Things Taylor did on the field in 2016 that kept him around

Church of Tyrod. A true CoT'er would place none of the blame on Tyrod and solely the defense.

You're not ready for Sainthood yet. Lol ! Our answers will be here soon enough.

yeah, I'm definitely not in the church of taylor, or any church for that matter and don't worship players. more of a team fan. that is why my hopes are that both sides of the ball improve, including taylors game as well as special teams. new coach, new season and hoping for the best. the one thing I don't have the ability to do as some in this thread have shown is state as a fact that he fails. frankly, if he does then you may as well call the season a wash. hence my stating I will just allow everything to pan out and wait patiently for the season to get here.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And again for the millionth time it did not matter who lined up as WR as they were open a lot, game in and game out per the All 22. Street FA, practice squad guys, WR #3, #4, #5, #6, TEs, etc it didn't effing matter as they were open. The WR, TE did their jobs and got open, the QB failed miserably and didn't get them the ball.

Enough of this he didn't have his top WRs as an excuse. It's lame and it's false!

It's false?

Wait, so you're saying he did have his top WRs despite the fact that Woods and Watkins missed a combined 11 games this NFL season?

Are you saying that Goodwin, Hunter, Powell, and Tate are his top WRs? I know you can't be saying that, because the fact that he didn't have his top WRs is 100% true.

So, what you must be saying is that all those other guys were constantly open in the way true #1 and #2 WRs get open... am I right?

If that's what you're saying, I think you should spend some time going and watching #1 and #2 WRs across the NFL and examine not only how they get open but the types of contested catches and plays those guys make on the NFL field. Heck, you can just examine Watkins and Woods themselves.

There's a reason Taylor was significantly better as a passer in every statistical category when he had both Woods and Watkins on the field.

Sure, you can point to individual plays where those other scrubs got open. But you aren't providing the context of your argument when you do that... are they getting as open as consistently as #1 and #2 WRs across the NFL? How often do those other QBs across the NFL simply not throw a pass to those guys?

That's what you really need to look at.

Your argument is one I've seen made by Thurm when we were over at BBMB. And it's an argument in a vacuum, with absolutely no context whatsoever.

Provide the context if you want. Otherwise you're just making a claim that has little meaning.

Church of Tyrod. A true CoT'er would place none of the blame on Tyrod and solely the defense.

You're not ready for Sainthood yet. Lol ! Our answers will be here soon enough.

CoT'er.

Cute. At least it's creative, if childish.

yeah, I'm definitely not in the church of taylor, or any church for that matter and don't worship players. more of a team fan. that is why my hopes are that both sides of the ball improve, including taylors game as well as special teams. new coach, new season and hoping for the best. the one thing I don't have the ability to do as some in this thread have shown is state as a fact that he fails. frankly, if he does then you may as well call the season a wash. hence my stating I will just allow everything to pan out and wait patiently for the season to get here.

Amen

What are you talking about?

When was Taylor available for all the other GMs around the league to go after?

I winced.

Taylor sucked in those games.

In fact, after the Steelers game, I wanted him benched and I wanted Jones to start the rest of the season.

I did all that, while also blaming the defense...

I can't stand it when people think it's gotta be only one or the other.

Some here said we would release Tyrod and he would double his salary elsewhere. With the paycut/restructure he could have declined and went elsewhere if interested no ? I'm not a big cap or free agent guy. With the restructure his agent could find out what the market was and declined/move on I think??

And yes those that solely blame one side are beyong annoying. Both sides must improve.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

CoT.

Tyrod makes the running game. It's not the power blockers and Shady.

Bills don't pass the ball because they don't want to.

Bills put up points. All Tyrod. Not the offensive gameplan, offensive line, running backs or Shady or Sammy

Tyrod took a paycut because he wants more weapons, not because no one else wanted him.

Tyrod can't hit a slant pass because two different offensive coordinators decided not to use it in the gameplan.

Tyrod needs all-pro WR 1, WR 2, RB, TE, TE2, offensive line at every position. If he doesn't get that his results are not valid.

I see that this place really is pretty much BBMB 2.0.

Same lunatic extremists who can't read or find the middle ground.

Too bad.

I see that this place really is pretty much BBMB 2.0.

Same lunatic extremists who can't read or find the middle ground.

Too bad.

Plenty of good middlers here. Plenty of Tyrod apologists, plenty of Whaley haters, plenty of Brandon haters and Koolaid drinkers

Stick around and you will see whose who. All In all its very very solid.

CoT.

Tyrod makes the running game. It's not the power blockers and Shady.

Bills don't pass the ball because they don't want to.

Bills put up points. All Tyrod. Not the offensive gameplan, offensive line, running backs or Shady or Sammy

Tyrod took a paycut because he wants more weapons, not because no one else wanted him.

Tyrod can't hit a slant pass because two different offensive coordinators decided not to use it in the gameplan.

Tyrod needs all-pro WR 1, WR 2, RB, TE, TE2, offensive line at every position. If he doesn't get that his results are not valid.

That's not what Anthony Lynn said in one of his last interviews with WGR.

He said the passing game wasn't there all season. He also said if they had that, they could have opened up the offense even more.

He did bring up injuries because yes, that was a factor. He also brought up Tyrod needed to improve on downfield throwing and anticipation.

Tyrod knows he has to work on these...hopefully the light comes on.

Edited by Teeflebees

That's not what Anthony Lynn said in one of his last interviews with WGR.

He said the passing game wasn't there all season. He also said if they had that, they could have opened up the offense even more.

He did bring up injuries because yes, that was a factor. He also brought up Tyrod needed to improve on downfield throwing and anticipation.

Tyrod knows he has to work on these...hopefully the light comes on.

And who is responsible for throwing the football? CoT says Tyrod didn't throw slants because his offensive coordinators didn't call them.

Some here said we would release Tyrod and he would double his salary elsewhere. With the paycut/restructure he could have declined and went elsewhere if interested no ? I'm not a big cap or free agent guy. With the restructure his agent could find out what the market was and declined/move on I think??

And yes those that solely blame one side are beyong annoying. Both sides must improve.

Oh... so you know what happened and what the motives were for all parties?

Look, I'm no mind reader, but I can speak from personal experience that sometimes where you are and who you're surrounded by and working conditions matter more than the money. And I'm not talking just a few thousand dollars here or there, I'm talking about doubling your paychecks. I choose less and I'm happier for it.

I'm not going to make the argument that it's obvious that Taylor took a paycut because he's a team guy, but at the same time, that's what he says:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/09/said-buffalo-bills-transcripts-sean-mcdermott-tyrod-taylor/

Q: What convinced you restructuring was the right thing?

A: Just going back and meeting with Coach McDermott, the relationship I had with Coach Rico, (Offensive Coordinator) Rick Dennison, working with them before – actually getting a chance to work with (Quarterbacks) Coach (David) Culley at the Pro Bowl, that was a quick week, but just being around those guys. Actually been up here for the two months I was here for my rehab and being in the facility every day for close to six hours and getting a chance to know the coaches and their vision for this team. Just thought moving forward, if we could work out something for both sides, it would be beneficial. This is the place to be. Like I’ve said from day one, my commitment is to this team, to this community, to do whatever it takes to get a winning tradition back and I’m still committed to doing that each and every day.

Q: Did you explore other options and was it a case where you didn’t see anything financially better?

A: There were a few teams out there but I mean I’m still under contract. It wasn’t like I was released or anything, so I mean I couldn’t do too much and I wasn’t looking to do that. My focus this past offseason was to get healthy first and foremost with having the surgery early in January. My sole focus was to get healthy and let my agent find a way to make things work here and we were able to get something done yesterday. I’m excited to be back.

Q: You expressed some concerns and worries about your future in Buffalo after being benched in Week 17. How did you reconcile what happened with that and where you are now?

A: At the time, did I know that I would be back? No. I didn’t know what the next step for me was but I’ve learned from that situation and I’ve put it behind me. It’s a new coaching staff in here. Like I said, there’s some coaches that I’ve worked with before. Got a chance to talk to Coach McDermott since his first day here and like I said, the vision that he has for this team and our conversations have been very good since day one. Like I said, I put what happened with the last week of last year’s season behind me. Was I happy about it? At the time, no. Will it still fuel me during workouts and moving forward? Yes, but ultimately I’m happy that I’m back here competing with the guys in this locker room.

Q: Sitting out of practice that week and seeing how that played out, did you ever envision being where you are today?

A: I didn’t sit out of practice. That was for injury reasons. But like I said, I didn’t know at the time. I don’t think anyone knew at the time. There was uncertainty as far as with what the head coaching situation would be this year coming up, there was a lot of uncertainty. I think a lot of questions were unanswered at the time and we had to see what the next step was going to be as far as coaching-wise. Like I said, once I met the coaches and seen what they were putting in, definitely a place that I wanted to be and like I said, I’m happy that I’m here.

Q: After signing that contract last August, did you play this year with the thought in your mind that you might not see this thing through? How did that factor into your thinking throughout the year?

A: I didn’t really focus on that. Once I signed the deal, my focus was on to do whatever it takes to help win games. Our season didn’t go as well as we would have liked it to last year. On the personal side as well, too, I could have been better. They chose to restructure – we chose to restructure – and I think moving forward as far as the team, to help bring in more pieces, it was the best thing for both sides to do.

It's constantly about how excited he is to be back in Buffalo and how much he just wanted to make things work. At no point does he say he wasn't going to get much on the open market. If you want to infer that's what he means, that's fine, but your just guessing.

I know in the world of modern sports where everyone just goes to the highest bidder it's virtually impossible to comprehend that some people would actually take less to help a team, but when you're talking about the amount of money Taylor is guaranteed, you're talking about a guy who is already set for life. If he's grounded (maybe he is, maybe he isn't), he understands that (maybe he does, maybe he doesn't).

I don't care why he restructured.

If I take him at face value, it's because he really likes Buffalo (City, team, coaches, etc.) and views it as the best fit for him, both professionally and personally.

If I start making guess based off generalities about human tendencies, it's because there was some tampering going on behind the scenes with NFL GMs who were giving him and his agent a significantly lower-than-expected market value and so he tucked tail and ran back to Buffalo.

I know that you think the 2nd is the obvious truth, but forgive me if I remain skeptical and continue to call people out who choose to call that unquestionable reality.

Look, I'm no mind reader, but I can speak from personal experience that sometimes where you are and who you're surrounded by and working conditions matter more than the money. And I'm not talking just a few thousand dollars here or there, I'm talking about doubling your paychecks. I choose less and I'm happier for it.

I'm not going to make the argument that it's obvious that Taylor took a paycut because he's a team guy, but at the same time, that's what he says:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/09/said-buffalo-bills-transcripts-sean-mcdermott-tyrod-taylor/

A: Just going back and meeting with Coach McDermott, the relationship I had with Coach Rico, (Offensive Coordinator) Rick Dennison, working with them before – actually getting a chance to work with (Quarterbacks) Coach (David) Culley at the Pro Bowl, that was a quick week, but just being around those guys. Actually been up here for the two months I was here for my rehab and being in the facility every day for close to six hours and getting a chance to know the coaches and their vision for this team. Just thought moving forward, if we could work out something for both sides, it would be beneficial. This is the place to be. Like I’ve said from day one, my commitment is to this team, to this community, to do whatever it takes to get a winning tradition back and I’m still committed to doing that each and every day.

Q: Did you explore other options and was it a case where you didn’t see anything financially better?

A: There were a few teams out there but I mean I’m still under contract. It wasn’t like I was released or anything, so I mean I couldn’t do too much and I wasn’t looking to do that. My focus this past offseason was to get healthy first and foremost with having the surgery early in January. My sole focus was to get healthy and let my agent find a way to make things work here and we were able to get something done yesterday. I’m excited to be back.

Q: You expressed some concerns and worries about your future in Buffalo after being benched in Week 17. How did you reconcile what happened with that and where you are now?

A: At the time, did I know that I would be back? No. I didn’t know what the next step for me was but I’ve learned from that situation and I’ve put it behind me. It’s a new coaching staff in here. Like I said, there’s some coaches that I’ve worked with before. Got a chance to talk to Coach McDermott since his first day here and like I said, the vision that he has for this team and our conversations have been very good since day one. Like I said, I put what happened with the last week of last year’s season behind me. Was I happy about it? At the time, no. Will it still fuel me during workouts and moving forward? Yes, but ultimately I’m happy that I’m back here competing with the guys in this locker room.

Q: Sitting out of practice that week and seeing how that played out, did you ever envision being where you are today?

A: I didn’t sit out of practice. That was for injury reasons. But like I said, I didn’t know at the time. I don’t think anyone knew at the time. There was uncertainty as far as with what the head coaching situation would be this year coming up, there was a lot of uncertainty. I think a lot of questions were unanswered at the time and we had to see what the next step was going to be as far as coaching-wise. Like I said, once I met the coaches and seen what they were putting in, definitely a place that I wanted to be and like I said, I’m happy that I’m here.

Q: After signing that contract last August, did you play this year with the thought in your mind that you might not see this thing through? How did that factor into your thinking throughout the year?

A: I didn’t really focus on that. Once I signed the deal, my focus was on to do whatever it takes to help win games. Our season didn’t go as well as we would have liked it to last year. On the personal side as well, too, I could have been better. They chose to restructure – we chose to restructure – and I think moving forward as far as the team, to help bring in more pieces, it was the best thing for both sides to do.

It's constantly about how excited he is to be back in Buffalo and how much he just wanted to make things work. At no point does he say he wasn't going to get much on the open market. If you want to infer that's what he means, that's fine, but your just guessing.

I know in the world of modern sports where everyone just goes to the highest bidder it's virtually impossible to comprehend that some people would actually take less to help a team, but when you're talking about the amount of money Taylor is guaranteed, you're talking about a guy who is already set for life. If he's grounded (maybe he is, maybe he isn't), he understands that (maybe he does, maybe he doesn't).

If I take him at face value, it's because he really likes Buffalo (City, team, coaches, etc.) and views it as the best fit for him, both professionally and personally.

If I start making guess based off generalities about human tendencies, it's because there was some tampering going on behind the scenes with NFL GMs who were giving him and his agent a significantly lower-than-expected market value and so he tucked tail and ran back to Buffalo.

I know that you think the 2nd is the obvious truth, but forgive me if I remain skeptical and continue to call people out who choose to call that unquestionable reality.

Wow, what a convoluted excuse. Tyrod took less money because you want to believe that. Welcome to the CoT.

Plenty of good middlers here. Plenty of Tyrod apologists, plenty of Whaley haters, plenty of Brandon haters and Koolaid drinkers

Stick around and you will see whose who. All In all its very very solid.

pretty much every board or on a stool in the local tavern. we may all not have common ground on our views and outlook but at the end of the day, no matter the board or tavern, we're all die hard, dyed in the wool, red, white and blue...bills fans!

GO BILLS!!!

And who is responsible for throwing the football? CoT says Tyrod didn't throw slants because his offensive coordinators didn't call them.

I can see this CoT thing is gonna get real old real quick.

Let me ask this question since I'm new here, over at BBMB there were a bunch of posters who would just see a title or a topic and chime in with some randomly vague statement without ever even reading the post...

Is that you?

Wow, what a convoluted excuse. Tyrod took less money because you want to believe that. Welcome to the CoT.

... I guess I have my answer.

Please read it and tell me what's convoluted about a guy who likes where he lives, likes his working situation, and understands that he'll still be making plenty of money in that working situation but will also be helping to improve it... ?

Does this message board have an Ignore feature?

Edited by transplantbillsfan

I can see this CoT thing is gonna get real old real quick.

Let me ask this question since I'm new here, over at BBMB there were a bunch of posters who would just see a title or a topic and chime in with some randomly vague statement without ever even reading the post...

Is that you?

... I guess I have my answer.

Does this message board have an Ignore feature?

Sounds like you want to silence those who disagree with your point of view. That seldom works in the real world. Why don't you try using logic and thought to convince us? Got it in you?

Sounds like you want to silence those who disagree with your point of view. That seldom works in the real world. Why don't you try using logic and thought to convince us? Got it in you?

Oh, trolling now I see.

What's the point of using logic and thought (which I did) if you aren't even going to read it?

Take your own advice.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

So in year 6 he's gonna learn how to throw a pass before the route has ended as well as simple slants over the middle ?

201 yards per game ain't gonna work

Losing to every .500 team minus the one led by Brissett also won't pay the bills.

It would be nice to see him turn it around and pair those sweet feet without the critically flawed passing game that leaves him in the Osweiler/Simien/Keenum tier.

More of the same is what I expect, but I guess you never know.

Next year will be Year Seven, not Year Six. Just saying.

I think Donald Jones theory is correct. Tyrod has a lot of sideline and comeback throws because he's not very good at throwing to moving targets....outside of deep balls. Roman also didn't call these either. Seems like Tyrod isn't comfortable with them or he doesn't see them very well.

It was one of the things our QB Lee tried to work with him on during the offseason. Throwing slants late can lead to a disaster....you often times have to fit these in tight windows.

If Tyrod wants to take the next step, he needs to improve on anticipation. Greg Cosell watched film on him and said lacking anticipation becomes a bigger problem over time with a QB. He's not confident Tyrod can improve this but we'll see....let's hope he can.

I think Donald Jones theory is correct. Tyrod has a lot of sideline and comeback throws because he's not very good at throwing to moving targets....outside of deep balls. Roman also didn't call these either. Seems like Tyrod isn't comfortable with them or he doesn't see them very well.

It was one of the things our QB Lee tried to work with him on during the offseason. Throwing slants late can lead to a disaster....you often times have to fit these in tight windows.

If Tyrod wants to take the next step, he needs to improve on anticipation. Greg Cosell watched film on him and said lacking anticipation becomes a bigger problem over time with a QB. He's not confident Tyrod can improve this but we'll see....let's hope he can.

Yes, this seems to make the most sense. Offensive coordinators don't remove bread and butter plays like slants unless it's a problem for the QB they are calling plays for.

A: Just going back and meeting with Coach McDermott, the relationship I had with Coach Rico, (Offensive Coordinator) Rick Dennison, working with them before actually getting a chance to work with (Quarterbacks) Coach (David) Culley at the Pro Bowl, that was a quick week, but just being around those guys. Actually been up here for the two months I was here for my rehab and being in the facility every day for close to six hours and getting a chance to know the coaches and their vision for this team. Just thought moving forward, if we could work out something for both sides, it would be beneficial. This is the place to be. Like Ive said from day one, my commitment is to this team, to this community, to do whatever it takes to get a winning tradition back and Im still committed to doing that each and every day.

Q: Did you explore other options and was it a case where you didnt see anything financially better?

A: There were a few teams out there but I mean Im still under contract. It wasnt like I was released or anything, so I mean I couldnt do too much and I wasnt looking to do that. My focus this past offseason was to get healthy first and foremost with having the surgery early in January. My sole focus was to get healthy and let my agent find a way to make things work here and we were able to get something done yesterday. Im excited to be back.

A: At the time, did I know that I would be back? No. I didnt know what the next step for me was but Ive learned from that situation and Ive put it behind me. Its a new coaching staff in here. Like I said, theres some coaches that Ive worked with before. Got a chance to talk to Coach McDermott since his first day here and like I said, the vision that he has for this team and our conversations have been very good since day one. Like I said, I put what happened with the last week of last years season behind me. Was I happy about it? At the time, no. Will it still fuel me during workouts and moving forward? Yes, but ultimately Im happy that Im back here competing with the guys in this locker room.

A: I didnt sit out of practice. That was for injury reasons. But like I said, I didnt know at the time. I dont think anyone knew at the time. There was uncertainty as far as with what the head coaching situation would be this year coming up, there was a lot of uncertainty. I think a lot of questions were unanswered at the time and we had to see what the next step was going to be as far as coaching-wise. Like I said, once I met the coaches and seen what they were putting in, definitely a place that I wanted to be and like I said, Im happy that Im here.

A: I didnt really focus on that. Once I signed the deal, my focus was on to do whatever it takes to help win games. Our season didnt go as well as we would have liked it to last year. On the personal side as well, too, I could have been better. They chose to restructure we chose to restructure and I think moving forward as far as the team, to help bring in more pieces, it was the best thing for both sides to do.

It's not that he took less overall and guaranteed money, he also put himself back in a contract where the Bills can walk away from after a year or two....not strong job security.

Tyrod said him and his agent made the decision that the restructured contract was the best bet for him 2 days before they agreed to it. If he is being 100% honest, why couldn't that decision have been made almost immediately? He admitted they talked to other teams to get feelers. Why? Why did he explore when Buffalo is where he wanted to be the whole time?

Edited by Teeflebees