Best/Worst Visiting Fan Experience

Green Bay and Kansas City are unbelievable. Both better than Buffalo. Every other stadium I have been to- Denver, Miami, Seattle and San Diego- are not nearly as intense as a game in GB, KC or Buff. HUGE drop off. Then again, there seems to be an inverse correlation with intense fanbases/tailgating and how much there is to do in your city. I was also at the Seattle game in 2004 and would anticipate a different scene when I go next year. Back in '04, every fan we met, to a man, was like, "you guys are crazy, we don't really take the Seahawks that seriously, this is a Mariners town first." I would agree with the posters who said that there is probably a pretty big bandwagon factor when it comes to their fanbase.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Green Bay and Kansas City are unbelievable. Both better than Buffalo. Every other stadium I have been to- Denver, Miami, Seattle and San Diego- are not nearly as intense as a game in GB, KC or Buff. HUGE drop off. Then again, there seems to be an inverse correlation with intense fanbases/tailgating and how much there is to do in your city. I was also at the Seattle game in 2004 and would anticipate a different scene when I go next year. Back in '04, every fan we met, to a man, was like, "you guys are crazy, we don't really take the Seahawks that seriously, this is a Mariners town first." I would agree with the posters who said that there is probably a pretty big bandwagon factor when it comes to their fanbase.

I would notch Buffalo right above KC. GB is tops in my book. I have been to all three many, many times.

Couple years ago this girl wanted a kiko alonso jersey so bad she traded me for a certain favor that is nsfw. Then this past weekend I'm out in the parking lot she wants a robert woods jersey...so she got the wood! Bills games are the best!

So that's you huh? http://deadspin.com/report-from-buffalo-kiko-alonso-jersey-traded-for-blow-1459749225

I would notch Buffalo right above KC. GB is tops in my book. I have been to all three many, many times.

We can agree to disagree. Green Bay is a family atmosphere. It's rated PG. You could absolutely bring your young children to any tailgate and into the game, no problem. Buffalo has that Oakland/Philly riff raff element. It is rated R. If you follow deadspin, you might even argue that it is rated NC-17. Kansas City, at least I find, is directly in between Green Bay and Buffalo. It's got more of an adult edge than Green Bay but by and large, you don't have to deal with the absolute trash that comprises a good 10% of fans at Bills games (I'm sure we have all seen early 20's guy with no formal education, chinstrap beard, wearing old McGahee s****y era jersey that he has taped over the "Gahee" and replaced with "Drunk," funneling beers, puking and hurling homophobic slurs at fans of opposing teams). Kansas City is rated PG-13. It's a perfect mix. All three offer passionate, semi-knowledgeable fans, excess alcohol intake and professional grilling. But I'm sorry, I am as big a Bills fan as anyone but if you were a fan of an opposing team and wore an opposing team's jersey walking through the main lot at 12:30 PM on the way into the game, you would probably dock Bills fans a few points. Conversely, I have worn Bills jerseys to Chiefs games multiple times and you don't really endure more than good-natured ribbing. I will conclude my rant by saying that per capita, as a lot, ex-pat Bills fans living in other cities represent the Bills as well as any team in the NFL and certainly better than the 70,000 people who actually attend games on Sunday. Again, general rule.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I've been lucky enough to get to about half the stadiums in the League as the son half of father and son trips over the last 15 years.

Favorites

Green Bay

Pittsburgh

KC

Oakland--friendly and knowledgeable old school fans

Middle of the road

Chicago

New Orleans

Denver

Dallas (mainly based on size alone)

Carolina

Bottom

NYJ/G

Houston

San Fran (candlestick)

Philly (the Vet about 20 years ago)

Jacksonville

All rated purely on normal stadium game day. Had a great time at some of my least faves by visiting good friends there, the company elevating the experience, so to speak.

Looking forward to trying to see the rest.

Been to New England, Cleveland, New Orleans, and Miami. New Orleans without question was the best all around. Stay downtown, play downtown, game downtown. We didn't tailgate as much, they have this huge area at the stadium to party and we hit a bar or two on the way in for bloody mary's to deal with the night before's after effects! Cleveland was second, again it's all downtown. New England was very good. Fans were super cool, guys next to use had a huge spread, invited us over for drinks and food. Like Orchard Park, it's way away from downtown and we drove there, kind of a mess. And Miami, well the entire think was bad. The stadium location sucked, the stadium itself really sucked, the lot we were in was lame and the one we walked through to the game wasn't much better. The only reason to ever go back was we stayed on the beach and had a blast there and on the intercoastal. But the gameday experience sucks there IMO.

I like destinations with more to offer than football, or in the case of Cleveland, a short drive!. I wouldn't, for example, waste a trip to Charlotte or Jacksonville for a game. I like cities with something more to offer than sprawling suburbs and the monotony of newness.

Edited by zonabb

Worst place to see a game: San Diego by far. I lived in San Diego for 25 years and went to every Bills game during that time (also a few Raider games). I was lucky to make it out of the parking lot without being assaulted on more than one occasion. Even minding my own business with the family and kids had some guy threatening me in the parking lot after the game walking to the car. Mind you the Bills lost every single one of those games. The vacation aspect of the trip would be fantastic.. the game experience definitely not.

Had a great time in Oakland last year except for the loss.

Arizona was pretty cool a few years ago.. and the amount of Bills fans was impressive (another loss).

One day I'll hopefully go to a game the Bills win. It's been 30+ years since I've seen the Bills win a game (but that was in Buffalo).

Worst place to see a game: San Diego by far. I lived in San Diego for 25 years and went to every Bills game during that time (also a few Raider games). I was lucky to make it out of the parking lot without being assaulted on more than one occasion. Even minding my own business with the family and kids had some guy threatening me in the parking lot after the game walking to the car. Mind you the Bills lost every single one of those games. The vacation aspect of the trip would be fantastic.. the game experience definitely not.

Had a great time in Oakland last year except for the loss.

Arizona was pretty cool a few years ago.. and the amount of Bills fans was impressive (another loss).

One day I'll hopefully go to a game the Bills win. It's been 30+ years since I've seen the Bills win a game (but that was in Buffalo).

I know what you mean--my last Bills victory was the Carolina game 6 or 7 years ago! I'm starting to think the Bills will pay me to stay home.....

We can agree to disagree. Green Bay is a family atmosphere. It's rated PG. You could absolutely bring your young children to any tailgate and into the game, no problem. Buffalo has that Oakland/Philly riff raff element. It is rated R. If you follow deadspin, you might even argue that it is rated NC-17. Kansas City, at least I find, is directly in between Green Bay and Buffalo. It's got more of an adult edge than Green Bay but by and large, you don't have to deal with the absolute trash that comprises a good 10% of fans at Bills games (I'm sure we have all seen early 20's guy with no formal education, chinstrap beard, wearing old McGahee s****y era jersey that he has taped over the "Gahee" and replaced with "Drunk," funneling beers, puking and hurling homophobic slurs at fans of opposing teams). Kansas City is rated PG-13. It's a perfect mix. All three offer passionate, semi-knowledgeable fans, excess alcohol intake and professional grilling. But I'm sorry, I am as big a Bills fan as anyone but if you were a fan of an opposing team and wore an opposing team's jersey walking through the main lot at 12:30 PM on the way into the game, you would probably dock Bills fans a few points. Conversely, I have worn Bills jerseys to Chiefs games multiple times and you don't really endure more than good-natured ribbing. I will conclude my rant by saying that per capita, as a lot, ex-pat Bills fans living in other cities represent the Bills as well as any team in the NFL and certainly better than the 70,000 people who actually attend games on Sunday. Again, general rule.

You make excellent points and considering I have never been to Buffalo as an opposing fan you are probably spot on.

Went to Cleveland Thursday night game 2 years ago. Yeah the Browns suck and their fans know it. That's the best part. They cheer when they win and when they lose they just have fun with it. After the game Both teams were 2-2 and Cleveland had won. An older man turned to me and said "doesn't matter, we both suck." Made the loss feel a little better knowing we have allies of sucktitude in this league

Edited by Bills!Win!