Janine Talley Writes About Post NFL Life with Darryl

@BuffRumblings

Real Life Delivers More Hits Than Concussion Movie Portrays

by Janine Talley

DarrylTalley2016.jpg

As the wife of a NFL veteran, a veteran whose physical and mental decline has been documented, it was suggested that I see the movie Concussion and write about how it relates to my life. The movie stars Will Smith as Dr. Bennet Omalu, a forensic pathologist who discovered chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) while performing the autopsies of former NFL players.

Dr. Omalu naively thought the NFL would embrace his findings. He was wrong. Instead the NFL waged a war against him that nearly snuffed out his career.

Until just this week when Jeff Miller, the NFL’s executive vice president for health and safety, admitted to Congress that he thinks football and CTE are linked, the NFL had vehemently denied a connection.

Baby steps, folks.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Would her husband have quit playing if a connection was as well known while he was in his prime?

did you read the note from Mrs. Talley? just wondering mister analytical.

thanks for the link 26.

Even though it was hard to read ( painful ) i did.

and glad i took the time.

I should again recognize Chevy Van Miller for his inspired effort !

Making a difference in peoples lives is what we humans should strive for.

If only to reach out a hand when one has fallen

did you read the note from Mrs. Talley? just wondering mister analytical.

thanks for the link 26.

Even though it was hard to read ( painful ) i did.

and glad i took the time.

I should again recognize Chevy Van Miller for his inspired effort !

Making a difference in peoples lives is what we humans should strive for.

If only to reach out a hand when one has fallen

I did. It was a poignant pice for sure. But taking the NFL to task ignores the question I asked in my post above.

26- Thanks for sharing. It is hard to read about one of my favorite players of all time for the Bills. No one signs up for this for the rest of their life. Even back then guys knew they could get concussions and deal with severe pain (but they thought it would go away), and they were warriors, but they didn't know there was such a link to severe brain damage that could destroy the quality of their lives.

I really feel for him and his family.

Most NFL players say they would do it all over again. Personally, I will not let my sons play tackle football. The concern for me has always been the risk of neck injuries and being paralyzed not so much brain injury.

Edited by DDD

Would her husband have quit playing if a connection was as well known while he was in his prime?

Very sad story to read for all of us who loved watching him play.

In terms of your question, I personally liken this issue to where smoking was in the mid-60's when there were suspicions without too much scientific proof. That proof is now starting to come in on the impact of playing football as a career. I don't think it's that fair to judge folks like Daryl who didn't have all the information at hand to make an informed decision back then and, even if they did, I'm not sure that they (or any of us, frankly, were we in their shoes) at the indestructible and not fully formed adult age of 22 or so would make a long-term safer choice. One never knows, however, as folks like Chris Borland and his early retirement point out.

God bless the Talley family.

I did. It was a poignant pice for sure. But taking the NFL to task ignores the question I asked in my post above.

Its a tough question. Cultures change. Hindsight is a teacher in most ways.

The better question might be, would the Talleys or anyone who knows them closely allow their Kids to play football knowing what they do now.

The responsibility of the NFL in this is an entirely different matter.

And not something i care to pursue in this thread, Thanks Weo.

Wow. Heartbreaking stuff.

Not only should the NFL start helping veterans suffering from CTE, or other long-term effects of the game, it should start helping their families.

And making the game safer for current and future players has got to become the overwhelming #1 priority.

Hondo - I think that is what the $700,000,000 settlement is earmarked for those ex-players and their families. I'm not an expert though so happy to hear anyone else's information.

It's too bad the Pegulas couldn't find something for him to do in the organization. I know they lived in Orlando, but for a decent job and good medical benefits, I would think they would consider moving back to Buffalo. It's not the Pegulas obligation, but certainly would be nice, and appreciated by the fan base.

I would submit that there might have been a problem way back in 1992.On NOV.2 of that year he was arrested for driving while impaired in our community.During the arrest he told the police officer something completely inappropriate.This is well documented online, just google it.He was never a great member of this community although I know some of you here love anybody who can put points on a scoreboard or in this case keep them off and dismiss personal behavior.

Edited by Very wide right

I would submit that there might have been a problem way back in 1992.On NOV.2 of that year he was arrested for driving while impaired in our community.During the arrest he told the police officer something completely inappropriate.This is well documented online, just google it.He was never a great member of this community although I know some of you here love anybody who can put points on a scoreboard or in this case keep them off and dismiss personal behavior.

Isn't this more about someone who needed help

A Family story.

Not about degrading Talley. Is it ?

Wow. Heartbreaking stuff.

Not only should the NFL start helping veterans suffering from CTE, or other long-term effects of the game, it should start helping their families.

And making the game safer for current and future players has got to become the overwhelming #1 priority.

NFL does not have to.

But they sure should. With the revenue and profits available. stop spending money on Pink cleats (advertising )and spend it where it does the most good.

Its a tough question. Cultures change. Hindsight is a teacher in most ways.

The better question might be, would the Talleys or anyone who knows them closely allow their Kids to play football knowing what they do now.

The responsibility of the NFL in this is an entirely different matter.

And not something i care to pursue in this thread, Thanks Weo.

Not really a tough question. Every player in the NFL knows all there is to know currently about concussions and CTE, yet with exceptions so rare that they make breaking news, NFL players have chosen to continue to play despite the risk.

Talley absolutely would have as well.

Not really a tough question. Every player in the NFL knows all there is to know currently about concussions and CTE, yet with exceptions so rare that they make breaking news, NFL players have chosen to continue to play despite the risk.

Talley absolutely would have as well.

I don't know if that can be measured yet?

Have to look at the Pop Warner level and poll parents.

it a different generation with new knowledge.

But you are quite likely right, Talley would have. But who knew back then , the long term affects?

Of course the method of training, health care, rehabbing injuries have come a long way too.

I don't know if that can be measured yet?

Have to look at the Pop Warner level and poll parents.

it a different generation with new knowledge.

But you are quite likely right, Talley would have. But who knew back then , the long term affects?

Of course the method of training, health care, rehabbing injuries have come a long way too.

I'm asking about NFL players, not whether parents would let their kids play. NFL players know and accept the risks almost to a man. Talley would have kept playing just as (essentially) all player do now. The new knowledge has not affected their decision to play pro football.

I'm asking about NFL players, not whether parents would let their kids play. NFL players know and accept the risks almost to a man. Talley would have kept playing just as (essentially) all player do now. The new knowledge has not affected their decision to play pro football.

NFL players have been focused upon the craft most of their lives. It is what they strived for.

That is why i am saying for those not already embedded into football as a career is where the shift will occur.

Not from those as much who worked and dreamed all life long of being an NFLer.

maybe we are talking around each other here.

So perhaps we just allow the Talley family to be a teacher of what " did " happen and hope the awareness level is raised.

I cannot find any reason to degrade Janine Talley in her articles. Actually i support her in telling her story.

Its not just about football Mr Weo, It is about what families can go through when a member becomes severely unhealthy. The trial.

Some folks already know about what cancer does what chemo does, what alzheimer's does.

Some do not.

I am a sympathizer to others who struggle, and have been a family caregiver as it naturally occurs by my age.

My Son played Pop warner and it was one of the most awesome parts of our bonding. If i had known what i do now? I would not have reinforced his commitment into high school.

My kids all wanted street bikes( sport motorcycles ) but i have friends who have died or nearly died innocently and not so innocently.

I made every effort to turn them away from that.

so that is why i refer to the children coming up will be the ones who reflect a shifting attitude to the extreme violence of NFL football.

Edited by 3rdand12

Exactly right. There are plenty of occupations that come with severe health and safety risks: military service, coal mining, window washing, oil and gas workers, nuclear plants, etc. Playing in the NFL happens to be a livelihood in which players can earn millions of dollars for the privilege of doing so. As earnings continue to skyrocket, NFL will have no problem filling its rosters for the foreseeable future with quality talent.

While its true that the NFL can and should do more to help folks like DT, Janine and family lived well beyond their means for quite a long time before receiving the generous and kind-hearted handout from #BillsMafia.kind-hearted handout from #BillsMafia.

Edited by Dawgg

NFL players have been focused upon the craft most of their lives. It is what they strived for.

That is why i am saying for those not already embedded into football as a career is where the shift will occur.

Not from those as much who worked and dreamed all life long of being an NFLer.

maybe we are talking around each other here.

So perhaps we just allow the Talley family to be a teacher of what " did " happen and hope the awareness level is raised.

I cannot find any reason to degrade Janine Talley in her articles. Actually i support her in telling her story.

Its not just about football Mr Weo, It is about what families can go through when a member becomes severely unhealthy. The trial.

Some folks already know about what cancer does what chemo does, what alzheimer's does.

Some do not.

I am a sympathizer to others who struggle, and have been a family caregiver as it naturally occurs by my age.

My Son played Pop warner and it was one of the most awesome parts of our bonding. If i had known what i do now? I would not have reinforced his commitment into high school.

My kids all wanted street bikes( sport motorcycles ) but i have friends who have died or nearly died innocently and not so innocently.

I made every effort to turn them away from that.

so that is why i refer to the children coming up will be the ones who reflect a shifting attitude to the extreme violence of NFL football.

Who's denigrating her? I'm just saying her contention that the NFL has admitted the obvious too late is beside the point and really changes nothing, nor would it have for her family.

Who's denigrating her? I'm just saying her contention that the NFL has admitted the obvious too late is beside the point and really changes nothing, nor would it have for her family.

I said " i " cannot take offense with her speaking out towards the NFL. I did not say you.

And you are correct. Without the current information now available to the general public the NFL did not need to become more proactive.

There were plenty of drugs easily accessible to allow players to stay on the field. If you do not know any better why would you question the practices?

Allow me to bow out buddy.

I dont want to turn this into more of a debate than it has. And i sure do not want any negative comments to flow into this thread by defending Janine.

we could PM if you wish.

I already feel embarrassed it has gone this far.

forgive me please. was not my intention at all.