Passion for the Sabres!!!!!!!!!

Like most of you, I grew up in WNY. We grew up loving the home team, the Bills, Sabres and for some of you the Braves. What I truly don't understand is how or why so few of you love the Sabres. With Buffalo being such a hockey town, I figured more of you would show more passion for our team. I have such fond memories of growing up listening and watching the games. Many of my friendships were driven by our interest in the team. Maybe with all the losses and The Rigas fiasco, the team doesn't interest you anymore. I for one, love our team regardless of record, ownership problems and strikes. Does anyone out there also love this team and follow it with the same passion as the Bills??? Doug in Clearwater

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like most of you, I grew up in WNY. We grew up loving the home team, the Bills, Sabres and for some of you the Braves. What I truly don't understand is how or why so  few of you love the Sabres. With Buffalo being such a hockey town, I figured more of you would show more passion for our team. I have such fond memories of growing up listening and watching the games. Many of my friendships were driven by our interest in the team. Maybe with all the losses and The Rigas fiasco, the team doesn't interest you anymore. I for one, love our team regardless of record, ownership problems and strikes. Does anyone out there also love this team and follow it with the same passion as the Bills???  Doug in Clearwater

242517[/snapback]

I do. But only when there's hockey. Now I follow the Amerks and Alaska Aces (ECHL).

Yea my friends and I often debate which we would rather have : A superbowl victory or a stanley cup. Most of us chose the SB but just because of the media attention that football gets. We are hockey nuts.

242521[/snapback]

Toss up for me. Lord Stanley is the toughest trophy to win in North America.

You have just described the bills for the last 5 years.

Why are we cool on te Sabres?  Lets see, mediocre team, expensive to go see, boring on TV, and no chance to win the Cup.  The team, even the entire sport, was much better in the early 90's with Pat L and Mogilny at their peak here.

242578[/snapback]

Screw the NHL, Screw the Sabres (I WAS a fan), screw Bettman, the owners, the agents, Goodenow and every player...I PRAY the Sabres are somehow contracted...will save good woriking people time and heard earned $ to spend on BETTER things

242684[/snapback]

Whoa. You make Archie Bunker look like an optimist.

Those greedy owners and players will NEVER get a dime of my money, Im selling all my Sabres stevestojan, because thats what it is to me now, a BIG pile of stevestojan taking up space

242691[/snapback]

I know you're pissed right now, but you would be more pissed if the owners had caved in and agreed to the nhlpa crap. We can only hope that they get it right over the summer, including fixing the problems on the ice and we have hockey come October.

I know you're pissed right now, but you would be more pissed if the owners had caved in and agreed to the nhlpa crap.  We can only hope that they get it right over the summer, including fixing the problems on the ice and we have hockey come October.

242699[/snapback]

Ive actually seen the light....they are all dead to me now....I could CARE LESS what they decide to do...Ill use my money to do other things, plenty more to do then watch hockey.

Personally, I hope this garbage now lasts 2,3 4 years, whatever at this point. Damage done.

Ive actually seen the light....they are all dead to me now....I could CARE LESS what they decide to do...Ill use my money to do other things, plenty more to do then watch hockey.

Personally, I hope this garbage now lasts 2,3 4 years, whatever at this point.  Damage done.

242703[/snapback]

Who am I to talk. Last time baseball went on strike, I did the same thing. Except for an occassional WS game, I have no interest.

First off.... I'm a huge Sabre's fan... I was born in Buffalo - and left at a young age, but love all things Buffalo... always have.

But, the Bills having made it to 4 consecutive superbowls for the first and possibly only time ever gained many fans from other places. There are many fans here who aren't necessarilly from WNY and don't share our love of the Sabres... to say nothing of the fans in WNY who simply don't like hockey at all or love another team... I, like you, couldn't figure out why many people here didn't show the sabres the same love they do the bills until I realized that.

The Sabres, in my opinion, will survive the Lockout assuming it ends and there is a "complete" season next year. Because New Ownership rejuvenated fans... and I think many fans agree with ownership that the player salaries are just plain crazy compared to revenues. They see it in terms of insane ticket prices...

I think some hockey teams won't survive the lockout, because they do not have the fan support... and to be honest that is probably a good thing because there are too many teams. Bettman and the league's biggest crime was adding teams as a way of generating revenue for owners when they couldn't market the league to get a decent TV contract. I'm even more thankful for Golsiano getting the Sabres last year, because without that ownership change, I'm sure the league would have folded the franchise.

Go Sabres in '05...