Can we re-negotiate Tyrod's contract?

Last time I checked, a contract is an agreement which includes offer, acceptance, consideration and performance. Although some question Tyrod's performance, he played all year. Consideration was demonstrated between payment of salary and playing QB. I don't think they can change the terms of the contract now. Tyrod could sue for breach of contract I bet.

All contracts are voidable. The ball is in the Bills' court to do that or not. If they opt to decline to exercise their option, TT becomes a FA and he can then negotiate a new deal with the Bills or anyone else. That's one way to void the current contract. Another is to ask TT to renegotiate the current terms. But I don't know why he'd agree to that.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. They should offer him the vet minimum with escalators for performance. He'd be dumb not to take it, as he clearly he is a back up QB and no other team would want him at his already team friendly contract.

In a league that doesn't have nearly enough QB's, saying TT is a backup is a joke! He'll never be elite but not a guy who has to be glued to the bench.

All contracts are voidable. The ball is in the Bills' court to do that or not. If they opt to decline to exercise their option, TT becomes a FA and he can then negotiate a new deal with the Bills or anyone else. That's one way to void the current contract. Another is to ask TT to renegotiate the current terms. But I don't know why he'd agree to that.

Your first sentence is incorrect (not all contracts are voidable; in fact, very few are), but generally, your analysis is sound. I too am having a hard time understanding why Tyrod would renegotiate, unless he felt the situation in Buffalo was so attractive that it would not be worth it to pack his bags and go elsewhere. I suppose that could be the case if Tyrod was told he would be the Bills' presumptive starter in 2017, which might not be something another franchise would offer him.

Your first sentence is incorrect (not all contracts are voidable; in fact, very few are), but generally, your analysis is sound. I too am having a hard time understanding why Tyrod would renegotiate, unless he felt the situation in Buffalo was so attractive that it would not be worth it to pack his bags and go elsewhere. I suppose that could be the case if Tyrod was told he would be the Bills' presumptive starter in 2017, which might not be something another franchise would offer him.

Perhaps I should have been more clear. Voidable in the sense that one party has the right to enforce or rescind. All NFL player contracts are voidable in the sense that a player can opt not to perform any time he wishes.

NO....

you either exercise the team option or you don't.

if you choose NOT to , then TT becomes an UFA....at which time you can then make a new offer.

Exactly. His agent would be a fool to renegotiate. If we don't pick up the option, he will have him signed by someone else in a few days... probably for more money.

Tyrod still has upside, its not like he's Fitzpatrick or Cutler.

To me it not even a question whether we pick up the option. There's no viable replacement being discussed.

It's not a gamble for Taylor. Top 10 PFF grade in his first two seasons as starter for a perennial loser. Top 10 offense both years (first time in over a decade). Top 10 passer rating in 2015, 17th this season. 7th QBR in 2015, 11th in 2016.

Not every GM is as incompetent and dense as Doug Whaley.

Seriously, if this defense did it's job the Bills would be in the playoffs this year and probably last year as well but you have to understand that the fans base their views what the clowns that cover the Bills have to say, and unfortunately they have tunnel vision and can't understand there is more than 1 way to score points. To them it's a QB driven league where you have to throw for 300 yards a game or you suck.