Tubular Boobular Joy- MST3K

Roundybout

The discussion in the favorite movies thread inspired me to create this one.

For those unaware, Mystery Science Theatre 3000 was a cult classic show that ran from '89 to the late 1990s on Comedy Central, and, later, the Sci Fi channel.

It centered on a "guy named Joel" who has been trapped in space because "his bosses didn't like him." As part of their experiment, he is forced to watch terrible B-movies while his bosses monitor his brain.

To stay sane, Joel creates some robot friends, Tom Servo, Crow T. Robot, Gypsy and Cambot. Together, they riff on the terrible movies and keep their sanity. Joel was replaced with Mike Nelson halfway through, carrying the show for another 5 seasons.

Here's a sample of what might be the guys at their peak form:

I know we have a few MST3K fans here...do we have more?

What are your favorite episodes? You guys excited for the reboot?

Discuss!

Thanks for starting this thread.

Love this show, and I'm really looking forward to the re-boot on Netflix. Patton Oswalt & Felicia Day should make it fun.

As much as I enjoy this show, I have not watched every single episode they ever made.

I have plenty of favorite episodes: "I Accuse My Parents", "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians", "Hercules", "Zombie Nightmare", "Monster A Go-Go", "The Day the Earth Froze", "The Magic Voyage of Sinbad", "It Conquered the World", "The Amazing Colossal Man", "The Giant Gila Monster", "Time of the Apes", "Pod People".

The most painful movies I've seen, even if they were funny getting the MST treatment are: "Manos: The Hands of Fate". "Ring of Terror", "Red Zone Cuba", "Invasion of the Neptune Men", "Hobgoblins", "Danger!! Death Ray" "Castle of Fu Manchu".

I hope that the new season will still keep the end credits theme, and also have those great stingers at the end.

Here's all of the stingers from season 2:

Edited by Mark Vader

Almost every episode is at clubmst3k.com. Sometimes the production companies pull them (The Thing that Couldn't Die was pulled from a long time) but usually they are on YouTube.

Just finished I Accuse My Parents. Hilarious.

Invastion of the Neptune men is the worst movie I've ever seen. Very little entertainment value, even with M+TB's treatment. The only thing I remember is the aliens blowing up the Hitler Building (stock footage)

Almost every episode is at clubmst3k.com. Sometimes the production companies pull them (The Thing that Couldn't Die was pulled from a long time) but usually they are on YouTube.

Just finished I Accuse My Parents. Hilarious.

Invastion of the Neptune men is the worst movie I've ever seen. Very little entertainment value, even with M+TB's treatment. The only thing I remember is the aliens blowing up the Hitler Building (stock footage)

I Accuse My Parents is a great MST3K. The songs in that movie...LOL. Also love the short before that, "Truck Farmer".

Neptune Men is a tough one to sit through.

I Accuse My Parents is a great MST3K. The songs in that movie...LOL. Also love the short before that, "Truck Farmer".

Neptune Men is a tough one to sit through.

Joel was definitely a little darker with his riffing. Lots of "edgy" jokes!

God, I loved MST3K! My favorite was The Lost World. The move they did (This Island Earth) was also great.I take it old episodes are available on Netflix? I have a bunch of the DVD's. If new episodes are coming to Netflix, I'm in.

God, I loved MST3K! My favorite was The Lost World. The move they did (This Island Earth) was also great.I take it old episodes are available on Netflix? I have a bunch of the DVD's. If new episodes are coming to Netflix, I'm in.

Yep, they just put 20 episodes on Netflix a few days ago. Not sure when the new Season is out but it'll be on Netflix.

You can also watch full episodes on Youtube

Yep, they just put 20 episodes on Netflix a few days ago. Not sure when the new Season is out but it'll be on Netflix.

The new season on Netflix will be released on April 14. :)

And they also just released a trailer:

Edited by Mark Vader

You can also watch full episodes on Youtube

The new season on Netflix will be released on April 14. :)

And they also just released a trailer:

Wow, who did they get for Crow? Sounds just like Trace did.

MST3K ah what a great show. The perfect thing to put on when you don't know what to watch, or if you don't feel like paying full attention and want to make dinner or do something else productive while watching.

Last one i saw was terrible though, "The Dead Talk Back". That movie was so bad that the guys didn't know what to do with it. I almost didn't make it to the end and when i did i regretted it.

Watched "Space Mutiny". Late 80's sci-fi.

This was a real laugher. Great job by Mike & the bots.

This movie was so cheap that they used footage from Battlestar Galactica.

Slab Bulkhead

Thick McRunfast

Big LargeHuge

Smoke Manmuscle

Bob Johnson - oh wait.

Edited by GhostsofBillsPast

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched Reptillicus and liked it quite a bit.

I think it fits in quite well with the feel of the originals.

Reptillicus was absolutely hysterical. The scene where the creature eats a cartoon drawing father from the farm house was, quite possibly, the best special effects ever. My son and I were laughing our heads off.

reptilicus-animation-insert.jpg

Edited by LABillzFan

Reptillicus was absolutely hysterical. The scene where the creature eats a cartoon drawing father from the farm house was, quite possibly, the best special effects ever. My son and I were laughing our heads off.

reptilicus-animation-insert.jpg

I'm not sure I've ever seen worse special effects and that includes previous MST3K episodes.

This was pretty funny.

I actually had to rewind it during the fake monster eating a cartoon just to make sure I saw it correctly.