The chemistry on deep balls to Sammy... A huge development

YoloinOhio

Again I blame Roman 60%..... This is why Whaley is upset. When you watch a pass play and TT doesn't notice at the line that Watkins is in a favorable matchup and all you ever call is Watkins up the sideline it is ridiculous. As said very few slants, over the middle or crossing patterns.

KC is the perfect example. Torches them the first half (and again 0 YAC and all passes were at or near the sideline) and the then the second half they didn't change a thing and didn't even look his way.....

As for the 2-minute and hurry-up ask Roman why it stinks and how they are clueless..... If it is TT, then yes it's a problem. The NE game they moved the ball 33 yards in 2 minutes!!!!! Vs. Philly they started with a handoff, stood around the line wasting 20 seconds, took a penalty and then looked anywhere but to Watkins......

these are some of the things I have noted. Beyond whatever play Roman dials up, you can't blame the OC for the Offense standing there mulling around for 15-20 seconds. It is as if they don't have a 2 minute package in the playbook.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, I am not a big fan of Roman. Some of the play calling is been bad.

Excuse me if my opinion on Taylor is not as high as yours is. I like TT, but he's not shown me that he is the guy.

I've stated what I see as his biggest weaknesses over the 12 games - not scanning the entire field, not throwing a pass away when there is no lane to run and taking a sack, throwing the ball when there was a clear lane for him to get a 1st down, not throwing a pass quickly to where the routes will go, meaning he doesn't anticipate like the great ones do. He takes no risks and w/o some risks there can be no reward, and lastly he has not shown me that he is a good 2 minute drill QB.

I'm not a professional so if I am wrong my bad, but what if I am not wrong - it is only criticism not ridicule.

No reason for me not to respect your critique : )

In general i agree with you assessment of Tyrod. But i have seen increments of development in each of these noted area of weakness.

I hope no one thinks i am defending anyone too strongly, as i am just not convinced that much of the arguing/discussion here is cut and dry!

and i am certainly not calling anyone out as being wrong

:P

Again the problem is hat we can't be sure about Tyrod yet and how he was coached, his reads and what he is being told. The first 6 games he barely looked @ Watkins. The formations and play calling the second half seems to be the same almost every game. The long ball where Watkins outruns the defense. How many easy catches has he had? You know the crossing pattern in front of TT running clear, the simple 12 yard curl, a slant, an out...... Watch Odell, Julio, Antonio and the # of catches they get in space.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYards/year/2015/seasontype/2

As always look at YAC and the big 3 all have approximately 30%+ of their yardage after the catch and Watkins only 13% (actually surprised it is that much as I can't remember any over 5 yards). Surprised that Hopkins hasn't many YAC either.

You are speaking entirely to the design of the offense here. That's not on Sammy Watkins. He can run every route on the tree equally well (not many receivers can, actually) and he knows how to exploit coverages.

GO BILLS!!!

Again the problem is hat we can't be sure about Tyrod yet and how he was coached, his reads and what he is being told. The first 6 games he barely looked @ Watkins. The formations and play calling the second half seems to be the same almost every game. The long ball where Watkins outruns the defense. How many easy catches has he had? You know the crossing pattern in front of TT running clear, the simple 12 yard curl, a slant, an out...... Watch Odell, Julio, Antonio and the # of catches they get in space.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYards/year/2015/seasontype/2

As always look at YAC and the big 3 all have approximately 30%+ of their yardage after the catch and Watkins only 13% (actually surprised it is that much as I can't remember any over 5 yards). Surprised that Hopkins hasn't many YAC either.

good post.

But Roman eventually must open up the routes and target those routes.

I think the sampling need to be split between first half of the season and second half as Watkins was nearly an afterthought early on.

The most troubling thing, as noted, is why go away from Watkins when he is having success?

Because Hogan has single coverage and no safety over him? Hows that working out ?

You are speaking entirely to the design of the offense here. That's not on Sammy Watkins. He can run every route on the tree equally well (not many receivers can, actually) and he knows how to exploit coverages.

GO BILLS!!!

I think he is still too young to say he can run the route tree efficiently in the NFL.

I think he could !

I think he is still too young to say he can run the route tree efficiently in the NFL.

I think he could !

Trust me on this, he blew away the scouting community with his ability to run every route. It's why I was advised to queue up a highlight reel and only look at his feet. These scouts kept raving about his feet! I never heard that before. He is fanatical in his preparation, too. So no, I don't think I'm jumping the gun at all when I proclaim he can run every route equally well, even at 22.

That's not to say he can't or won't get any better as he learns the DBs he faces week to week.

GO BILLS!!!

Trust me on this, he blew away the scouting community with his ability to run every route. It's why I was advised to queue up a highlight reel and only look at his feet. These scouts kept raving about his feet! I never heard that before. He is fanatical in his preparation, too. So no, I don't think I'm jumping the gun at all when I proclaim he can run every route equally well, even at 22.

That's not to say he can't or won't get any better as he learns the DBs he faces week to week.

GO BILLS!!!

My reasoning is what he was asked to do in college.

That is why i added " i think he can".

My positive opinion has grown this season in regard to Watkins. He is just getting warmed up!!

PS. i did catch some commentary recently about his footwork is really amazing.

Dont worry K-9. I am a fan of the kid. Nice of he and TT getting it rolling finally with the trust factor and some nice timing.

Tell Tyrod throw it as far as you can? Sammy you gotta be a little faster than that! he overthrew a TD on you Kid!!

Love it!

My reasoning is what he was asked to do in college.

That is why i added " i think he can".

My positive opinion has grown this season in regard to Watkins. He is just getting warmed up!!

I understand. The scouts' reasoning was based on what he did in college and, just as importantly, what he did for them in his workouts. College offered him interesting opportunities to learn and run a myriad of routes, too. It's been well documented how in Watkins' first year, DBs played him tight and he burnt them long; second year, one marred by injury, they gave him cushions and Watkins toasted them on slants and bubbles. Third year, it was pick your poison and I give Swinney a lot of credit for his designs in order to maximize Sammy's talent.

Of course, Sammy isn't facing college DBs, but he was well prepared entering the league.

GO BILLS!!!

I understand. The scouts' reasoning was based on what he did in college and, just as importantly, what he did for them in his workouts. College offered him interesting opportunities to learn and run a myriad of routes, too. It's been well documented how in Watkins' first year, DBs played him tight and he burnt them long; second year, one marred by injury, they gave him cushions and Watkins toasted them on slants and bubbles. Third year, it was pick your poison and I give Swinney a lot of credit for his designs in order to maximize Sammy's talent.

Of course, Sammy isn't facing college DBs, but he was well prepared entering the league.

GO BILLS!!!

That's a fine bit of enlightenment my friend!

I based my opinion off of limited knowledge about his college days , am pleased to stand corrected : )

C'mon how hard is it to run a slant or a quick curl or a patter inside the lines vs. outside and toward the sideline? The playcalls are vanilla (to the naked eye).

Depends entirely on what defense is being played and what technique a CB is playing and where the safety and LBs are. Try running a slant vs. a CB playing inside leverage with a safety shading to that hash, for instance.

GO BILLS!!!

C'mon how hard is it to run a slant or a quick curl or a patter inside the lines vs. outside and toward the sideline? The playcalls are vanilla (to the naked eye).

well i cant do it !

you will never see me coming near a crashing safety. or LB in zone waiting for me. f that!