Some post-draft thoughts

A few thoughts below:

1. Is it now critical that we sign one or both of Gilmore and Glenn before the end of the 2016 season (preferably both before the season begins to get some cap flexibility before the season begins)? The Bills did not use picks at the top of the draft to address these positions and there do not seem to be any replacements for Gilmore and Glenn currently on the roster. If we do not re-sign Gilmore and/or Glenn, we will go into next offseason with Gilmore, Glenn and Taylor as free agents and the ability to use only one franchise tag, which could mean, in a worst case scenario, losing two out of the tree to free agency without adequate replacements on the roster.

I took the fact that the way the draft fell that Whaley is confident that both Glenn and Gilmore will be resigned.

2. I liked the first two pick in our draft. Both fill significant holes. Hard to assess the rest of the picks, but the results of this draft seem to indirectly suggest that the Bills will at least try to re-sign Taylor since Jones is a project and Manuel is not a starting caliber QB.

I agree with this.....I thing C. Jones is a attempt to replace EJ Manuel on this roster. Not TT.

3. The Bills had a surprising number of holes going into this draft. You can argue that DE, WR, LB, RT and possibly RG needed a new starter or an upgrade. Being up against the cap has not allowed the Bills to fill some of these holes with starting caliber players.

I caught onto to something when Whaley and RR were in their post draft conference.......RR did not say they addressed weaknesses. He said they addressed "perceived weaknesses" this is not to say that we didnt have holes on this team....just that there might not be as many as you might think.

4. At RG, Miller really needs to step it up. Mills and Henderson at RT do not inspire confidence. Unfortunate that we could not address the right side of the o-line in free agency or the draft in any meaningful way.

You are way to hard on Miller......he was hurt most of last year and a ROOKIE....lots of rookies struggle. We did bring in a starting experience OG....it is not one of the holes on the team.

5. I like the drafting of Williams (Arkansas) at RB. With the injuries (concussions) that K. Williams had last year, I thought it was smart to draft a RB, particularly a player who was undervalued because of an injury during his senior year.

I agree....we are not nearly as set at RB as some people may seem and I am glad they stayed true to there value board......another thing to consider. I think the bills might have grown tired of McCoy's off the field issues and comments. They probably dont make a bid deal about it this year but this is a draft pick for the future......Karlos is going to have to have his reps limited due to his concussions.......Gililslee looks solid...but this is a run dominant team.

6. I like Ragland and think he will be an immediate and strong starter. Not sure about Lawson's ability to be an impact starter in his first year. Both should be strong additions over the long-term, but is it unfair and/or unrealistic to think that they will be better in their first year than the guys they are replacing (Bradham and M. Williams)?

The production of Ragland is going to have a real effect on how well this D does this next year. Shaq is a special talent who will be making a position change....BUT.....at a certain point this last year Mario Williams straight quit on this team....I am expecting the same level of 2014 production and a big jump in year 2.......it is going to not be as noticable because the D as a whole will be better this year due to its 2nd year in the system.

7. Still seems kind of odd to me that going into last season, the Bills had a very strong defense that Rex was going to take to the next level. Fast forward to this season, and we need to spend out top picks in the draft to improve a poorly rated defense.

Its a complex D that didnt have full by in from all of its starters.....it now has the right 'type" of players on it.....expect an improvement.

8. A bit worried about our WRs after Watkins. I do not think that Woods is an adequate #2 or slot receiver and we cannot count on Goodwin or the street free agents that we signed to be an upgrade. Our draft pick Listenbee is raw and it probably unrealistic to assume that he will make a significant contribution in his first year.

What Listenbee offers is speed to take the top off the defense (like we needed from Goodwin)

Its still a run dom offense that needs to get Watkins 10 targets a game. Woods needs to show that he is healthy and is a servicible number 2

Can't argue with any of these other than the last part of #6. If Lawson attempts to even perform a football move on defense, he will be an immediate upgrade over Mario...

Also, look for Clay to be part of the Passing offense more this year. He is getting comfortable in Roman's offense and he along with Karlos Willams will line up at WR.

Re: Cardale. He is the perfect developmental pick that is little threat to challenge EJM for the backup job. If they'd gone with another more polished QB there would be talk that the 2013 1st round pick wasn't thought of as good enough to backup. And last year signing Cassel ensured EJM was in street clothes on game day.

A lack of depth at QB, WR, OT, and perhaps TE is going to affect this team at some point.

Re: Cardale. He is the perfect developmental pick that is little threat to challenge EJM for the backup job. If they'd gone with another more polished QB there would be talk that the 2013 1st round pick wasn't thought of as good enough to backup. And last year signing Cassel ensured EJM was in street clothes on game day.

A lack of depth at QB, WR, OT, and perhaps TE is going to affect this team at some point.

Actually I see the Jones pick as solidifying EJ's presence as #2 for 2016. Unless a vet QB is acquired that comes in and pushes EJ off that's the QB roster. I'm a Buckeye alum and watch pretty much every OSU game (stomps of very low level competition sometimes excepted). Jones was a good pick and has a ton of raw talent, but he's years (plural) away from anyone even considering putting him on the field in a meaningful NFL game. No way do I consider him a #2 in 2016.

I agree with the last line though and I think that point is going to be right away - especially where WR and OL are concerned.

Actually I see the Jones pick as solidifying EJ's presence as #2 for 2016. Unless a vet QB is acquired that comes in and pushes EJ off that's the QB roster. I'm a Buckeye alum and watch pretty much every OSU game (stomps of very low level competition sometimes excepted). Jones was a good pick and has a ton of raw talent, but he's years (plural) away from anyone even considering putting him on the field in a meaningful NFL game. No way do I consider him a #2 in 2016.

I agree with the last line though and I think that point is going to be right away - especially where WR and OL are concerned.

Multiple years seems to be a common take.

Well, there is a chance CJ won't get years. TT didn't get his extension. It would be a surprise if EJM received or wanted a 2nd contract from Buffalo. So, there is this chance the Bills will get Broncoed at QB. That would leave them with a long-term project, a blank slate, a big lump of clay, as their option (singular) perhaps.

If one looks at this pick under that scenario, it does raise some strategic questions.