Wild Parrotts Of SF

Dante

There were a group of wild parrots in Sunnyvale, CA when I lived there from 95-98, Were about a block away and you could hear them make a ton of noise around sundown,

We've have them ( a different kind, but similar) here by work for as long as I have been here... Which is almost 30 years. Ours are called: monk parakeets. They have colonies in New York City, Dallas, & Austin, etc... Other parts of Chicago, like up in Hyde Park have them too.

Here @ work, they live in cocoons a few miles away, @ a golf course... In the oak trees The cocoons protect them in the winter. They fly over to here, and through the years, I noticed they like the locust trees. Pods that the locust trees have? They are noisy and fly in flocks. Kind of neat to see them flying around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk_parakeet

"In Chicago, the origin of the monk parakeets is unknown, but they may be escaped birds from O'Hare airport or unwanted pets.[24] The species first appeared in the 1960s and is continuing to thrive despite unusual bad winters that occurred in the 1980s and in 2014.[24] The birds are welcomed in the city especially by bird watchers and were involved in a 2012 ornithological study.[24] The population is estimated to be at 1,000 birds, with healthy colonies located in several of the city's parks.[24]Austin, Texas, also has a thriving Monk parakeet population.[25]"

Monk1.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Beautiful birds. We watch birds here and not seen any out of area native flocks unfortunately.

Yep... I think they are pretty too. We get deckhands on the barges that ask if any are around... Want to see them because others tell them about our "parrots." Most of the time, you hear the noisy, squabbling bastages! Then look for the bright green!