Throw us a bone obnoxious Sully

4merper4mer

That's a truly awesome find -- but I don't want to pay for the full text! It'll have to live in my memories.

I've still got the newspapers after big games from those years, I will take a look around, take some pics of that + also good news (lest I be labeled). :lol:

I love the fact that Sullivan is one of the few people that really rips into this pathetic turd of a franchise. It's been so long since they've been good, that I can't recall what he was like back then.

If this team were in NYC, Chicago or Boston, they would have a bunch of Sully's calling out their failure and ineptitude on a regular basis.

17 f'ing years, they deserve Sully.

^^^^^^^^ Yes^^^^^^^^ 17 effin years of trash. And yet koolaid seasn is but two weeks away.

There is a difference between honesty with tact and trashing a young struggling QB. Sully is outright sour in Bills wins and worse in defeat. He contributes in the negativity that surrounds players and the team as a whole; thus making players and coaches think twice about working hard in this town. By turning a fan base through negativity towards the players is hardly productive for anyone except Sully.

I dont read Sully or Buckys articles anymore; in fact at Canalfest when I was asked if i get the Buffalo News I told them flat out that Sully and Bucky were the reason I dont buy the paper anymore. When they come on the radio to spew their garbage I turn the station.

Sully thinks that the 90's Bills were a bad team playing in a really bad AFC.

Bucky called the Sabres a really bad team during the '06-'07 season when they won the Presidents cup.

Stop reading the stuff it's that simple folks

The reason people don't is that he's actually a pretty good writer.

And this is probably the millionth time this point is being made, but writing bad things about a bad team .... makes sense.

Of course, it will tend to make the more dedicated fans of that team, the ones unwilling to hear anything bad about that team, pretty angry. They'll say he's obnoxious.

Sully tends to say pretty good things about the Bills when they're doing well. But for a team that hasn't beaten a good opponent yet this year, it's been hard to find moments when I feel they're actually doing well. Anyone else been really thrilled by this team on anything like a consistent basis?

Good point. About the only satisfaction I get from the few Sully musings I read is knowing he actually uses proper sentence structure and grammar.

As for the content..... like someone on TSW recently said: negative articles get more clicks, and clicks pay the Bills.

There's plenty of clickbait journalism out there, plenty.

But newspapers are pretty much out of that business. Certainly the News is.

They earn their money from people taking internet subscriptions. That flow of income dwarfs click-based profits. The News gets paid when people pay to subscribe. Which they do when they think the articles are good. A few years back Graham wrote, when he still had a regular Bills blog on the News, that he'd totally stopped checking clicks the day after they switched to subscriptions. It simply doesn't matter anymore to the News or to most newspapers.

Now, sites like Bleacher Report do still depend on clicks. There are plenty of sites like that still out there, but the News isn't one of them.

And by the way, Sully's most recent positive article about the Bills was on Dec. 18th. Not all positive. He still criticizes team performance, specifically in the Steelers game, but this is filled with admiration of Kyle Williams.

"Bad Back and All, Kyle Williams Shows Up For His Team."

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/18/bad-back-kyle-shows-team/

Excerpts:

"Nearly an hour after Sunday's game, there was still a palpable emotion in Kyle Williams's voice. Not because of the Bills' win over the Browns. He was still upset about the loss to the Steelers the week before.

"'You're lucky to get 16 opportunities to play,' said Williams. 'How many chances do you get late in a season to play a good team when you're on the verge? To have some freak thing happen where you can't do it? Yeah, it hurts. It hurts my feelings. It just hurts me.'

"Williams, who missed 10 games a year ago with a bad knee, hadn't missed one this season until Pittsburgh. But a back injury took him off the field. He sat in the locker room, helpless as Le'Veon Bell shredded the defense for 236 rushing yards, knowing he could have made a difference.

"His back had been so painful before the Steelers game he'd had to go to the hospital. But no way was he missing the Cleveland game. It didn't matter that the Bills' playoff chances were smaller than a despot's heart, or if he had to lie on his back on a hard surface all weekend. His teammates needed him.'It took my teammates wanting me to play,' Williams said. 'That's all it ever takes. It's understood. They don't have to tell me, and I don't have to tell them that I want to be out there playing with them.'

"His play was statement enough. Despite the ailing back, Williams played with his typical skill and passions, clogging the middle against the run and causing havoc in the backfield."

... and ...

"Williams has played 149 games in a Bills uniform. It's doubtful he'll ever get to the postseason. But he doesn't ask for anyone's sympathy. He said he never wonders what might have been. The people he feels for are the fans.

"He was in visible discomfort as he spoke at his locker. You could tell he was in pain. Just speaking seemed a chore for him, perhaps because the pain in his back was returning. I asked how it felt.

"'It's awesome,' he joked. 'Thanks for asking.'

"Someone asked how it would feel after the adrenaline wore off and he said, 'I'll tell you tomorrow.'

"It's always about tomorrow with Kyle. Few NFL players have more reason to lament the past, but he soldiers on. You don't last this long in the NFL as a fifth-round pick without a gift for perseverance, for enduring hardship, hurt and disappointment.

"Someone asked him, after more than 16 years, how frustrating does it become? And when will the Bills finally get it right?

"'It's frustrating,' he said, 'because you put in a huge amount of work. You go out and put your body on the line. You play hard. You sacrifice a lot to be here and give it your all. When does it happen? I don't know.'

"'Here's what I know: When I wake up in the morning, whether it's in December or March, I work my (butt) off to win. If you start feeling sorry for yourself because you think you deserve something, the NFL and the world will tell you, "You know what? You really don't" '."

Edited by Thurman#1

What amazes me is that whoever is in charge at the Buffalo News allows this guy to keep writing the same column over and over again.

Someone should tell him to find a live horse to beat, because the one he's beating now has been dead for a couple of years.