Greevy's Sports Bar

Just saw the news article on Greevy's and it brought back memories of good times. I lived in Maryland from 1986-1996 that spanned the Super bowl years. In those days, the Redskins were king and on every weekend as there games had been sold out for 30 years running. I'm not sure how I found out about Greevy's. I think I was a subscriber to the old "Shout" newspaper so maybe that was it. I remember Kevin played in the NBA and was not sure why he opened a Bills bar until I read this article. I didn't live close by, but made my way for a Vikings game in 1994 or 1995. It was great to hear all the comradery of Bills fans. Great place, great memories.

Went there religiously from '91-'99. Got DTV in late '99 and have been back just occasionally. I live about five minutes away and have been there 2-3 times/year for dinner. In the halcyon days, it was a lot of fun and a madhouse; you needed to be there by 11:00am for a 1:00pm game, and I sometimes would see tailgaters in the plaza's parking lot. Some great games I remember watching there were the '91 OT game vs. the Raiders, the "No Punt" game vs. SF, and the '93 AFC championship game vs. Miami. Went there for the SF game earlier this year, and it wasn't the same...only about a quarter of the place were Bills fans, it seemed like there were more Steelers and Pats fans there than Bills fans.

Jimmy's in Herndon is a good, if not better, alternative, but the memories of Grevey's will live on.

Went there religiously from '91-'99. Got DTV in late '99 and have been back just occasionally. I live about five minutes away and have been there 2-3 times/year for dinner. In the halcyon days, it was a lot of fun and a madhouse; you needed to be there by 11:00am for a 1:00pm game, and I sometimes would see tailgaters in the plaza's parking lot. Some great games I remember watching there were the '91 OT game vs. the Raiders, the "No Punt" game vs. SF, and the '93 AFC championship game vs. Miami. Went there for the SF game earlier this year, and it wasn't the same...only about a quarter of the place were Bills fans, it seemed like there were more Steelers and Pats fans there than Bills fans.

Jimmy's in Herndon is a good, if not better, alternative, but the memories of Grevey's will live on.

No punt game was on regular TV, still remember watching it at my home in the District.

When i first moved to the District, was a Sunday ritual to call around about 10AM and see what bar was going to show the Bills game. Mr. Days was usually pretty good, the sports bar in the Grand Hyatt...or Balls all the way up in Baltimore!

Finally had a chance to read article.

Lots of regulars (although not as many as past since one of few times I went there Sunday I was able to find a seat) now will need to find some place else to go and I know many used to shop in that plaza after games so other businesses there will lose some business.

IMO the bar's condition was deteriorating with slashes in the bench covers, etc. but it still seemed like it was getting enough business. Shame when landlords decide to gentrify shopping centers which are not suited for it. That shopping center already lost it anchor because the supermarket was not big enough in today's model.