

better than not trying, plus this could put us closer to the other top QBs in that draft that blow this yrs crop out of the water.

As I've said before I don't really look years ahead on QBs so you may well be right. I like this year's class more than you do though. I think there are guys you can have success with here and as such am open to a QB at #10 this year. A trade to pick up an extra 1st next year is something I wouldn't hate though. If next year's class bombs out punt one of your picks into the following year again and keep doing it until you think the right guy is there. It would be radical but it is an option.

If our Bills really think there's a serviceable future starting QB at #10 I hope they grab him

If they are right its a great hedge against TT injuries while also looking ahead to 2018-2019 and beyond

If they are wrong well it'll unfort be yet another wasted first round draft pick but with QB's you have to risk that

It does sound sound like a much easier plan to execute than what the op-ed suggested...

jc