(OT) Old Classic College Hockey Video...

Spun

I actually DON'T recall Gretzky ever doing this.  I do remember, however, that he would occasionally bank a shot in off the goalie's skates while stationed behind the net.

In an Amerks game a couple of weeks ago, Thomas Vanek (stationed just behind the goal) banked a shot in off the skate of an onrushing Amerk.  I couldn't tell whether he meant to do it or whether he was trying to get the puck cross-ice to the defenseman at the point.

As far as I know, he didn't try to take credit for it, though.  Unlike LaSalle's Lionel (L-Train) Simmons, who in a 1987 game against Princeton, launched a shot from 35 feet away at the buzzer.  The ball hit the rim, went 10 feet in the air, and dropped through the basket to give LaSalle a 63-62 win.  I was at that game and remember Pete Carril afterward saying something like "I never saw anything like it.  You had to wait ten seconds for the ball to come down just to see your team lose."  In the paper the next day, L-Train was quoted as saying "I make that shot all the time in practice."  Yeah right.

257035[/snapback]

I watched a lot of Hockey night in Canada as a youth. I wish there was a way to look it up as proof, but it was one of those goals I'll never forget. Not a bank shot, a slam dunk in the upper corner of the net.

I watched a lot of Hockey night in Canada as a youth. I wish there was a way to look it up as proof, but it was one of those goals I'll never forget. Not a bank shot, a slam dunk in the upper corner of the net.

257050[/snapback]

I also remember that shot. :D

257050[/snapback]

I believe you! I'm just saying I don't recall it happening. :D