Could Tyrod be trade bait for a reload?

SectionC3

I know there are a lot of threads about Tyrod floating around, but I'm not sure any of them address these points:

1. Media reports are that the Bills have not told Tyrod that he will be the quarterback next year. In most professions/businesses, when the new boss comes in and doesn't tell you that you're the guy moving forward for the first few months that he/she is there, it generally isn't a good sign for your continued employment at that operation. That suggests (at least to me) that Tyrod is not the Bills' first choice under center next year.

2. The fact that Tyrod hasn't been told he is the guy next year doesn't necessarily mean that he is gone. It may be that Tyrod is an option, but not the preferred option. While he hasn't been told that he will be here, he also hasn't been told that he is gone.

3. Maybe this makes Tyrod trade bait. The are rumors (message board rumors, as far as I can tell, but rumors nonetheless) that Whaley wants to trade up in the draft for a quarterback. I'm not convinced that Cleveland is interested in Tyrod. (For what it's worth, I know somebody who talked to David Lee before Lee left the team who said that Lee essentially told him that Lee did the best he could with what he had, which isn't a ringing endorsement of Tyrod.) But, for the sake of argument, assume that the 49ers and/or the Bears are interested in Tyrod. Would pick 10 + Tyrod get the Bills to pick 2 or pick 3? If the rumors are true, Whaley apparently likes one or more of the QBs at the top of the draft. Perhaps if the Bills aren't going to bring Tyrod back, and if one of the aforementioned teams loves Tyrod and isn't keen on Watson/Trubisky/etc., then the idea of using pick 2/3/etc. to get Tyrod's reasonable contract and a good player at pick 10 makes sense. It's not unfathomable.

4. Trading Tyrod might make for the quickest rebuild. If Whaley doesn't believe that Tyrod's abilities justify the difference in salary between Tyrod and Cardale/affordable veteran placeholder/rookie taken at the top of the draft/some combination thereof, then perhaps it makes sense to move on from Tyrod and spend his money elsewhere. By way of example, moving on from Tyrod might free up money for Gilmore/Zach Brown, and with a few other cap moves (Carpenter, Corey Graham, and perhaps Eric Wood and/or Aaron Williams) the Bills could take care of additional, significant needs in free agency (RT, WR, healthy and decent safeties).

5. If Tyrod isn't used to trade up in the draft, perhaps he could be used to pick up another asset. A second round pick is not an unreasonable ask for him, and maybe a team like Denver thinks the same thing. (The fact that Tyrod apparently is unwilling to reduce the monies owed him by the Bills suggests that at least one team in the league would pay him a salary comparable to of his current contract, which in turn suggests that Tyrod has value.) That pick obviously would help the reload.

6. Or that pick could be flipped for another asset. I'm thinking Tony Romo. The same logic could apply to Gilmore - perhaps it's better to franchise and flip him (think Peerless Price) and spend whatever pick he returns (hopefully a 2) on something else we want. Like the best "bridge" quarterback imaginable while we search for a younger solution at that position. This idea fits with the unsubstantiated reports that the Bills have significant interest in Romo.

7. On the Romo front, from my perspective the price shouldn't be terribly high. A good analogy would be the trade of Brett Favre to the Jets - I believe that Green Bay netted a conditional pick that turned into a third round pick. Could we essentially flip Taylor for Romo? Or could we use Gilmore to acquire a pick used for Romo? Either possibility is reasonable.

8. There is one important thing that I have not seen discussed anywhere with respect to the Romo issue. Terry/Kim are close with Jerry Jones. Terry and Jerry both come from energy backgrounds, and they broke bread at the owners meeting at which the Rams were granted permission to move to Los Angeles. Jerry has also spoken highly of Kim, and my distant sense of Jerry is that he realizes that the huge price Terry and Kim paid for the Bills was a boon to franchise values across the league. That, in turn, might make Jerry inclined to help his new friends and business partners on the quarterback front.

9. What's more, Jerry is keen on the idea of new stadiums (and therefore new, shared revenue) across the league. Perhaps Romo brings success to the Bills, and perhaps success for the Bills helps with new stadium efforts. (Based on the news of the last few days, those efforts seem to be percolating a little bit. Howard Zemsky's denial today in the Buffalo News -- interestingly, one day after it was revealed that the County Clerk's office erred in releasing the price of the Pegulas' recent real property purchase downtown near one of the proposed stadium sites -- tells me all I need to know on that front.) Keeping Romo out of the NFC and away from both Denver and Houston also is not an altogether bad thing from Jerry's perspective. I appreciate that Romo might be reluctant to come to Buffalo, but in the end it might not be his choice. Or it may be that the Pegulas help convince Romo in the same manner they convinced LeSean McCoy to wear Bills blue.

Finally, I'm not saying that I have a preference for any of the aforementioned ideas, or that I think that any of them will come to fruition. Personally, I probably would stick with Tyrod for the next two years. But there are some "signs" to read out there now, and I think it's fair to say that something is brewing behind the scenes at OBD.

Edited by BuffaloPowerEye

I know there are a lot of threads about Tyrod floating around, but I'm not sure any of them address these points:

1. Media reports are that the Bills have not told Tyrod that he will be the quarterback next year. In most professions/businesses, when the new boss comes in and doesn't tell you that you're the guy moving forward for the first few months that he/she is there, it generally isn't a good sign for your continued employment at that operation. That suggests (at least to me) that Tyrod is not the Bills' first choice under center next year.

2. The fact that Tyrod hasn't been told he is the guy next year doesn't necessarily mean that he is gone. It may be that Tyrod is an option, but not the preferred option. While he hasn't been told that he will be here, he also hasn't been told that he is gone.

3. Maybe this makes Tyrod trade bait. The are rumors (message board rumors, as far as I can tell, but rumors nonetheless) that Whaley wants to trade up in the draft for a quarterback. I'm not convinced that Cleveland is interested in Tyrod. (For what it's worth, I know somebody who talked to David Lee before Lee left the team who said that Lee essentially told him that Lee did the best he could with what he had, which isn't a ringing endorsement of Tyrod.) But, for the sake of argument, assume that the 49ers and/or the Bears are interested in Tyrod. Would pick 10 + Tyrod get the Bills to pick 2 or pick 3? If the rumors are true, Whaley apparently likes one or more of the QBs at the top of the draft. Perhaps if the Bills aren't going to bring Tyrod back, and if one of the aforementioned teams loves Tyrod and isn't keen on Watson/Trubisky/etc., then the idea of using pick 2/3/etc. to get Tyrod's reasonable contract and a good player at pick 10 makes sense. It's not unfathomable.

4. Trading Tyrod might make for the quickest rebuild. If Whaley doesn't believe that Tyrod's abilities justify the difference in salary between Tyrod and Cardale/affordable veteran placeholder/rookie taken at the top of the draft/some combination thereof, then perhaps it makes sense to move on from Tyrod and spend his money elsewhere. By way of example, moving on from Tyrod might free up money for Gilmore/Zach Brown, and with a few other cap moves (Carpenter, Corey Graham, and perhaps Eric Wood and/or Aaron Williams) the Bills could take care of additional, significant needs in free agency (RT, WR, healthy and decent safeties).

5. If Tyrod isn't used to trade up in the draft, perhaps he could be used to pick up another asset. A second round pick is not an unreasonable ask for him, and maybe a team like Denver thinks the same thing. (The fact that Tyrod apparently is unwilling to reduce the monies owed him by the Bills suggests that at least one team in the league would pay him a salary comparable to of his current contract, which in turn suggests that Tyrod has value.) That pick obviously would help the reload.

6. Or that pick could be flipped for another asset. I'm thinking Tony Romo. The same logic could apply to Gilmore - perhaps it's better to franchise and flip him (think Peerless Price) and spend whatever pick he returns (hopefully a 2) on something else we want. Like the best "bridge" quarterback imaginable while we search for a younger solution at that position. This idea fits with the unsubstantiated reports that the Bills have significant interest in Romo.

7. On the Romo front, from my perspective the price shouldn't be terribly high. A good analogy would be the trade of Brett Favre to the Jets - I believe that Green Bay netted a conditional pick that turned into a third round pick. Could we essentially flip Taylor for Romo? Or could we use Gilmore to acquire a pick used for Romo? Either possibility is reasonable.

8. There is one important thing that I have not seen discussed anywhere with respect to the Romo issue. Terry/Kim are close with Jerry Jones. Terry and Jerry both come from energy backgrounds, and they broke bread at the owners meeting at which the Rams were granted permission to move to Los Angeles. Jerry has also spoken highly of Kim, and my distant sense of Jerry is that he realizes that the huge price Terry and Kim paid for the Bills was a boon to franchise values across the league. That, in turn, might make Jerry inclined to help his new friends and business partners on the quarterback front.

9. What's more, Jerry is keen on the idea of new stadiums (and therefore new, shared revenue) across the league. Perhaps Romo brings success to the Bills, and perhaps success for the Bills helps with new stadium efforts. (Based on the news of the last few days, those efforts seem to be percolating a little bit. Howard Zemsky's denial today in the Buffalo News -- interestingly, one day after it was revealed that the County Clerk's office erred in releasing the price of the Pegulas' recent real property purchase downtown near one of the proposed stadium sites -- tells me all I need to know on that front.) Keeping Romo out of the NFC and away from both Denver and Houston also is not an altogether bad thing from Jerry's perspective. I appreciate that Romo might be reluctant to come to Buffalo, but in the end it might not be his choice. Or it may be that the Pegulas help convince Romo in the same manner they convinced LeSean McCoy to wear Bills blue.

Finally, I'm not saying that I have a preference for any of the aforementioned ideas, or that I think that any of them will come to fruition. Personally, I probably would stick with Tyrod for the next two years. But there are some "signs" to read out there now, and I think it's fair to say that something is brewing behind the scenes at OBD.

I essentially said the same thing in another thread. I was told that we would be taking a significant cap hit.

I essentially said the same thing in another thread. I was told that we would be taking a significant cap hit.

Correct. Option bonus of $15.5M would add to his dead cap of $2.85M ($18.35M total) if he was traded after the bonus was paid, but prior to season. It'd be pretty ridiculous to pay him an extra $15.5M just to trade him. Not gonna happen.

Correct. Option bonus of $15.5M would add to his dead cap of $2.85M ($18.35M total) if he was traded after the bonus was paid, but prior to season. It'd be pretty ridiculous to pay him an extra $15.5M just to trade him. Not gonna happen.

Option bonus isn't payable until third or fourth day if the league year. So he can be traded without the cap ramifications. Could happen.

Obviously would have to be traded before bonus paid.

Option bonus isn't payable until third or fourth day if the league year. So he can be traded without the cap ramifications. Could happen. Obviously would have to be traded before bonus paid.

I was specifically addressing the OPs scenario of TT being traded during the draft. And I also noted that no team is interested in TT with his current contract.

Well thats a new one, Jerah is going to trade Romo to Buffalo because he likes Kim and Terry and it will get a new stadium built.

Nobody said that. All that was said is that it's plausible. And there was a lot more to the point, too -- it makes sense for Jerry to want Romo to come here as opposed to other places, and the added benefit is that he gets to help owners he likes.

And as far as the "newness" of the post goes - the Zemsky article is in today's Buffalo News. I cannot believe that it is coincidence that Zemsky spoke to the News the day after the Pegulas got upset about the disclosure of the Clerk's Office. Why, you ask? Because the disclosure of that purchase - which they obviously tried to hide - could drive up land values at one of the potential sites for a downtown stadium, and Zemsky spoke to the News to try to nip that in the bud.

Finally, not that I work on such things, but it seems to me that if I was asking the public to finance at least 1/3 of what could be a $1 billion stadium, I might want to improve public opinion of the project - maybe by winning for the first time in ages. And, if I'm working toward a new stadium, I want that ball rolling ASAP while Governor Cuomo is still in office. Anything can happen in 2018, and maybe that "anything" doesn't want to send more money to Buffalo - especially for a football stadium.

I was specifically addressing the OPs scenario of TT being traded during the draft. And I also noted that no team is interested in TT with his current contract.

Nowhere in the original post did it say that Tyrod would be traded during the draft. And if no team is interested in TT with his current contract, why is TT's camp unwilling to take a restructure? I'll chip in an answer - because tampering happens all the time, and TT's camp knows he will get paid if he gets freed. Why else post videos of his physical activity after trying to set up a grievance through his surgery?

Nowhere in the original post did it say that Tyrod would be traded during the draft. And if no team is interested in TT with his current contract, why is TT's camp unwilling to take a restructure? I'll chip in an answer - because tampering happens all the time, and TT's camp knows he will get paid if he gets freed. Why else post videos of his physical activity after trying to set up a grievance through his surgery?

The original post, number 3 specifically discusses a draft day trade of Taylor. That's why I responded to that in number 3 of my post.

Taylor isn't interested in renegotiating with the Bills because he'd rather be able to negotiate with all 32 teams instead of just 1 if the Bills don't pick up his option. Besides, there's always the chance that they'll pick it up anyway.

The original post, number 3 specifically discusses a draft day trade of Taylor. That's why I responded to that in number 3 of my post.

Taylor isn't interested in renegotiating with the Bills because he'd rather be able to negotiate with all 32 teams instead of just 1 if the Bills don't pick up his option. Besides, there's always the chance that they'll pick it up anyway.

There is no such discussion. You assumed that. A draft pick can be traded in advance of draft day. Think rams/titans for goff.

The point of this discussion is to get people to think both outside the "box" and of the bigger picture. The stadium issue is starting to "smoke" a bit, and it would be a lot easier to get public support for the stadium if the lead in isn't another lousy rookie quarterback and a playoff drought that outlives the average canine. I can't believe the bills are sold on Tyrod, and I hope they don't waste the asset (by simply cutting him) if they aren't. I'd like to think the front office thinks broadly. We all should too.

They should just pin this information to the top of the forum so people can stop asking about it.

March 9-11 cant come soon enough. Having to endure the same topic is mentally taxing.

Yep