How will Our Roster Change?

ROONDOGG55

My bad.

Probably only going to have all 3 LB on the field about 30% of the time unless the run D is epically bad.

its hard to really guess what we will do because of the difference in his defense in Carolina. I'm betting he won't be foolish enough to make his entire d scheme specific to what he knows after watching Rex fail. Of course, we don't know if that will work either.

He hasn't had good cbs like we would have keeping Gilmore. He has had equal or lesser safeties. He hasn't had the DL we have, either. Jerry Hughes could have a monster year. But, he had ten times what we have in LB. We wouldn't had fielded a single starter the last 2-3 years at LB vs the Carolina unit. Our best LB, Bradham might have been SLB. Of course keuchly and Davis are among the very best in the league with Thompson good and aj Klein the backup mlb and slb above average.

its hard to really guess what we will do because of the difference in his defense in Carolina. I'm betting he won't be foolish enough to make his entire d scheme specific to what he knows after watching Rex fail. Of course, we don't know if that will work either.

He hasn't had good cbs like we would have keeping Gilmore. He has had equal or lesser safeties. He hasn't had the DL we have, either. Jerry Hughes could have a monster year. But, he had ten times what we have in LB. We wouldn't had fielded a single starter the last 2-3 years at LB vs the Carolina unit. Our best LB, Bradham might have been SLB. Of course keuchly and Davis are among the very best in the league with Thompson good and aj Klein the backup mlb and slb above average.

What's the role for Shaq Lawson? Does he lack the explosiveness and quickness to play DE or OLB? Will he be moved inside on third down passing downs? Is he mostly going to be a rotational lineman?

You brought up the point that Hughes should thrive in McDemott's system. Do you see any other players on defense being rejuvenated because of a more suitable defense?

What's the role for Shaq Lawson? Does he lack the explosiveness and quickness to play DE or OLB? Will he be moved inside on third down passing downs? Is he mostly going to be a rotational lineman?

You brought up the point that Hughes should thrive in McDemott's system. Do you see any other players on defense being rejuvenated because of a more suitable defense?

Lawson will be weak side de I believe. He is less a liability than Hughes on the edge. Hughes may only be situational for this d.

Lawson sets the edge by himself it looks like and generates a pass rush. I believe he will work in some at 4/5 tech DT with a wide 9 look by Hughes.

Lawson and Washington are similar in this d, also Washington can slide out. Twist. Stunt. Etc. This could mask our weak lbs

Lawson will have a solid year but may not be noticed by everyone. Hughes will be getting to passers and be blamed for missing on runners because he will be edge set,drive the lb back in the middle for Ragland. Shaq will get 4-5 sacks. Hughes 7-8. Lawson will get 50-60 tackles hughea 35-40. The interior DL will get 120-140. Dareus will lead us. He will be the attack dog. The lunch pin for us. Imagine he is a pin to a balloon. Where we can get him to break the ol we will use the others to cave in around him. It starts in the middle. Kyle will blow people up but not sure how he ultimately gets it done wrt others overahining him

I don't see Darby succeeding without Gilmore. But are Seymour or whomever looking and coming off better because of Darby. In typical tsw we will be ready to bench far by by week 5 if we Dont keep Gilmore. If we keep Gilmore he gets 4-6 picks. Darby ends up looking better but only because he gets tested.

Lawson will be weak side de I believe. He is less a liability than Hughes on the edge. Hughes may only be situational for this d.

Lawson sets the edge by himself it looks like and generates a pass rush. I believe he will work in some at 4/5 tech DT with a wide 9 look by Hughes.

Lawson and Washington are similar in this d, also Washington can slide out. Twist. Stunt. Etc. This could mask our weak lbs

Lawson will have a solid year but may not be noticed by everyone. Hughes will be getting to passers and be blamed for missing on runners because he will be edge set,drive the lb back in the middle for Ragland. Shaq will get 4-5 sacks. Hughes 7-8. Lawson will get 50-60 tackles hughea 35-40. The interior DL will get 120-140. Dareus will lead us. He will be the attack dog. The lunch pin for us. Imagine he is a pin to a balloon. Where we can get him to break the ol we will use the others to cave in around him. It starts in the middle. Kyle will blow people up but not sure how he ultimately gets it done wrt others overahining him

I don't see Darby succeeding without Gilmore. But are Seymour or whomever looking and coming off better because of Darby. In typical tsw we will be ready to bench far by by week 5 if we Dont keep Gilmore. If we keep Gilmore he gets 4-6 picks. Darby ends up looking better but only because he gets tested.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I think that the new HC is going to create an environment of discipline and accountability. The system should be simpler with less thought and more reaction. In my mind Dareus has the talent to be an anchor lineman. I'm confident that the new coach will bring out the best in him. If he responds to this environment it will cascade through the rest of the line and defense.

The bottom line is coaching matters!

Thanks for the detailed response.

I think that the new HC is going to create an environment of discipline and accountability. The system should be simpler with less thought and more reaction. In my mind Dareus has the talent to be an anchor lineman. I'm confident that the new coach will bring out the best in him. If he responds to this environment it will cascade through the rest of the line and defense.

The bottom line is coaching matters!

i did that on my mobile while doing cardio. do you have any more specific questions? i don't mind answering this stuff at all. it gives me an excuse to think more about this.

mcdermott has never had a defensive unit like ours. he has benefited from having keuchly and thomas davis. davis is the unsung hero of that team. if not for him keuchly would not be keuchly. and if not for keuchly than davis wouldn't be davis. they're mutually beneficial and perfectly complimentary.

this has me thinking linebacker will be a focus for us. i think our linebacker unit is far under average. and our dl - dareus playing at average - is very good. if dareus can buy in and this team can really focus we will have an pressure.

this may help.

daryl talley mixed and mostly shane conlan is mcdermotts ideal will linebacker and very much like thomas davis.

takeo spikes mostly with marvcus patton's drop back ability is sam limebacker

and paul polzluzny mixed with london fletcher as mike.

and by the looks of things we are asking chris spielman to play like london fletcher.

you can judge yourself on which players we have that play most like the players above, even if a fraction. i just came up with those in my head to help describe their ideal skillsets.

talley was a mobile olb who could get downfield or upfield for a sack or an interception. shane conlan was an underrated outside linebacker who stacked up well against tough tight ends back in the day.

takeo spikes didn't have to cover much in pass but he didn't let much get around or near him. patton could cover in man coverage realiably.

poz and fletcher in the middle - fletcher is a poor mans keuchly sans the tackling. poz is a poor mans fletcher sans the ability to read the qb. keuchly also gets away with a lot of questionable calls on contact with targets.

Personally I think Zach is almost the perfect weak side 'backer in McDermott's D. I think Ragland is a pretty solid strong side 1st and 2nd down option. I don't see a natural "mike" for McDermott's scheme on this roster. I don't know how they rectify that. Maybe they stick with Preston, maybe they try Preston SLB and Rags MLB.... I would not be surprised if our MLB is not yet on the roster.

Klein from Carolina

The positions I think we will have new starters in 2017:

Offense

- Right Tackle

- #2 receiver

- #3 / slot receiver

Defense

- MLB

- SLB (this is where I see Ragland)

- Strong safety

Special Teams

- Kicker

- Punter

- Returner

- Gunner

At this point I think they are going to stick with Tyrod, franchise Gilmore and bring back Zach Brown

I can't see us affording all 3. Maybe Zach and another yetbI let Zach walk as he disappeared as the season wore on. I also think our The depth needs to be added in part because draft has some hot prospects. Edited by The Jokeman

So, obviously we have a 17 year question mark at QB, but what about everything else?

I heard through these blogs that our new OC runs a lot of 3 WR sets and hardly uses a FB. I also heard that he also runs a form of West Coast offense that incorporates a lot of short passes. Not sure how much of this is true, but how do you all see our offense changing in terms of personnel?

As for the defensive side, obviously we will transition back to a 4-3, but will we see any changes to our front seven or secondary? Based off of what you all have shared and my general knowledge of McDermott and Frazier's' defense, they rely heavily on the front four to create pressure much like Schwartz's scheme. The only difference that I see is that our new scheme likes CBs with more length and range. So with that being said, will we see a lot of change on the defensive side as well?

Lastly, I am no expert on any of these guys and their schemes so feel free to educate and critique as much as you'd like.

I think the Bills will move on from TT unless he restructures his deal. We may very well see us cut him and re-sign him once he tables other offers. I personally would rather move on to C. Jones in a west coast type of offense. You don't need a big arm in an offense like this, but would be a major asset in the colder months. We all saw how Peyton's lack of arm strength affected their game plan in the later months.

I think we are solid with our RBs, but think we may move on from Felton and go without a true FB next year.

In my opinion WR is our biggest whole. Woody will be way to expensive for us to retain and I think our free agency experiment last year was a total failure. We need some younger talent that can make plays with the ball in their hands. Sammy is the only guy we have that has play making ability after the catch. So with that being said, I think we will go after at least 2 WR's in the draft. I hope we don't trade up again, but we can never put that past Doug. I do see us going after D'Anthony Thomas if he is available. He would fill a few holes for us in the slot and as a return man. I think it is very important to have a strong return game. Field position is critical if you have a ground and pound style of offense.

Although we have had little production from our TEs because of TTs ability to see over the middle, I see Clay and O'Leary playing a much bigger role in this system. We could also add a true blocking TE via FA or draft.

I did a little more digging on Andy Reid's defense when Jim Johnson was his DC. It seems that he had more of a thumping LB corps rather than McDermott's with the Panthers. Obviously his defensive back coaching background has rubbed down to the LB level with one of the most athletic groups in the NFL. Now the Bills don't necessarily have that, but I can see him plugging in Ragland at Mike since he is very similar to what Jeremiah Trotter was back in Philly's system. Preston will almost certainly be the Sam (Not saying it will be a success), and Z. Brown / A.J. Kline will be the Will depending on how Free Agency turns out.

I think the d-line is in fairly good shape, but we would need some more depth at DE. I could see us going after Charles Johnson if the price is right. We're set with our DT's unless we don't re-sign Corbin Bryant.

I do think Gilmore will get the tag if we let Tyrod walk. McDermott's defense relies heavily on good CB play and good positioning by safeties. Philly's defense ran through Brian Dawkins so I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills go after a ball hawk in the draft. Maybe that would compensate for the lack of athleticism at the LB position. But, that's just a thought, I could be totally wrong.

All together, I see us making a lot of changes, but don't see them as immediate improvements on the field.