BisonMan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Best:

1. Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes - Sheppard was a garbage LB and we got a good player in return. Thanks Irsay :thumbsup:

2. Shady for Kiko - Shady is the face of this franchise right now

3. Working FA - Whaley seems to find guys flying under the radar that get to Buffalo and make an impact (Brown, Lorax)

Worst:

1. The Dareus contract - If a guy has a history of drug problems you put an out in the contract for said drug problems. :doh:

2. EJ....Kinda - It was a tough spot to have to draft a QB, and I still put half of the blame on Nix, but EJ has been exactly what the pre-draft reports said he would be.

3. Not giving Russ Brandon the "Rock Bottom" while he was in the draft room with his arm in the air. I personally want to slap the :censored: out of the guy every time I see his face. He had the perfect opportunity and blew it.

Best

Agree with shady, would include not resigning spiller in that situation.

Hughes trade.

I can't really decide between some of his cheap contract pick ups, but if I had to, gillise.

Worst

Darius contract.

Really low hogan tender.

Baby gronk over Felton to start season.

The Hogan tender was a $$$ issue. We had to Glenn tagged at the time of RFA tenders, so we were right up at the cap. We non-tendered Rambo and Charles for the same reason.

The difference was about 1 million i think from 2nd round tender to no comp. tender, and we had no ability to match his offer sheet with NE.

Edited by dneveu

Best:

1. Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes - Sheppard was a garbage LB and we got a good player in return. Thanks Irsay :thumbsup:

2. Shady for Kiko - Shady is the face of this franchise right now

3. Working FA - Whaley seems to find guys flying under the radar that get to Buffalo and make an impact (Brown, Lorax)

Worst:

1. The Dareus contract - If a guy has a history of drug problems you put an out in the contract for said drug problems. :doh:

2. EJ....Kinda - It was a tough spot to have to draft a QB, and I still put half of the blame on Nix, but EJ has been exactly what the pre-draft reports said he would be.

3. Not giving Russ Brandon the "Rock Bottom" while he was in the draft room with his arm in the air. I personally want to slap the :censored: out of the guy every time I see his face. He had the perfect opportunity and blew it.

You better give half the credit of Hughes to Nix too.

For me all his best moves and worst moves of the past are behind him and all that matters is what is in front of him.

I do think he was forced into the disaster that was the first 3 rounds of the 2016 draft. All of this was to accommodate an unworkable defensive scheme. I hope Lawson can become serviceable but the other two were horrible picks forced by Rex. I can't totally blame Whaley but he did go along with it.

I think it is ridiculous to criticize him for "missing" on Prescott. The team that got him didn't even want him. They wanted Connor Cook and would have gone 4-12 if they got the man they wanted. How can you blame Whaley for missing on Prescott when no other team, not even the one that got him, really wanted him at that point in the draft?

Right. Almost every blue chip on our roster was and is here basically because of Nix. But solid take.

Extended Fitz. Drafted Spiller in the 1st - and oversaw the rest of that 2010 debacle. Drafted Maybin in the 1st. Drafted EJ in the 1st. Troup over Gronk. Dareus over Green. Oh, and trading up for graham over russell wilson.

There are some good things sprinkled in there (Gilmore, even if he likely walks. Wood and Byrd are pretty good in the 2nd. Glenns been good. Even Kiko). But i see a lot of wasted draft capital and money. We also re-signed like none of our free agents during these years.

Blue Chippers - Shady, Watkins, Kyle Williams, Dareus, Glenn - maybe Incognito, Gilmore, Hughes

So he brought in Dareus and Glenn. But I'm not really going to give him credit for hitting on the 3rd overall pick. That's supposed to be an impact player. Gilmore's been pretty good, and the Hughes trade was a steal.

For me all his best moves and worst moves of the past are behind him and all that matters is what is in front of him.

I do think he was forced into the disaster that was the first 3 rounds of the 2016 draft. All of this was to accommodate an unworkable defensive scheme. I hope Lawson can become serviceable but the other two were horrible picks forced by Rex. I can't totally blame Whaley but he did go along with it.

I think it is ridiculous to criticize him for "missing" on Prescott. The team that got him didn't even want him. They wanted Connor Cook and would have gone 4-12 if they got the man they wanted. How can you blame Whaley for missing on Prescott when no other team, not even the one that got him, really wanted him at that point in the draft?

How bout Ragland hit's the field before we call him horrible. Also - i though dolph looked good early until the season wore on him.

Extended Fitz. Drafted Spiller in the 1st - and oversaw the rest of that 2010 debacle. Drafted Maybin in the 1st. Drafted EJ in the 1st. Troup over Gronk. Dareus over Green. Oh, and trading up for graham over russell wilson.

There are some good things sprinkled in there (Gilmore, even if he likely walks. Wood and Byrd are pretty good in the 2nd. Glenns been good. Even Kiko). But i see a lot of wasted draft capital and money. We also re-signed like none of our free agents during these years.

Blue Chippers - Shady, Watkins, Kyle Williams, Dareus, Glenn - maybe Incognito, Gilmore, Hughes

So he brought in Dareus and Glenn. But I'm not really going to give him credit for hitting on the 3rd overall pick. That's supposed to be an impact player. Gilmore's been pretty good, and the Hughes trade was a steal.

So you are giving him credit. That's what i thought.

Extending Fitz was like extending TT. It didn't matter.

Glenn is a for sure Blue Chipper. Hughes was Nix and is a blue chipper. Mario Williams had like 40+ sacks in 3 years and was our best defensive player for a while. Aaron Williams. Searcy. Bradham. SJ13. All quality guys, not necessarily blue chips but solid starters at good value.

What FA's should Nix have re-signed? Who did we really miss?

Edited by FireChan

So you are giving him credit. That's what i thought.

Extending Fitz was like extending TT. It didn't matter.

Glenn is a for sure Blue Chipper. Hughes was Nix and is a blue chipper. Mario Williams had like 40+ sacks in 3 years and was our best defensive player for a while.

What FA's should Nix have re-signed? Who did we really miss?

Doesn't matter?! the reason we pass on wilson is because we have fitz!

He also brought in Chan Gailey - who was a joke when he was hired and a joke when he was fired. We never won more than 6 games during Nix's time here. And he oversaw the 2010 draft - we legit have 0 players from 2010 on the roster. People complain we don't have enough drafted players... thats why! That's 6 years ago... we extended 0 players from that draft.

Edited by dneveu

We passed on Prescott because we had TT. It didn't matter. It was at best, a wash between Dak and Wilson.

Not exactly... we drafted Cardale shortly thereafter in the same round. Perhaps our grade on Dak was higher than Cardale. We couldn't move up to even get Dak unless we traded 2017 picks.

As for Wilson - TJ graham. That's the guy we moved up to get. A guy most people had a lower than 3rd round grade on. And rightfully so, as he is out of the NFL. Great job nix! We traded up for a bad player that no one wanted.

Blame Whaley for ignoring QBs? Blame Nix too.

Edited by dneveu

Not exactly... we drafted Cardale shortly thereafter in the same round. Perhaps our grade on Dak was higher than Cardale. We couldn't move up to even get Dak unless we traded 2017 picks.

As for Wilson - TJ graham. That's the guy we moved up to get. A guy most people had a lower than 3rd round grade on. And rightfully so, as he is out of the NFL. Great job nix! We traded up for a bad player that no one wanted.

Blame Whaley for ignoring QBs? Blame Nix too.

Huh? We traded pick 117 to move up for Ragland and Dak was taken 135. It's the exact same thing.

I am blaming Nix. I'm just saying it was a wash.

Nix did lots of good. Folks are blind if you don't see that.

There has been a lot of grumbling about Doug Whaley in the past year on this board. I think his record is spotty but not the nightmare that many characterize. I think all GMs have their hits and misses so I thought it would be some offseason fun for us to each post our own top/bottom three moves by the Bills’ GM. For mine, I’m only including those things that I think have been lopsided enough to be at the top or bottom. I think the jury is still out on the Sammy Watkins move so I didn’t include it. Your opinions may differ.

3 Best Moves

• Kiko for Shady – straight up trade for one of the best backs in the NFL for an injured 2nd year LB. Kiko has yet to live up to the “legend” and Shady was a perfect pick for the Bills offensive scheme.
  • Zach Brown – Signs insurance policy for ILB that needs to be cashed in when Ragland goes down with a knee injury. Brown was a leading tackler in 2016 on a team that often refused to tackle anybody.
  • Re-sign Cordy Glenn – Previous regimes in Buffalo didn’t resign their own at market rates. This is a nice departure. Imagine the Bills the last bunch of years with Jason Peters at LT.

3 Worst Moves

• QB Non-Move – There isn’t a specific move for me here other than he hasn’t made a move that has really worked out to solve the most pressing need on this (or any) moribund franchise. Continuing to push EJ Manuel as a competent starter/backup and failing to see the value in several potential draft picks (Carr, Prescott).
  • TE Charles Clay – Clay has the potential to be a star player at the TE position. However, the limitations of the Bills’ offense and QB have relegated a high-priced free-agent “play maker” to a run blocker. Clay is a good player but is eating up cap money that could be used elsewhere. A new coach or QB might redeem this move.
  • WR Jerry Hughes – A star in Schwartz’s 4-3, he was resigned to big bucks to play in Rex’s 3-4. It’s pretty apparent he is ill-suited for this role and, again, we have a player who is eating up cap space and not making a significant impact. Perhaps a switch back to a 4-3 under new leadership will resurrect Hughes career but so far under his new contract he hasn’t been very effective and continues to take stupid penalties at critical times.

Your move(s)....

EdW

I think the worst moves would be

1 - trading up for Sammy - too much given up for a non-QB

2 - Drafting tons of guys with "character" concerns (drug offenses). Looks bad in the media when your team keeps having players suspended

3 - trading up too much in the draft in general. We don't draft prescott because we don't have a 4th round pick - because we used it to get Ragland.

Huh? We traded pick 117 to move up for Ragland and Dak was taken 135. It's the exact same thing.

I am blaming Nix. I'm just saying it was a wash.

Nix did lots of good. Folks are blind if you don't see that.

I'm saying we couldn't move the comp pick we had. Moving up to get Ragland was classic Whaley though. I NEEEED this guy so im going to overspend to get him. Even though i want a developmental QB too.

Worst moves assuming he had control

1) what the he!! is Brandon Spikes doing on this rooster.

2) What could he possibly be thinking with Percey Harvin

3) Druggie Dareus should have been canned 2 suspensions and 1 fat spell ago and sent a message to all players

The NFL needs to get it's head out of it's a** and stop with the marijuana testing. Do you see any other sport busting player for pot? NO! Seantrel Henderson has a Rx for an illness and he still gets busted. This league acts like a bunch of Republican Retards and it needs to change. Data shows marijuana is a very effective pain killer while the league prefers to dole out opiates like Halloween candy. Have to keep the drug industry happy.

How bout Ragland hit's the field before we call him horrible. Also - i though dolph looked good early until the season wore on him.

Washington got snickered at by his own college coach on the NFL channel draft broadcast when he was selected.

Ragland call himself a "throwback". He was picked to fit Rex's scheme which didn't work and isn't here. He was passed over by every team in the league. He simply doesn't fit with the speed of today's NFL game. You can blame Rex or Whaley or whoever for the pick but don't pretend it will work out. Lawson may work out ok as something like a 3rd round value, but he moved up our board because he was Rex's kid's frat buddy. Our draft was a complete waste unless Jones pans out.