Clarrett's bad day at the combine

PromoTheRobot

Clarrett runs the 40 at the Indy combine at 4.8. That puts him in the speed range of a defensive lineman! What's worse, Maurice decides to quit and go home after the bad showing. So not only is he slow as crap, he's a quitter to boot.

Still think TD is gonna draft him? Then again, a big name is irresistable to some people.

PTR

Clarrett runs the 40 at the Indy combine at 4.8.  That puts him in the speed range of a defensive lineman!  What's worse, Maurice decides to quit and go home after the bad showing.  So not only is he slow as crap, he's a quitter to boot.

Still think TD is gonna draft him?  Then again, a big name is irresistable to some people.

PTR

254214[/snapback]

There is no denying that Bills need to seriously address the backup RB situation. That goal hit a slight roadblock, as Bettis resigned with Pitt, as he would have been an ideal backup.

Bills need a RB, and the question is are they better off with an Antowain Smith or a mid round pick-up in the draft.

Clarett's time in the 40 should also be looked at his increased size, about 10 lbs over his playing weight at OSU. To me the 40 is the most over-rated statistic for a running back. The shuttle drills are far more important, as they test agility and speed.

Slow time in the 40 or not, if Clarett is still on the board in Round 4, I think the Bills should have a serious look.

^^^Apparently his times in the shuttle and cone drills were slow too. ESPN radio was talkin earlier about how he gave up on the combine immediately after his 2nd 40 run, they said many scouts were tellin him "come on dont quit you need this", he put his head down got the sad face and did exactly that, quit. You want that?

He would make a bad beer vendor.  He couldn't work at the concessionaire.  He is too slow on his feet to work as the parking attendant.

He left?  That is good stuff.

:D

254322[/snapback]

These forty times will probably drop him to the 6th or 7th round. Walmart might be an option for the kid afterall.

:D

There is no denying that Bills need to seriously address the backup RB situation.  That goal hit a slight roadblock, as Bettis resigned with Pitt, as he would have been an ideal backup.

Bills need a RB, and the question is are they better off with an Antowain Smith or a mid round pick-up in the draft.

Clarett's time in the 40 should also be looked at his increased size, about 10 lbs over his playing weight at OSU.  To me the 40 is the most over-rated statistic for a running back. The shuttle drills are far more important, as they test agility and speed. 

Slow time in the 40 or not, if Clarett is still on the board in Round 4, I think the Bills should have a serious look.

254241[/snapback]

GG, or anyone else, I agree the back-up spot is a priority. What would you think of Anthony "A-Train" Thomas, of the Bears? He is someone I wouldn't mind seeing in a Bills uniform. He has a lot of bumps and bruises over the year, but it seems like everytime he gets a chance to play, he makes an impression. He may not be Bettis powerful, but he is a good pounding back, and I think, would compliment to McGahee's very nicely...

ps- I guess it makes me a big wuss, but I actually kind of feel sorry for Clarrett. He is a "loser" in the real sense of the word. Somebody will draft him, just on name value if nothing else.

I guess I'm the only one that feels pity for the guy. Yeah yeah, I know his history. But still, a young guy is on top of the world in his freshman year of college and because of a few really bad decisions he's f'ed up any dreams he may have had...and these are the decisions of an 18-20 year old. Imagine making some stupid mistakes (like we all did) when you were 18 that messes up your entire future or compromises your lifelong dreams...I pity the guy somewhat, as much as I'm not a fan of his behavior.

That being said I hope the Bills don't even consider drafting the kid. Anybody that gets so down on himself that he ups and quits isn't the type of guy I want on my team.

GG, or anyone else, I agree the back-up spot is a priority.  What would you think of Anthony "A-Train" Thomas, of the Bears?  He is someone I wouldn't mind seeing in a Bills uniform.  He has a lot of bumps and bruises over the year, but it seems like everytime he gets a chance to play, he makes an impression.  He may not be Bettis powerful, but he is a good pounding back, and I think, would compliment to McGahee's very nicely...

ps- I guess it makes me a big wuss, but I actually kind of feel sorry for Clarrett. He is a "loser" in the real sense of the word.  Somebody will draft him, just on name value if nothing else.

254326[/snapback]

This is the best reply in this thread so far! Kudos to you sir. Here here!

I guess I'm the only one that feels pity for the guy.  Yeah yeah, I know his history.  But still, a young guy is on top of the world in his freshman year of college and because of a few really bad decisions he's f'ed up any dreams he may have had...and these are the decisions of an 18-20 year old.  Imagine making some stupid mistakes (like we all did) when you were 18 that messes up your entire future or compromises your lifelong dreams...I pity the guy somewhat, as much as I'm not a fan of his behavior.

That being said I hope the Bills don't even consider drafting the kid.  Anybody that gets so down on himself that he ups and quits isn't the type of guy I want on my team.

254342[/snapback]

Sorry I can't buy that. He was part of a national thing where he was made the scapegoat for college ball as a whole. He knew what he was doing. It's a shame more of the media didn't go after those Athletic Directors for their hypocrisies over the decades. The worst of it is that society doesn't really care about it either! LOL.