JETS GAME DEPTH OF ROUTES LOOK/ ALL 22

Bocephuz

Here are my observations from watching the first half of the Jets game..focusing in particular on passing plays and the depth of routes.

I am also just focusing on the first half as ..1. that's all I have time for.. and 2... 1st half reveals more of Roman's mindset in doing game prep for this one. .3. q4 was mostly garbage time prevent D.I don't have time to look at the 2nd half.. but based on the results I would venture to say not many adjustments were made.

SHOTGUN VS UNDER CENTER

• By my count.. TT only lined up under center on a designed pass play one time. The rest of pass play formations were all shotgun or pistol formations.
  • This could be one valid criticism for Roman ... .too much shotgun.. too much predictability. I would have liked to seen more of TT under center to keep the D guessing more.. and also to help with his footwork and timing
  • Shotgun does tend to make throwing the short timing routes like slants and hitches more difficult. When you are under center you can time your throw by letting it go when you hit the end of your 3, 5 or 7 step drop. Being in shotgun allows you to see the field better.. but the tradeoff is it makes synchronizing your footwork with the routes a little more difficult

ROMAN AND THE DEEP BALL

• There were 20 qualifying pass plays (I am not counting designed screen plays in this mix)
  • Roman was calling aggressive deep route combinations 50% of the time in the 1st half ... ie.. receivers running routes of 10+ yards
    • Out of those 20 plays... 10 plays had intermediate or short routes built in (10 yds or fewer. is my definition ... I am also not counting RB in the flat as an intermediate route)
    • These were not just 3rd and long plays... for example on a 2nd and 10 he sent everyone deep
  • CONCLUSION - While Roman was definitely aggressively trying to stretch the field...( calling deep plays 50% of the time seems fairly aggressive to me) .. ..there were several plays where short timing throws were called for. There were varying levels of success/ failure with those plays. At the end of the day .. Roman called some short passing plays where guys were open and more often than not those guys didn't get the ball.

DEEP BALL FAILURE DUE TO COVERAGE/PRESSURE EXAMPLE

• Q2 - 10:33 - 2nd and 10
  • TT actually lines up under center and takes a 5 step drop
  • Max protect.. all 3 receivers on left side run deep routes
  • TT hits his drop.. no one is open... safety is on that side deep
  • 96 brings pressure up the middle to collapse pocket
  • TT makes good decision to scramble

WqLuVQ2.gif

SUCCESSFUL SHORT TIMING THROW EXAMPLE

Q2: 2:00 - 3RD AND 2

• TT in pistol. one step drop
  • Max protect.. both FB and HB stay in to chip on DE..
  • TT hits Sammy on perfectly thrown slant for 1st down.. note the LB chips Sammy right before the catch.. and there are 3 guys in vicinity.. yet.. a clean throw and catch are able to be made
  • These are the types of plays I would have liked to have seen Roman call more of..

D6hLiP1.gif

SHORT THROW FAIL EXAMPLE

• Q2 - 1:23 - 2ND AND 2
  • Shotgun formation...
  • Clay is clearly open in the middle of the field.. but TT locked onto his first read Goodwin at bottom of screen
  • TT decides to go with Goodwin.. but his footwork on his drop is sloppy ...throwing his timing off and resulting in a poorly thrown pass

ydRXhFc.gif

SUMMARY: It was clear to me that there were times guys were open on intermediate routes that Roman designed.. and for a variety of reasons TT missed them or didn't see them. However... I only saw 3 plays (out of 20) that clearly called for timing passes ( 2 plays had all comebacks... and then the one slant to Sammy called play).. and this is why I think Roman is gone. For some reason he just didn't call that many simple short timing routes that would have moved the chains.

Edited by Bocephuz

There were a lot of issues. If you leave the defensive problem aside or believe that the time of possession early on being so heavily slanted towards the Jets impacted them then the offense had several woes related to a scheme that should have been designed to negate one of the most dominant defensive lines in the league and an aggressive coverage that the refs seemed to only have a problem with the Bills doing. My only explanation is that timing throws don't seem to be one of Tyrod's strengths. I don't necessarily see how longer developing plays were a good alternative, but they ended up with 31 points on the board so I don't know.

The last one where Clay was wide open, I'm guessing TT went with the out because they were running the 2 minute offense (such as it is). Considering how long the offense takes to set up and run a play, I wouldn't want them going down the middle in that situation.

On the first play, the design should've had the slant curve in to the opposite 40 yard marker. Easier throw than a 10 yard out, and he had a chance for YAC.

Great job by the way. I love this stuff.

The last one where Clay was wide open, I'm guessing TT went with the out because they were running the 2 minute offense (such as it is). Considering how long the offense takes to set up and run a play, I wouldn't want them going down the middle in that situation.

On the first play, the design should've had the slant curve in to the opposite 40 yard marker. Easier throw than a 10 yard out, and he had a chance for YAC.

Great job by the way. I love this stuff.

Good point on Goodwin throw and 2 min drill. Not necessarily a bad read by TT to go to Goodwin on that play.. just sloppy mechanics to get the ball there. Also illustrates that yes Clay runs routes over the middle.. and yes he is sometimes open on those routes.

Edited by Bocephuz

Good point on Goodwin throw and 2 min drill. Not necessarily a bad read by TT to go to Goodwin on that play.. just sloppy mechanics to get the ball there. Also illustrates that yes Clay runs routes over the middle.. and yes he is sometimes open on those routes.

We had 2 timeouts (I'm surprised we had them too), Clay was an easier throw to make and had a potential for a TD....

I know calls go both ways, but there were a handful of holding calls on their OL that went unnoticed....

There were quite a few actually....