NFL's top ten worst offseason moves

1billsfan

I can understand what you are saying.  Those are old rivalries.  I just think that in the long run a division with Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Cincy would result in new and even bigger rivalries and would allow us to compete with teams in generally the same type environment as Buffalo.

With the Jets, the Patsies and the Dolphins, we are competing against big market teams that seem to draw the top coaches to them (Parcells, Johnson).  The AFC East is, and will probably stay one of the top divisions in football. 

I love tradition-- want the old uniforms back -- hey, I could live with the Standing Buffalo helmet, but I think 3 years after we were in the AFC North, we would forget about the old rivalries.

256147[/snapback]

As a "new" fan (fan since I was about 7 - back in '88), I tend to agree with you. I can see why the old timers prefer the AFC East...(I'm grateful that I wasn't around for the 70's)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Atl getting pilfered again in the early 90's for Brett Favre...GB sent a 1st rounder to Atl for favre, which atl turned into RB tony smith and CB frankie smith (after trading down)...

actually the trade was much mroe complicated than that...funny thing is that the jets wanted favre, and when he got taken, they settled for Browning Nagle... :doh:

heres the site that explains the trade...

http://www.favremadness.com/thetrade.html

5.  Releasing Ron McDole because he was too old.

255954[/snapback]

I was thinking about this the other day when someone mentioned George Allen. Watching McDole play for the Redskins aways confirmed to me that the Bills had one of the best lines in PRO football in the mid-60's. It always irritated the hell out of me that they didn't get to play in the first SB. I think they would have done a lot better than KC.

What did the Falcons give up to get Jeff George?

255822[/snapback]

The Colts acquired a 1st and 3rd Round pick from Atlanta in the 1994 draft which they shipped St Louis for the Rams' 1st Round pick in 1994 which they used to take Trev Alberts. The Colts also received Atlanta's 1st Round pick in the 1996 draft in the George trade, which they eventually used to pick WR Marvin Harrison.

Ironically enough, the Falcons originally held the 1st overall pick in 1990 (where George was selected) but they traded it to the Colts in exchange for Chris Hinton, Andre Rison and draft picks.

Wait, just so I'm clear: a 1994 first rounder, a 1994 third rounder, and a 1996 1st rounder?  Holy crap.  Jeff George for Marvin Harrison and a 1st round pick.

256239[/snapback]

Yep, you have it right of course you can also claim that because of the trade of George (and then the trade to acquire Alberts) the Colts were able to use their original choice in 1994 to select Marshall Faulk. This was also the draft in which Bill Tobin proclaimed "Who the Hell is Mel Kiper?" because of Kiper's ripping the Colts for using the pick on Trev Alberts instead of Trent Dilfer.

I was thinking about this the other day when someone mentioned George Allen.  Watching McDole play for the Redskins aways confirmed to me that the Bills had one of the best lines in PRO football in the mid-60's.  It always irritated the hell out of me that they didn't get to play in the first SB.  I think they would have done a lot better than KC.

256190[/snapback]

Ah greybeard. Day, Dunaway, Sestak and McDole. Best front 4 we ever had. I KNOW that Bills team would have matched up better against Green Bay than Kansas City, but I still think we probably would have lost against a classic Packers team.

The game I want is the year before in 1965 against the Cleveland Browns. We only let up one or two rushing TD's all year. You had to pass to beat us. The Browns were Jimmy Brown. He was the best of all time. What a match up that would have been. But the Browns were not as good as the Packers on defense. We could have scored on them. I see a Butch Byrd interception in the 4th quarter to knock off the mighty NFL. It could have happened.

I have a few

The Bucs sign Alvin Harper to large deal.

The Falcons trade the 23rd pick in the draft for Peerless and give him boatloads of money.

The Redskins huge spending spree the year they signed Deion and Bruce Smith. You could choose a few more from this group, but this one sticks out to me :rolleyes: