Jim Kelly: 'The U is going to be back' under Mark Richt

Punching Bag

After living in Miami from 2006 to 2011 it seems every year they think they will be "back." I hope this is the case as I think the coaching choice is an upgrade over past choices.

On a side note, I am planning of going up to my alma matter to see Miami @ Appalachian State University in Boone, NC this year. Should be fun!

P.S. I went to ASU not Miami

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need a great coach to win a national championship at Georgia.

Richt is not that guy.

But you don't need to have a great HC to win one at Miami.

That's just the truth.

Richt just needs to recruit his back yard very well and be an average HC with a decent staff.

People who think that the high school talent has somehow become "spread around" the 50 states or that the well has run dry in south florida over the past 15 years are kidding themselves. :lol:

So what happened the past 10+ years? Those head coaches were actually all crap? Seems like any decent coach should be pulling in trophies year after year.

Really, you're delusional about "The U". Nobody cares anymore outside of their fans, who have been singing the same old song for a long time now.

Richt is not that guy.

That's just the truth.

Richt just needs to recruit his back yard very well and be an average HC with a decent staff.

People who think that the high school talent has somehow become "spread around" the 50 states or that the well has run dry in south florida over the past 15 years are kidding themselves. :lol:

People who think all that talent that every year chooses not to go to "the U" will suddenly be convinced to go there are kidding themselves.

So what happened the past 10+ years? Those head coaches were actually all crap? Seems like any decent coach should be pulling in trophies year after year.

Really, you're delusional about "The U". Nobody cares anymore outside of their fans, who have been singing the same old song for a long time now.

You mad bro?

So Larry Coker was a great coach? Butch Davis was a great coach? Those guys have done what since Miami besides fail in the NFL and at UNC and UTSA?

College football is cyclical. Teams are good for a while, teams are mediocre/bad for a while. Hell, even Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, USC have 10 year periods of mediocrity. What has Florida been doing lately? Are we to think they will never be elite again? Come on.

Edited by Mark80

You mad bro?

So Larry Coker was a great coach? Butch Davis was a great coach? Those guys have done what since Miami besides fail in the NFL and at UNC and UTSA?

College football is cyclical. Teams are good for a while, teams are mediocre/bad for a while. Hell, even Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, USC have 10 year periods of mediocrity. What has Florida been doing lately? Are we to think they will never be elite again? Come on.

When Urban Meyer goes to the U, they may be relevant again. Until then, this guy from Georgia will be no different than those before him. No reason to believe otherwise at this point. Just another new Miami HC...

You mad bro?

College football is cyclical. Teams are good for a while, teams are mediocre/bad for a while. Hell, even Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, USC have 10 year periods of mediocrity.

Am I mad? Umm, no. Just talking football. Are you mad....bro??

I have not and am not saying that Miami won't be a good team again. The only thing I'm disagreeing with is the Miami fans that are still living off the mystique of those 80's/early 90's teams that dominated the country. Hell, Miami may win a championship in the next 5 years, who knows? But the "U" crap is just living off past glory and has no basis in reality. They're just another big school with a good athletic program. They'll compete some years and not others.

And Mark Richt is not on the same level as Saban, Meyers, Harbaugh, etc..., and yes that does matter. The school wasn't built on a haunted Indian burial ground that somehow gives special consideration to the team. They still have to compete with some really great teams from around the country, and currently they have a lot to prove to even be considered better than the other major Florida team in their conference (and that REALLY pains me to say).

You mad bro?

I didn't say they were great coaches; but Miami fans sure as hell did when they were hired. Each one was finally the one that would restore greatness.

I didn't say they were great coaches; but Miami fans sure as hell did when they were hired. Each one was finally the one that would restore greatness.

Um...Miami teams were great under Butch Davis and the first few years of Coker including the 2002 Miami squad which is widely regarded as one of, if not the best college FB team of all time even if they did get robbed out of a national championship by the refs vs. Ohio State. Butch Davis built the team, had a great 2000 season and Coker took that team to the promise land in 2001 and almost repeated in 2002. He also have very good 2003, 2004, and 2005 seasons.

Edited by Mark80

it is amazing they aren't better with all that talent down there plus all UT has to offer in the way of facilities, tradition, Austin, etc...

It is, but the problems predated Strong. I certainly understand the allure, but I thought it was a big mistake for Strong to take that job. I think he's a very solid coach, but UT football is just a monster when it comes to boosters and expectations vs reality surrounding that program. Also the rumors are pretty non stop about how much interference a coach has to deal with there.

I do think this will be his last year, and I expect him to catch on somewhere else and start building his reputation again. He's a good solid coach that I think can make those kind of middle of the road teams better than their rosters indicate. He would have been a good fit in South Carolina (How Mushcamp got another HC job so soon, and in the SEC no less, is shocking to me).

Edited by Acantha

It is, but the problems predated Strong. I certainly understand the allure, but I thought it was a big mistake for Strong to take that job. I think he's a very solid coach, but UT football is just a monster when it comes to boosters and expectations vs reality surrounding that program. Also the rumors are pretty non stop about how much interference a coach has to deal with there.

I do think this will be his last year, and I expect him to catch on somewhere else and start building his reputation again. He's a good solid coach that I think can make those kind of middle of the road teams better than their rosters indicate. He would have been a good fit in South Carolina (How Mushcamp got another HC job so soon, and in the SEC no less, is shocking to me).

Strong made his mark at Louisville plucking talent out of South Florida while the U was in limbo.............going to Texas means they expect you to recruit Texas.........which is not what he knew.

I'm glad he committed career suicide because he is a great Florida recruiter. Glad he didn't end back up at Florida.

Again, I know Richt ain't great, Miami can't get a great HC because coaches want to get paid and they want Alabama facilities..........but Richt just went back to the school he played at and that is an area he knows how to recruit.

He is PRIMED to succeed.

Dabo and Jimbo are the two coaches that have benefitted the most by the U being in transition due to the looming sanctions and the 3 consecutive awful coaching hires.

Um...Miami teams were great under Butch Davis and the first few years of Coker including the 2002 Miami squad which is widely regarded as one of, if not the best college FB team of all time even if they did get robbed out of a national championship by the refs vs. Ohio State. Butch Davis built the team, had a great 2000 season and Coker took that team to the promise land in 2001 and almost repeated in 2002. He also have very good 2003, 2004, and 2005 seasons.

But, you know, this isn't the 80's. :lol:

They can start by upgrading their facilities. It's slipped when compared to the SEC.

That will likely never happen.

Richt is not that guy.

That's just the truth.

With the playoff configuration I will disagree with this. Richt has a knack for coming up small for the big game.

If you watched UGA games for the last 15 years you would know what I am talking about.

Maybe things will be different in Miami for him, but I doubt it. He may get into the playoffs because the ACC is a one team league year in and year out.

With the playoff configuration I will disagree with this. Richt has a knack for coming up small for the big game.

If you watched UGA games for the last 15 years you would know what I am talking about.

Maybe things will be different in Miami for him, but I doubt it. He may get into the playoffs because the ACC is a one team league year in and year out.

I watch plenty of college football and I have seen Georgia come up small in some big games........usually to more talented teams, though.......which Georgia fans may not want to admit......but to be honest Larry Coker and Dennis Erickson wouldn't last thru their first contract in the SEC...........let alone keep a program like Georgia regularly in contention........they would run Georgia into the ground fast..............and those guys won national championships at the U.

I'm certainly not presuming that Richt will get Miami back into regular national championship contention.........he's gotta' prove it.

The significance of the playoff system is that it favors talent........the more talented team is going to win that tournament most times.........the hard thing is getting there........and getting there from the ACC is easier than getting there from the SEC.