Welcome to the Derek Jeter Center in Boston!

KD in CA

It's for charity... who gives a flying !@#$ what it's called for 24 hours.

253344[/snapback]

Apparently the poor sports in Boston do. I think it's hysterical that a Yankee fan did that. To not honor his request would be bush league.

I think it's amusing that some lawyer would be so desperate to save face to his friends in Boston that he shells out $2375 for something like this.

Looks like it's not happening after all, and the big winner is the Dana Farber Cancer Insitute:

FleetCenter.com

BOSTON, MA (February 25, 2005) - Delaware North Companies is pleased to announce that it has negotiated an amicable settlement on the single-day FleetCenter naming rights for Tuesday, March 1 and will re-name the venue the 'JimmyFundCenter'... settling (for now) a more than 25-year rivalry  between two Harvard alums.

Kerry Konrad, a New York City lawyer, won the March 1st rights via an eBay auction, paying $2,325 for the single-day naming rights with the intention of teasing his Boston-based friends. After his initial requested name (the Derek Jeter Center) was rejected by FleetCenter executives, an agreement was struck.

Jerry Rappaport, Jr. of Needham, MA offered to trump his buddy's intial bid by donating an additional $6,275 to the charitable effort. The grand total of $8,600, in recognition of the 86-year-old broken curse, will go directly to the Jimmy Fund. It is expected that both friends will be together at the JimmyFundCenter on March 1st to present their donation to the charity.

"The Jimmy Fund is a charity that transcends the biggest rivalry in sports,                which is fitting as cancer affects everyone," said Mike Andrews, chairman of the Jimmy Fund and former Red Sox second baseman (1967). "Although it's the official Red Sox charity, George Steinbrenner has been a vocal supporter and through our annual WEEI radiothon has joined Joe Torre to contribute."

Others in the Boston and New York communities can also contribute to the Jimmy Fund's great work by logging on to www.JimmyFund.org.

Apparently the poor sports in Boston do.  I think it's hysterical that a Yankee fan did that.  To not honor his request would be bush league.

253349[/snapback]

As a Boston resident and diehard Sox fan, I completely agree with you. I thought it was awesome/brilliant.

It was in no way "vulgar", and if they had an ounce of creativity the Fleet management could have had a lot of fun with it and made a ton of money for charity. Instead they look ridiculous - people who manage a multi-million dollar playground shouldn't take themselves so seriously.

As a Boston resident and diehard Sox fan, I completely agree with you. I thought it was awesome/brilliant.

It was in no way "vulgar", and if they had an ounce of creativity the Fleet management could have had a lot of fun with it and made a ton of money for charity. Instead they look ridiculous - people who manage a multi-million dollar playground shouldn't take themselves so seriously.

254074[/snapback]

Agreed. Backing out of it and not allowing it was childish and makes them look petty. It would have been GREAT publicity if they stuck with the "winning bidder" for the one day name. I love how they make up some excuse by saying that the name is vulgar in Boston and won't be approved. What a load of sh--!

If the naming rights were up for Madison Square Garden, and a Red $ox fan bought the rights for 1 day and wanted to call it Curt Schilling Garden and New York tried to block it, E$PN would have sent a task force to NYC to protest and perhaps had a court session on ESPN to debate it....but if Boston blocks the naming for Derek Jeter, well, thats ok of course.

You mean that town that currently has the Baseball and football champs?!! And that could very well have the college basketball ones in a few weeks? Don't worry it'd not waste the dream year of the Boston sport fans

255207[/snapback]

Putting frosting on a piece of crap doesn't make it cake.

Apparently the poor sports in Boston do.

You mean that town that currently has the Baseball and football champs?!! And that could very well have the college basketball ones in a few weeks? Don't worry it'd not waste the dream year of the Boston sport fans

255207[/snapback]

Boston College? LMAO! :blink::blink: