The Drought

NextYearGuys

How is it possible for one franchise to not make the playoffs for 16 years straight. Out of the 4 major sports in America, we are the only team to not make the playoffs since 1999. I'm not even really that mad about it, just utterly confused. The NFL is a cycle; teams do poorly, get high draft picks (and get lucky on some later picks ie: Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, etc.), become good, and then become poor again for the most part. How is it even remotely possible for one franchise to be this bad for this long? What are the odds? I am just dumbfounded.

I feel bad for younger Bills fans. Imagine the first Bills game of your memory- I am guessing you were 5 or 6. Now imagine being a 22-year-old Bills fan- all you know is ****ty football. You have never seen anything but ****ty Bills football your whole life. That is pretty depressing

How is it possible for one franchise to not make the playoffs for 16 years straight. Out of the 4 major sports in America, we are the only team to not make the playoffs since 1999. I'm not even really that mad about it, just utterly confused. The NFL is a cycle; teams do poorly, get high draft picks (and get lucky on some later picks ie: Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, etc.), become good, and then become poor again for the most part. How is it even remotely possible for one franchise to be this bad for this long? What are the odds? I am just dumbfounded.

just to make you feel better the Patriots have been good the whole time we haven't.

I feel bad for younger Bills fans. Imagine the first Bills game of your memory- I am guessing you were 5 or 6. Now imagine being a 22-year-old Bills fan- all you know is ****ty football. You have never seen anything but ****ty Bills football your whole life. That is pretty depressing

I'm 21. All I've ever known is us being terrible. It is quite depressing.

Tom Brady. Franchise QBs are hard to find and when teams do hit on them, they rarely let them walk. Hall of Fame QBs are even harder to find. We've been stuck without a franchise QB in a division of one of the best of all time. It's really that simple.

Even more rare is when you have no lag between that level of QB and you are great for 20+ years (Packers now, 49ers of 80s/90s, Colts potentially).

Edited by Mark80

I'm 21. All I've ever known is us being terrible. It is quite depressing.

This shows by your thread. We're still in 2nd Place all-time behind the Saints, though we'll tie them if we miss the playoffs next Season. There are plenty of legit reasons for our incompetence, but the most likely 1st reason is/was RCW in his overly-frugal final decades. Which is saying a lot, given his previous 3 frugal decades. This is just Year 2 of a more modern ownership and despite the opinions of some around your age, the honeymoon IS still going on.

To your point about designed parity, yes, it boggles the mind that we don't eventually reap the benefit, but it still goes back to weak previous ownership. It won't help you much to know that when we finally do play a 17th game, it won't mean anything the following year, given parity.

Welcome to the rest of your life, whippersnapper.