Shelton for Henry

Frez

If this trade goes down, its player for player with NO draft picks involved. I think the Cards should be happy to get a player like Travis Henry since their other options are pretty bad right now. Rudi Johnson is franchised, Edge is going to be, and Shaun Alexander might as well just get his bags packed and shipped to Philly. So the Cards will be fighting with teams like Oakland, San Francisco, Miami, Tampa Bay, etc for the services of...Lamont Jordan. Whoopee!

... hope they do it ASAP ... best for both teams ... both teams can start moving foward afterwards ... I think Mr Shelton would do well here with our Offensive Line Coachs and his brother being on the team ! ... He may want to prove himself here that he's better than he was with the Cardinals and prove Dennis Green wrong ... It would be sweet if we can keep JJ, but not at a "over inflated" market value ... tom

If this trade goes down, its player for player with NO draft picks involved.  I think the Cards should be happy to get a player like Travis Henry since their other options are pretty bad right now.  Rudi Johnson is franchised, Edge is going to be, and Shaun Alexander might as well just get his bags packed and shipped to Philly.  So the Cards will be fighting with teams like Oakland, San Francisco, Miami, Tampa Bay, etc for the services of...Lamont Jordan.  Whoopee!

246006[/snapback]

... good call ...

I don't know much about LJ Shelton. What caliber of a LT are we getting if this trade goes through? Is he an upgrade/downgrade over Jennings... is he an all pro caliber player, average?

246005[/snapback]

AZ deemed him a good enough player that they signed him to a signficant LT contract when he hit FA. However, given the inflated LT contracts which are far above the relative play or impact of a player its hard to say that he is very good but reasonable to say that he is at least adequate as an LT.

Jennings has also at least been adequate with signs of good potential. However, it is a real truth that he has had at least as many penaltie/game as the norm if not more. he was beaten like a drum by a good talent in Abraham in one of the games against the Jets, and he has never played a full season as a Pro so deeming him adequate is about as much as canm rationally be done looking at his past real world accomplishments.

1. I'd give the nod to Shelton over Jennings here in terms of accomplishments.

The injury to Shelton was also real year before last and seemingly was part of the reason he reported to camp overweight. His rep in terms of injury however, is a very good one as he has been able to play several full seasons in his career without injury and even generated a nickname as "The Last Man Standing" a couple of yeats back as he one of the few and best performing Cards to escape injury. The same docs who made a great call on WM need to see him to judge his most recent injury created no permanent deficit.

Injury is simply a major drawback with JJ as he never has been able to start every game and he has had to leave several games with injuries even though he answered the call the next game to start in several cases.

2. Assuming the docs give him passing grades, a bbig advantage here to Shelton.

Age an contract issues are relevant here. JJ is younger but not by a lot as he has 4 years and Shelton has 6. Contractually, Shelton brings a cap hit of $3 million and JJ easily will match this and probably will cost at least an annual average of 4 if not 5 million or more to sign.

3. Big advantage for Shelton in this regard.

Overall, i think looking at past accomplishments Shelton is a major upgrde over Jennings. The docs will need to attest that the recent Shelton injury will not diminish his ability beyond the past. Due diligience also requires checking to make sure his demotion in AZ occured because of his run-in with a new HC and a world class contract LT (Davis) being available again not due to some performance issue.

However, if the docs say he is fine this one seems like a no-brainer to me comparing JJ with Shelton.

I don't know much about LJ Shelton. What caliber of a LT are we getting if this trade goes through? Is he an upgrade/downgrade over Jennings... is he an all pro caliber player, average?

246005[/snapback]

He was a first round pick coming out of college, but has been saddled with the "overrated" label by some. Like Jennings he's had a problem with some nagging injuries over the last few years. At 29 he still has a little time to get things straightened out and have a decent career. While he was in Dennins Green's doghouse for reporting to camp overweight, he was dealing with an injury problem that prevented him from working out much in the offseason. Reportedly he has a good attitude and is willing to work.

I love this trade for the Bills. Not only do we get JJ's replacement, but we also keep TH away from Miami.

AZ will have to negotiate a new contract with TH but they can probably get a reasonably good deal since TH has a year left on his old contract. TH gets his big money a year early and would get a starting job.

$3 million a yr for 4 more yrs for a LT is a bargain for the Bills.

I'd REALLY like to know what McNally thinks of Shelton.  I means it's not even worth talking about trading for him if McNally doesn't think much of him.

246305[/snapback]

Mad--I wondered this as well, but I think a positive sign with regard to Coach McNally's feeling about Shelton is that the Bills brought him in for a physical. McNally has almost a "rain-man" like knowledge of lineman in the league--I think he knows Mr. Shelton pretty well-

The only thing that worries me is that if this goes down--both our tackles are big but susceptible to the speed rush...but man is Willis going to be excited about running behind these two mammoth mastadons...