Position-specific traits

One of the things that I often wonder is how my process differs from others when watching football. Having spent a lot of time watching draft prospects over the past 3-4 years, I've certainly noticed that I've developed a type. I can watch a certain player in a certain position and key in on my focal points.

I feel that it's more a case of refining a process to try and eradicate future mistakes. I've learned to not fear being wrong but to embrace it and learn from it.

To get a bigger point of reference, enlighten me on what you look for in any particular position.

Not a scout by any means - but i typically look at production. I like guys from big 4 conferences, that have produced for like 2 or more years. I feel like you know what you are getting from those guys.

I feel like you see these "athletic freak" guys who are so strong and fast, but don't know how to play football.

Good thread, couple of positions stand out for me where I have a "type"

In defensive backs I look for how they use their body, are they able to stay low in their stance, especially when back pedalling to give themselves leverage in their breaks? Are they physical? Do they compete for the ball at the highest possible point? If a guy doesn't have those 3 elements in his game then I think he is unlikely to be a successful man cover corner in the NFL even if he is really effective in other facets and I start looking at whether he has the speed in his hips and agility to be a slot guy or are you looking at someone who really needs to play in a zone based scheme or even as a safety at the next level.

In pass rushers I look, like everyone, for explosion but I really value technique. I have seen too many pure explosion, speed rushers in college flame out in the NFL because the higher calibre tackles are able to negate their speed. Hands technique in particular is really important to my evaluations (it's why I really liked Shaq), but do they have a spin move? Are they good at disguising the rush? Those kinds of qualities matter and depending on your scheme - what else can they do? If you are looking for a 3-4 edge rusher in particular then - can they set the edge effectively (and force them into the 3 big bodies inside)? And can they play in space?

Not a scout by any means - but i typically look at production. I like guys from big 4 conferences, that have produced for like 2 or more years. I feel like you know what you are getting from those guys.

I feel like you see these "athletic freak" guys who are so strong and fast, but don't know how to play football.

I'm still weighing up how much production matters to me. I think that, for the most part, all good players are productive but not all productive players are good. On the All-Time passing yards in a career list for CFB, you have to go down to #10 before you find anyone with a pro career worth talking about (P. Rivers).

The biggest test case for 2017 will be Auburn DE Carl Lawson. Watch him against Laremy Tunsil and you think he'll be a phenom. Look at his stats and it's 18 games, 37 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 5 sacks, 2 FF. At some point, like with Robert Nkemdiche, you have to see talent become production.

Flexible hips for a db, Good hands/ speed for receivers/ TE. A lack of knee injuries for a RB. A QB with a good completion percentage. Linemen without back problems. Linebackers that can cover

For me its pretty simple.

I look at the following things.

1. The division they are in. --Do they regularly play against top competition?

2. How long did they play?-- Are they a one year wonder?

3. Are they consistent?--How are their stats over the 3-4 years?--Is there any drop off or are the numbers similar?

4. Measurements--Do they fit the part? Can their frame handle the toll the NFL takes on a player.

CBF

Assume you're talking strictly draft here. I break it up like this:

Early round picks - I like a combination of production against NFL quality opposition AND high measurables/metrics overall. There's no reason to favor a work out warrior without production or high producer with questionable measurables early on in the draft. Go for a guy who has both.

Mid round picks - I look for quality role players - with upside, if possible. Sometimes scheme-specific starters or quality starters at less important positions can be found here as well. Or even the occasional elite talent with an injury/off the field problem.

Late round picks - I favor high metrics/measurable players from smaller schools or lesser programs. Gems can be found sometimes with players who have talent, but never got the coaching they needed to excel. I look for players who've slid for other reasons as well - injury, off the field issues, drastic changes in program, etc.

There is fluidity between those breakdowns and there are certainly exceptions, but that is my basic framework.