Love the game, but not the direction its headed in

the NFL is freakin awesome. stop it please. after watching many old old super bowls, to me it is surprising just how similar the game is to what we see today... yeah the guys are bigger and a bit faster, but the plays the runs the passes ... it all looks pretty familiar... its all just bigger and more media involved. yeah the top 100 players make a ton of dough, but thats about it .. after watching jack tatum/lyle alzado replays the game is definately safer than it was.. they were headhunting something fierce back in the day...

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL has historically had an image problem not providing their ex-players with adequate benefits. Is this news to you?

Why don't they do something about it? Why should they? That's the point that has apparently eluded you. It's the reality of the situation, and some people think that's kinda ****ty. You're welcome to believe that we all live in a vacuum and that they have no obligation outside of producing revenue, and that's fine. But people who feel otherwise aren't bananas. They're conscientious.

You might think that showing commercials every 43 seconds makes for a fine product. We all know the NFL will squeeze as much revenue-generating promotions into each and every broadcast. Some people think that compromises the product, which, of course is the entertainment of consuming professional football. You're welcome to feel otherwise. The people who don't aren't complaining about a company (as you say), they're complaining about the product, and their opinion is perfectly valid.

The NFL is now up to its neck in a concussion crisis. You may not see it this way. But many people do. The NFL arrived at this point because they went about their merry business for as long as they could until it became a full-fledged public nuisance. A handful of high-profile suicides tied to CTE which is tied to participating in football and boom, here we are. You might think that the NFL exists only to entertain the masses and to make money doing so, others happen to believe that some portion of their mountainous sums of money should be and should have been devoted to taking measures for prevention so that lives weren't ruined. It's not a radical idea.

But again, perhaps you believe we all live in a sterile, money driven environment and that all that matters is cash cash cash. Fine. But you should understand that not everybody believes that's the case.

What has somehow eluded you is that the OP is complaining about the direction the NFL is headed in. This direction includes addressing pensions for former players. This direction includes widespread changes in the handling of concussions and a billion dollar fund for former players. I was pointing out how the OP is factually wrong.

What on earth are you talking about at this point?

And why would anyone raised in this country be upset about commercials on a sporting event telecast? Really? This is what upsets you about your free game watching? And you know it's the networks that are cramming the commercials in, not the NFL. The networks have to pay for those massive TV rights (fueling and ever increasing salary cap) somehow, don't they? How else would they do it? The NFL allows 10 commercial breaks per game so networks can get the ads in.

How naïve are you and your Occupy NFL cohorts that you don't understand how games get to your living room? After you leave the drum circle, what is the alternative way you people have come up with to have the NFL run its business that would satisfy your sensibilities?

Tex Schramm, former president/GM of the Dallas Cowboys, once predicted that NFL games one day would be played in TV studios w/o crowds. Will this happen if prices keep going up?

The market will dictate the price.

Looking to vent and, perhaps, get feedback from Bills fans, on the current state and future direction of the NFL. First off, I am a HUGE football fan and start to get excited by the mere thought of the upcoming draft, the sweltering heat of training camp at SJF, and the crisp, autumn Sundays with the anticipation they bring. However, the NFL is starting to trouble me as it looks to build these gargantuan palaces for the corporate, jet-setters, extend internationally while seeming to overlook their loyal cities and fan bases, and ignore or work to cover up questionable strategies and approaches to "protect the game" and the incredible flow of revenue.

I was very excited when a local, Roger Goodell, was chosen to lead the league into the new century. He has increasingly become an embarrassment, unless you are one of the 32 owners, looking solely at the league coffers. He has business savvy, but the commissioner is morally bankrupt. He should have been fired after the Ray Rice debacle. Every time I see his mug at a press conference and hear him stammer, I am reminded of what a tool he truly is.

This is a league that, instead of being proactive, knew it had concussion-related issues and chose to wait, fight it, and let it explode. This is a league that fought "tooth and nail" against its retirees who built the league on their blood, bones, and guile. This is the league that seems to insulate their stars and star franchises until forced to go after them ("Deflategate") and look foolish in the process.

I know we'll never get back to the brilliance and simple nature of the game from the 1970s through the 1990s, when the focus still seemed to be on the fan at the stadium ... the ticket buyer ... the jersey wearer. But at least make more of an effort to reach out to your common fans and provide the illusion that we still matter in the grand scheme of things.

In my opinion, the part I highlighted is nothing more than a nostalgia that some sports fan have about the sport he/she loves. All of the major leagues have some fans who have the same gripe: the game/league was better X number of decades ago. The same people (not necessarily you) probably think the world was all sunshine and rainbows 40-50yrs ago too - the good ole days. It wasn't.

I love the NFL. It's the best sports entertainment product there is in the United States. And no, it wasn't better 20yrs ago. The game is faster, the players are stronger, and the coaches are as good as ever.

Edited by bobobonators

In my opinion, the part I highlighted is nothing more than a nostalgia that some sports fan have about the sport he/she loves. All of the major leagues have some fans who have the same gripe: the game/league was better X number of decades ago. The same people (not necessarily you) probably think the world was all sunshine and rainbows 40-50yrs ago too - the good ole days. It wasn't.

I love the NFL. It's the best sports entertainment product there is in the United States. And no, it wasn't better 20yrs ago. The game is faster, the players are stronger, and the coaches are as good as ever.

I find it interesting that one of the gripes I read from the 'good old days' crowd is how the Rams moving -- the first relocation in 19 years -- is all about greed. Were the six moves between 1982 - 1997 not about greed?

Certainly there are things about the league I like less these days; particularly the officiating/replay debacle and the over-protection of offensive players. But most of the rants in this thread have had very little substance or examples behind them.

Edited by KD in CT

I find it interesting that one of the gripes I read from the 'good old days' crowd is how the Rams moving -- the first relocation in 19 years -- is all about greed. Were the six moves between 1982 - 1997 not about greed?

Certainly there are things about the league I like less these days; particularly the officiating/replay debacle and the over-protection of offensive players. But most of the rants in this thread have had very little substance or examples behind them.

100% agree. But if you think about it the same thought process is typically extended to all aspects of society; it's the nostalgic "back then" syndrome. Back then people were kinder; back then there was less crime; back then children showed more respect; back then life was simpler; back then, etc. etc. etc. Essentially, everything was better "back then."

Greed isn't a novel development of the 21st century - it's innate human nature. It has been around since the dawn of man. Goodell's NFL did not invent it, nor perfect it. It's the same today as it was 40yrs ago the main difference (in my opinion) is the 24/7 news coverage constantly reminding you of it today.