lbj, civil rights and the dixiecrats

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/19/media/all-the-way-hbo-movie-review/index.html

onr e of the best for tv movies I've ever seen. Spielberg directed. the acting is phenomenal and the subject matter compelling. anyone else see it?

Loved it! Reminds me of the Lincoln movie. Saw it this weekend. That scene about the women who was tortured in Mississippi by the police for registering blacks to vote was chilling. I had never heard that story, terrible!

Loved it! Reminds me of the Lincoln movie. Saw it this weekend. That scene about the women who was tortured in Mississippi by the police for registering blacks to vote was chilling. I had never heard that story, terrible!

I suspect it wasn't an isolated incident.

I think jboys might rethink his notion of southern democrat history if he watched this. Thurmond, Byrd and several other shameless racists are cast in an appropriate light after many years of unjustified cleansing of their reputations.

I suspect it wasn't an isolated incident.

I think jboys might rethink his notion of southern democrat history if he watched this. Thurmond, Byrd and several other shameless racists are cast in an appropriate light after many years of unjustified cleansing of their reputations.

Yes. And near the end of the movie they talk about how for the first time EVER Georgia voted Republican. Ya, just a coincidence that Goldwater was against Civil Rights legislation, on "Constitutional Grounds"

Yes. And near the end of the movie they talk about how for the first time EVER Georgia voted Republican. Ya, just a coincidence that Goldwater was against Civil Rights legislation, on "Constitutional Grounds"

mm hmm...where have we heard that argument recently?

The History Channel has a show about the war between the KKK and the Mafia. It traces a long, long path.

Interesting that W.D. Griffin's title, "Birth of a Nation" is being used for a wholly different story.

The Voting Rights Act never would have passed if it weren't for Republicans.

Which is why I understand why they continually insist that they are actually the original Republicans.

the movie based on a play, based on a book and rarely challenged for it's portrayal of the most powerful dixiecrats of the time explains who they were much better than a few sentences here can. a picture is worth a thousand words. call em whatever you want, i'll call them despicable and dishonorable.

The History Channel has a show about the war between the KKK and the Mafia. It traces a long, long path.

Interesting that W.D. Griffin's title, "Birth of a Nation" is being used for a wholly different story.

The Voting Rights Act never would have passed if it weren't for Republicans.

Republicans before Nixon's southern strategy was put in operation. The Reagan Democrats left the Democratic Party in droves after blacks became a major Democratic constituent and Dems started help blacks in the south get voting rights and such other things

You understand that the parties change, right? Not the same thing decade to decade

Oh wow, 90% of black people supporting Hillary the klan queen? lol

You don't see the hypocrisy inherent in HRC calling a known Klan leader her friend an mentor while the left launches attacks on Trump for being supported (not supporting) by David Duke?

HRC's words are there for you to listen to. Byrd's abysmal (and racist) voting record is also there for you to see.

So you agree that Senators Albert Gore, Sr., J. William Fulbright, and Robert Byrd are all despicable and dishonorable. Good.

Byrd, absolutely. Clinton's endorsement doesn't change his record. she probably needed something from him as I've said before, the only honorable candidate in the entire election cycle is Bernie.

Fulbright. don't know much about. was portrayed as needing his arm twisted on civil rights in the movie. whether that is accurate, I don't know.

gore sr was a relatively progressive southern dem., a rare bird in those days. had dealings with some undesirables like armand hammer and I understand there are some ethical questions concerning finances but I don't consider him in the same group. didn't vote for the civil rights act of 64 but did for the voting act. he was more a supporter of civil rights than almost any other southern colleague in a time and place that it was very difficult to be one. he must of had some principles but was not perfect.

Edited by birdog1960