(OT) Old Classic College Hockey Video...

Spun

I've never seen this video.  Unbelievable!  I wonder if the player uses stickum(ala Lester Hayes) on the blade of his stick? :D

256942[/snapback]

It was actually in the Western Region Finals of the NCAA playoffs and Michigan was down a goal at the time (late in the 3rd period).

I interviewed Legg when he played for the Idaho Steelheads - he won the ESPY for that goal.

It was actually in the Western Region Finals of the NCAA playoffs and Michigan was down a goal at the time (late in the 3rd period).

I interviewed Legg when he played for the Idaho Steelheads - he won the ESPY for that goal.

256949[/snapback]

So nice, you said it twice.

The secret to your post total :D

CW

I've seen lots of youth players who can do that stuff, but I've never seen it in a game. I ref ice hockey, and a lot of these kids pick up the puck and hand it to me. I've never been able to do it myself, though!

That is an awesome clip. For some reason whenever I see it, it makes me think back to that cheap shot Dale Hunter took on Pierre Turgeon when he was with the Islanders that put him out for the remainder of the playoffs.

This takes some amazing skill...

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/besthockey.html

256813[/snapback]

That's actually not that hard of a trick to do. I could probably pull it off in no more than five tries in practice. But to get the time and patience to pull it off during a game, that's what I find most amazing about it.

I always spent warmups and beginning of practices lifting the puck onto my stick and keeping it in the air. I saw Derek Plante do it at a Sabres practice when I was in high school and I started then. He lifted the puck as shown in the video and threw the puck in the air with his stick and caught it on the way down with his stick. He would skate around the rink never dropping the puck. The best I can do is 2-3 times before I'd drop the puck.

I know this for sure, that kid probably took sooo much crap from his coaches for screwing around with the puck in practice! But that goal justified all those stops and starts he probably had to do for playing around.

I believe Sidney Crosby also did this in a junior game either last year or the year before.

Still (if I may change sports for a second here) nothing beats the "Air Gait" move that first Paul and then Gary did at Syracuse in the late '80s, prompting the NCAA to ban the move. (They started from the end line behind the goal, ran full-tilt toward it, launched themselves in the air at the crease circle, flew OVER the goal, stuffed the ball in the top corner of the net while passing the goalie, and landed outside the crease in front of the goal.) I wonder if a video of that shot is on the net anywhere.

I believe Sidney Crosby also did this in a junior game either last year or the year before.

Still (if I may change sports for a second here) nothing beats the "Air Gait" move that first Paul and then Gary did at Syracuse in the late '80s, prompting the NCAA to ban the move.  (They started from the end line behind the goal, ran full-tilt toward it, launched themselves in the air at the crease circle, flew OVER the goal, stuffed the ball in the top corner of the net while passing the goalie, and landed outside the crease in front of the goal.)  I wonder if a video of that shot is on the net anywhere.

256984[/snapback]

Link to video at top

http://www.laxpower.com/gallery/88/p88/airgait/airgait3.htm

About a year ago Sidney Crosby did something similar in one of his junior (QMJHL)games. It was available on the team site (Rimouski) for a short time. If I knew where to get a clip I would post it. Crosby should be fun to watch IF and when the NHL resumes.

About a year ago Sidney Crosby did something similar in one of his junior (QMJHL)games.  It was available on the team site (Rimouski) for a short time.  If I knew where to get a clip I would post it.  Crosby should be fun to watch IF and when the NHL resumes.

257001[/snapback]

RMPL. :D

I remember Wayne Gretzky scoring a goal like this in a NHL game from behind the net as well. I remeber clear as day wondering why more people don't do it. He basically slam dunked it in the upper corner of the net as he wrapped around. I remember jumping out of my chair when he did it.

I remember seeing a highlight of Phil Esposito standing behind the net, and basically flipping the puck over the back of the net so that it would hit the goaltender at the base of the neck, and roll down his back into the net. Amazing.

I remember Wayne Gretzky scoring a goal like this in a NHL game from behind the net as well. I remeber clear as day wondering why more people don't do it. He basically slam dunked it in the upper corner of the net as he wrapped around. I remember jumping out of my chair when he did it.

257020[/snapback]

I actually DON'T recall Gretzky ever doing this. I do remember, however, that he would occasionally bank a shot in off the goalie's skates while stationed behind the net.

In an Amerks game a couple of weeks ago, Thomas Vanek (stationed just behind the goal) banked a shot in off the skate of an onrushing Amerk. I couldn't tell whether he meant to do it or whether he was trying to get the puck cross-ice to the defenseman at the point.

As far as I know, he didn't try to take credit for it, though. Unlike LaSalle's Lionel (L-Train) Simmons, who in a 1987 game against Princeton, launched a shot from 35 feet away at the buzzer. The ball hit the rim, went 10 feet in the air, and dropped through the basket to give LaSalle a 63-62 win. I was at that game and remember Pete Carril afterward saying something like "I never saw anything like it. You had to wait ten seconds for the ball to come down just to see your team lose." In the paper the next day, L-Train was quoted as saying "I make that shot all the time in practice." Yeah right.