Drafting a QB every year...

Thurmal34

Hopeful - nice post bud, and couldn't agree more. Every 2-3 years tops a QB in some round would continue to help this team. As you mentioned, if we have excellent scouting they will have trade value down the road.

Thanks. The interesting thing about the Packers is they acquired 3 QB who had long NFL careers in a 2 year stretch. They traded a 1st for Favre in 1992, but they clearly were after a "Plan B". They drafted Ty Detmer in 1992 and Mark Brunnell (a 3 time pro-bowler with Jax, most people forget that) in 1993. After that, they drafted 3 years of QB who didn't stick, followed by Matt Hasselbeck. So they picked 4 QB capable of starting in the NFL in a 6 year stretch. 3 of the 4 arguably had success as NFL QB.

Question to ponder: did they draft 4 QB capable of starting in the NFL in short order, or were they really really good at QB development?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until the Ravens landed Flacco they drafted 7 QBs in an 8 year stretch. After Flacco they still drafted Tryod. They are the only team this century to break the Manning/Brady/Rothlisberger stranglehold on the AFC. I think they have been smarter than the Bills.

Another interesting example. Their draftees in that period included 1 guy who was intended to start (Kyle Boller, 1st round) and 3 QB who went on to have some form of NFL career (Chris Redman, Derek Anderson, and Troy Smith, as well as Tyrod after Flacco. Now most of these guys were mid to late round picks (3, 6, 5 and 6). But I think the point remains. Took a shot at Redman in the 3rd, let him sit 2 years to develop, didn't like what they saw, drafted Boller in the 1st, gave him 4 years to see what he had meanwhile taking flyers on 3 late-round QB who might beat out their backup or prove to be sleepers. Didn't like how Boller was shaping, another QB in the 1st.

See, when people dump on Whaley for "missing" with EJ, I think instead they should be happy he swung on what they thought was the highest-ceiling guy in that draft, and want the Bills to take more shots at QB. A team WILL miss on QBs, but you never hit the shot you don't take.

Each time you draft a QB every year, you are neglecting an area of need that you could have used that pick to address

CBF, so you've said. But flip that around: each time you draft another player, especially a late round player, you are neglecting the most important team for a pick that could arguably have been addressed with a UDFA or vet-minimum FA pickup. As many have said, it's a lot more common to be able to pick up a FA corner or safety or LB or RB who might have something, than it is to pick up a FA QB.

So the question to ponder is: how common is it to pick up a QB in the late rounds and have him contribute, vs picking up a different "area of need" and have him contribute?

And aren't we supposed to be drafting "best player available" anyway? :rolleyes:

Another interesting example. Their draftees in that period included 1 guy who was intended to start (Kyle Boller, 1st round) and 3 QB who went on to have some form of NFL career (Chris Redman, Derek Anderson, and Troy Smith, as well as Tyrod after Flacco. Now most of these guys were mid to late round picks (3, 6, 5 and 6). But I think the point remains. Took a shot at Redman in the 3rd, let him sit 2 years to develop, didn't like what they saw, drafted Boller in the 1st, gave him 4 years to see what he had meanwhile taking flyers on 3 late-round QB who might beat out their backup or prove to be sleepers. Didn't like how Boller was shaping, another QB in the 1st.

See, when people dump on Whaley for "missing" with EJ, I think instead they should be happy he swung on what they thought was the highest-ceiling guy in that draft, and want the Bills to take more shots at QB. A team WILL miss on QBs, but you never hit the shot you don't take.

I agree and when I went back and looked at the Ravens model it is a sensible one. Between Boller in 03 and Flacco in 08 they picked 1 5th rounder and 2 6th rounders at Quarterback. That gives you sufficient time to focus development on your main guy whilst still taking shots later in the draft on guys with some upside who can develop at least into solid backups.

Draft a QB every year and then what? Each QB has one or 2 years to prove himself before he's kicked to the curb? Sounds like the dumbest idea ever.

While we're on this QB talk. IF Whaley is considering drafting ANOTHER developmental QB (stupid idea), I wouldn't be surprised if we took Jeff Driskel in the middle rounds.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83