Winning the Off-Season every year.

Great thread - Amazing post - I concur 100%

All I keep reading, on just about every thread on every single FA pickup, is how its such a strong signing, and DW is a terrific GM, and how he keeps finding diamonds in the rough, etc, ad naseum, and how incredible this off season is, etc

However the real truth is so far its an off season where we lost more high profile talent than we have gained, and for every good signing DW might make, and he's absolutely made some in the past, there's 2 to 3 that equally bust, fans just like to focus on the one's that are successful, like Lorax, and completely forgot about all the CB's and S's that failed for us last year, and the countless WR's that didn't produce

The other real truth is that DW is not a terrific GM, worthy of these message board accolades, where folks are ready to put his tie and jacket on the stadium wall, he at best a mediocre manager, who has yet to produce a single winning season in the the NFL, so in actuality all these signings cannot possibly be all solid one's, for if they all were, we'd have won, at least once, 10-12 plus games a season during his tenure

That's not saying DW doesn't have the potential to build a successful 53 man roster, and or maybe this years moves will result in a 10+ win season, but there's no track record of date to suggest this will happen other than blind faith that a coaching change, with a rookie NFL HC will yield better results

So I get that your atypical fan wants to build up, and cheer wildly, on every single FA move, and I get that fans automatically love new players who become Buffalo Bills, for awhile they can do no wrong, our HC talks em up, its called potential, and off season hype, even if the said player hasn't played much the last couple of years, were never a legit NFL starter, have awful PFF ratings, and were not coveted by their former teams, lol

And I get an equally huge thrill when we go out and bring in a Lorax, and or Zack, or other dumpster dive backup over achieves while in a Bills uni, that was some year Spikes had, but at the same time I think fans forget that the only team objective is, to win 10 games plus, not to have a couple of FA's over achieve, in this regard, it would nice to see a little more honesty here, and admit, all these unbelievable off season FA signings, don't point to our Bills winning more than 8 games this season, and In that context, I'm not sure how the totality of these incredible roster moves are really all that good if it does not result in winning any more games than the previous season, and playoff berth

Plus Thurman is bang on when he bring up that the totality of these off season moves resulted in losing two high draft picks the NFL was ready to compensate us for losing Gilmore and Woods, look, if we win 11 games this year, even I won't care, but if we only win 7, you might as well as punched us in the gut, to know we could have had a 3rd and 4th rounder in 2018, but gave it up, so we could fill a roster in 2017 with a bunch of depth players, why?

I think we all want to see our team finally be successful, and I'm not saying a dumpster dive off season like signing like Poyer might not pan out, maybe he will, but the reality is, they all won't pan out, despite the message board hype, and if the end we don;t win 10 games, then DW didn't actually do a good job, he just redelivered mediocrity, that folks jumped with joy with as it unfolded

Sorry for the brutal honestly, but it is food for thought...

jc

I missed the part where we won the offseason. We failed to land Tony Romo, Alshon Jeffery, and Ricky Wagner.

The coach wakes up at 5am to practice roundhouse kicks and we picked up Andre Holmes, what did I miss ?

Rex wanted to build a bully. McDermott is the bully. Hey, even if we win 5 games our coach can beat up your coach!

Great thread - Amazing post - I concur 100%

All I keep reading, on just about every thread on every single FA pickup, is how its such a strong signing, and DW is a terrific GM, and how he keeps finding diamonds in the rough, etc, ad naseum, and how incredible this off season is, etc

However the real truth is so far its an off season where we lost more high profile talent than we have gained, and for every good signing DW might make, and he's absolutely made some in the past, there's 2 to 3 that equally bust, fans just like to focus on the one's that are successful, like Lorax, and completely forgot about all the CB's and S's that failed for us last year, and the countless WR's that didn't produce

The other real truth is that DW is not a terrific GM, worthy of these message board accolades, where folks are ready to put his tie and jacket on the stadium wall, he at best a mediocre manager, who has yet to produce a single winning season in the the NFL, so in actuality all these signings cannot possibly be all solid one's, for if they all were, we'd have won, at least once, 10-12 plus games a season during his tenure

That's not saying DW doesn't have the potential to build a successful 53 man roster, and or maybe this years moves will result in a 10+ win season, but there's no track record of date to suggest this will happen other than blind faith that a coaching change, with a rookie NFL HC will yield better results

So I get that your atypical fan wants to build up, and cheer wildly, on every single FA move, and I get that fans automatically love new players who become Buffalo Bills, for awhile they can do no wrong, our HC talks em up, its called potential, and off season hype, even if the said player hasn't played much the last couple of years, were never a legit NFL starter, have awful PFF ratings, and were not coveted by their former teams, lol

And I get an equally huge thrill when we go out and bring in a Lorax, and or Zack, or other dumpster dive backup over achieves while in a Bills uni, that was some year Spikes had, but at the same time I think fans forget that the only team objective is, to win 10 games plus, not to have a couple of FA's over achieve, in this regard, it would nice to see a little more honesty here, and admit, all these unbelievable off season FA signings, don't point to our Bills winning more than 8 games this season, and In that context, I'm not sure how the totality of these incredible roster moves are really all that good if it does not result in winning any more games than the previous season, and playoff berth

Plus Thurman is bang on when he bring up that the totality of these off season moves resulted in losing two high draft picks the NFL was ready to compensate us for losing Gilmore and Woods, look, if we win 11 games this year, even I won't care, but if we only win 7, you might as well as punched us in the gut, to know we could have had a 3rd and 4th rounder in 2018, but gave it up, so we could fill a roster in 2017 with a bunch of depth players, why?

I think we all want to see our team finally be successful, and I'm not saying a dumpster dive off season like signing like Poyer might not pan out, maybe he will, but the reality is, they all won't pan out, despite the message board hype, and if the end we don;t win 10 games, then DW didn't actually do a good job, he just redelivered mediocrity, that folks jumped with joy with as it unfolded

Sorry for the brutal honestly, but it is food for thought...

jc

Didn't we go 9-7 in 2014 ?...

Sorry, Iron, to me a winning season is when you have more wins than losses and also qualify for the playoffs, but I will give you props that going 9-7 after going 6-10 was very exciting, and that most here likely thought our team was going in the right direction, I certainly did, being built to to be more successful than it had been in the past, and that DW was an up and coming GM who could deliver us to the playoffs

Unfort we were all wrong

So I wonder why the same folks who loved every moves and transaction the last two seasons, after seeing the actual results on the field, can be so hyped and positive about what we have done this off season, let alone every FA signing, IMO on paper, we still look like a middling 7-8 team, maybe worse, in fact with alot less front line starting talent

I don't see that we've assembled a 10 win plus roster, do you? And you honestly think that, sure I can understand the hype on all the off season moves, but if we've only assembled a 7 win team, then perhaps we need to admit, say be a little more honest, that these moves don't really amount too all that much..

jc

Edited by wilcoam

Has there ever been an off-season that you thought was a disaster?

The entire offseason is difficult for me to say.

There were drafts that I was not happy with.

I hated the pick of Aaron Maybin, but I did like that we took Eric Wood & Andy Levitre.

I was not happy with drafting E.J. Manuel, but we did get Robert Woods & Kiko Alonso.

Marv Levy's time as GM is something I don't want to remember.

Tom Donahoe was great at free agency: London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, Sam Adams, Lawyer Milloy. But then he drafted players like Willis McGahee & J.P. Losman.

So it's a mixed bag with me.

Myself personally,

Keeping Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo and having a new innovative minded HC that was able to see past Taylors shortcomings to reach this decision was enough to call this a winning offseason for me.

The West Coast Offensive system and hand picked coaches to help steer Taylor in the right direction is icing on the cake.

Give us O J Howard and let the New Era begin...

I'm a Billiever...