Jason Peters worked out by NYG

Thailog80

he's a mental midget. there's a reason he wasn't drafted. that being said, i was hoping he'd end up on our PS, where he can take a Loooonnngg time to learn Mularkey's system. The Giants are thin everywhere, and I wouldn't be surprised if they sign him to the active roster.

Frick!  I guess Hilton agreed to join the Bucs' practice squad.  I didn't you could do that yet!  If so, get Peters signed to it now.

18603[/snapback]

You can't Monday is the earliest you can start to add players.

You can't Monday is the earliest you can start to add players.

18618[/snapback]

It must be a future (meaning Monday) thing then:

"Buccaneers | Hilton Joining Team - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 4 Sep 2004 14:19:17 -0700

Jim Flynn, of PewterReport.com, reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have reached a verbal contract agreement with DE Isaac Hilton to join the team's practice squad."

Peters probably didn't stand out as a receiver to back-up Campbell but most importantly, his run blocking skills must've been pretty bad.  After all, this new regime appears to want to run the ball down our opponents throat!

Finally!

18712[/snapback]

It's amazing that a TE his size, which is at least 65# heavier than your average TE, isn't a good blocker. What a shame.

Why did he get kicked to the curb? All this hype about how tall and great he was.

Now he is with the new jersey giants.  Sup with that?

18533[/snapback]

You answered your own question. The key word is "hype". All the reports of him being a 3rd round draft prospect who has great numbers and is scooped by the Bills as a UDFA got everyone excited. In hindsight, it was clear why he was a UDFA. Maybe he will develop some day, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over cutting him.

Frick!  I guess Hilton agreed to join the Bucs' practice squad.  I didn't you could do that yet!  If so, get Peters signed to it now.

18603[/snapback]

You can't officially sign them to a PS contract until sometime tomorrow. I don't see anything illegal about getting verbal commitments from any players your interested in today or tonight.

So, if more than one team wants to put a player on their practice squad, how does that work?  Does one have to outbid the other??

18633[/snapback]

My understanding is that a team cannot outbid another team in terms of salary for a practice squad player. The amount of payment is set on a per game basis at a few thousand K per game (as opposed to the annual minimum which is a few hundred thousand K per season) and is part of the salary cap total.

If teams were allowed to outbid each other for practice squad players, competition for prospects would slowly but surely move these salaries through the roof.

Teams can "outbid" each other in terms of the amount they suck up to players and demonstate that deveopment on their squad represents the better chance a player has to eventually make it. I could see how Peters (dumb as dirt as he apparently is) would actually have a better chance of eventually making it on some other squad than the Bills. In Buffalo he will have to beat out Campbell (NFL vet and starter), Neufeld (NFL vet and proven H-back and potential long-snapper) and Euhus (Moderate draft pick) to merely make the squad and even after that MM has said good things about Trafford being an NFL quality player.

Peters offers some definite upside in terms of his size and hands but his contribution does not appear immediate and their maybe weaker competition to deal with with NYG rather than here.

It is also my understanding (correct me please if I am wrong about the voluminous and often changing CBA rules) that a player cannot qualify for the PS after making the roster and that a PS player can only be stolen from the team that signed him if his new team gives him a roster spot right away.

Guest Answer Man
It is also my understanding (correct me please if I am wrong about the voluminous and often changing CBA rules) that a player cannot qualify for the PS after making the roster and that a PS player can only be stolen from the team that signed him if his new team gives him a roster spot right away.

18891[/snapback]

Incorrect. A player can appear on regular roster but only a limited number of games. You see players signed to roster and then demoted a game or two later (needs to be at least one game) to practice squad. You may be on a practice squad no more than two years. Reminds me of minor league baseball.

Incorrect.  A player can appear on regular roster but only a limited number of games.  You see players signed to roster and then demoted a game or two later (needs to be at least one game) to practice squad.  You may be on a practice squad no more than two years.  Reminds me of minor league baseball.

18948[/snapback]

Many thanks! Do you have links to sites for short pithy answers (which you graciously provide and thank for that)? I have the full text of the CBA but really dread taking the time to look through all the amendments to find the correct answers to questions. Thanks again.

My understanding is that a team cannot outbid another team in terms of salary for a practice squad player.  The amount of payment is set on a per game basis at a few thousand K per game (as opposed to the annual minimum which is a few hundred thousand K per season) and is part of the salary cap total.

18891[/snapback]

IIRC, a cut player becomes a FA and is subject to waivers. I imagine the player could sign for any amount by the team that claimed him. They may want him as an active plater, not for the PS.