2016 Changes to Coaches Challenges & Reviewable Plays

@bylindsayhjones

Owners passed change to instant replay today. Coaches can challenge the following type of plays:

CjO0tlrUUAEb0kV.jpg

@RapSheet

The full changes RT @NFL345: Adopted Playing Rules Change Proposal - Instant Replay http://tinyurl.com/jyoze6h

@AroundTheNFL

Here's the PDF explaining the changes made to the replay system today http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2016/05/24/0ap3000000664573.pdf

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Ok what the heck is penalty enforcement and why the heck can you challenge number of players on the field whether a penalty was called or not? Isn't that just gonna encourage more quick snap plays that are IMO a chinsy way to get yards. If the refs don't allow for substitutions, as is sometimes the case, then this type of infraction can almost be game planned it would seem.

Penalty enforecment probably refers to placement of the ball. If the coach thinks a PI occurred at the 28 yard line but it is spotted at the 23 yardline. Or the ref walks off 10 yards for holding but started at the wrong LOS.

I can see your point about the quick snap. If coaches like Rex try to rush guys on the field when then offense doesn't change personnel they may encourage the offense to quick snap more often. The rules are pretty clear about giving the defense a chance to sub if the offense subs.

What NE did with their player, I think it was Chandler, was to have him start coming on the field and then go back before getting in the huddle. It simulated a personnel change. I don't see from this list that this tactic would be able to be reviewed as the player was off the field at the time of the snap.

I really feel as though all "targeting a defenseless player" personal foul penalties should be subject to review. It seems like whenever there is a huge hit across the middle, or somebody's hat pops off, the immediate reaction and inclination from the refs is to throw the flag. In many cases, a review of the play in slow motion reveals that the hit was perfectly clean and impeccably timed.

I guess I've just seen too many drives extended by what appeared to be fantastic defensive plays that were not dirty.

I really feel as though all "targeting a defenseless player" personal foul penalties should be subject to review. It seems like whenever there is a huge hit across the middle, or somebody's hat pops off, the immediate reaction and inclination from the refs is to throw the flag. In many cases, a review of the play in slow motion reveals that the hit was perfectly clean and impeccably timed.

I guess I've just seen too many drives extended by what appeared to be fantastic defensive plays that were not dirty.

There is absolutely no reason personal fouls should not be reviewable. PI too, but that's been discussed ad nauseum.

I am with the Ravens proposal. Everything except for obvious judgment calls should be reviewable. If you have the ability to get something right why would you not? No one wants a mistake by an official to determine a game. This is especially true with the technology to get it correct. It seems like slowly the NFL is coming around to this. Now if we can only figure out what a catch is...