Generator recommendations

dpberr

Thoughts on portable generators? The house has a transfer switch installed. Judging on what's in the box, I'm looking for at least 6500 kW output.

I have a 100 gallon propane tank on the property. However, I'm not committed to a propane generator because of that.

Thoughts on brands or fuel types based on experience?

Edited by dpberr

I bought a B&S 5500 watt gas generator about five years ago and it has seen us through multiple power outages -- including a six day outage after hurricane Sandy. About the only thing we didn't use was the washer/drier but it handled everything else (including heat and well pump).

I needed to refill it slightly more than once a day.

This is a good question. I have considered it for my home but the farm house is across the street with a whole house generator and gas utilities (water, furnace). For whatever reason my dad didn't hook up the stove or get a gas stove.

Regardless, I still want a portable one for my house (1100) with electric utilities and just don't think its worth it. Even when its nasty out I'm never inside and I can sleep in the cold no problem. Power was out last yr and it was 45° in my house and I slept perfectly fine.

Still, itd be nice so I'd be curious what others would say.

Whatever you do make sure it has a voltage stabilizer built in, otherwise you may fry your fridge and electronics with the voltage fluctuations in most portable generators. The inverter types are much better, but are pricey.

Whoops, I meant portable. I changed my question.

That makes more sense. I bought a Generac 7500 W portable generator that runs on gas. I really wanted a tri-fuel generator that can also run on propane and natural gas, but I was in desperate need of a generator because of an impending storm (but as luck would have it I never lost power) and they didn't have any at the Lowe's near me . Since you have a propane tank, I would go with a propane generator at least, or a tri-fuel generator. Powerland makes tri-fuel generators.

And one cool thing is that I didn't have to get a sub panel installed. The electrician put a switch on my main circuit box that allows the house to be powered by the generator when the main power switch is turned off, so I have the whole circuit box available to me.

That makes more sense. I bought a Generac 7500 W portable generator that runs on gas. I really wanted a tri-fuel generator that can also run on propane and natural gas, but I was in desperate need of a generator because of an impending storm (but as luck would have it I never lost power) and they didn't have any at the Lowe's near me . Since you have a propane tank, I would go with a propane generator at least, or a tri-fuel generator. Powerland makes tri-fuel generators.

And one cool thing is that I didn't have to get a sub panel installed. The electrician put a switch on my main circuit box that allows the house to be powered by the generator when the main power switch is turned off, so I have the whole circuit box available to me.

Careful with that Doc. If the Electricity company is working on the lines, and you haven't cut yourself off the grid, you're going to get a rather pizzed off crew calling on you. It sounds like you've got it right, but just make sure the main breaker is pulled before you power up.

Careful with that Doc. If the Electricity company is working on the lines, and you haven't cut yourself off the grid, you're going to get a rather pizzed off crew calling on you. It sounds like you've got it right, but just make sure the main breaker is pulled before you power up.

Not to worry. It's an interlock and an electrician installed it. The main power switch has to be in the off position before you can flip the generator switch on. No chance of frying electrical crews.

I had the electrician do mine the same way. Of course you gotta shut off all your circuits before firing up the generator and turn them back on one at a time but the whole process takes less than five minutes and you've got your whole house up and running.

Edited by KD in CA