FILM REVIEW-WK 11- CHIEFS- HENDERSON STUGGLES

Bocephuz

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did /
How the QB did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. there also may be a few extra pass attempts that were cancelled due to penalites..but this should be 95% accurate)

DISCLAIMER ( I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

I also apologize for not posting this analysis for the Patriots game Thanksgiving week.. I was traveling..
_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS: 41 snaps ( a lot of throws for this team..the results weren’t bad and I think they purposely threw a lot as part of the game plan as opposed to past games where they threw out of desperation. Still.. If this Bills team has to throw more than 30 times per game .. recent history shows the result will be a L)

LINE BREAKDOWNS: 6/41 snaps ( 15%) – right about average for the year..

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION: 35/41 snaps

UNFORCED QB ERRORS: - 8/41 snaps ( 20%)

Bottom Line:

PASS PROTECT WAS GENERALLY SUFFICIENT
– The o line gave TT time for the most part today.. evidenced by the amount of deep balls thrown and limited sacks. TT escaped a few unblocked guys and bailed the line out a few times. The Chiefs mixed it up with 4 man rushes and some blitzes and the O Line generally held up.

HENDERSON WEAK POINT AGAIN – Henderson was the only O lineman who stuck out to me .. and not in a good way. He was beaten in several ways today. Bullrush..driven back into the Qb’s face in Q1. Holding – Q2, Speed Moves – Hali beat him twice.. Beating him to the outside in Q2 allowing a hit on TT.. and then destroying #66 in Q3 causing a TT fumble. He has been consistently poor in pass protection all year.. it’s a shame Kouandjio’s knee seems to be keeping him out.

INCOGNITO RALLIES- Perhaps it was his shoulder, or maybe he just had a rough patch.. but Incognito’s play in the Jets game and the game before that was below his usual standard. He looked very solid against the Pats last week and again this week against the Chiefs in pass protect.

URBIK – Urbik had another very solid week in pass protection… he has clearly been an upgrade over Miller in that category.

MCCOY SHINES AGAIN- LeSean McCoy continues to demonstrate that he’s more than just a shifty ball carrying diva.. his willingness to give up his body and his smarts in identifying and picking up blitzers has been consistently solid. A great example is his giving up his body and picking up the outside blitz in Q1 .. allowing TT to make a completion to Hogan.

TYROD TAKING CHANCES – It was obvious that Tyrod took many more chances with the ball today than in past performances. He tried to fit balls into double coverage multiple times with varying levels of success. His aggressive approach led to a few more unforced errors than usual but that seems to be the price to pay for hitting on the big plays (which he did in spades in the first half). One thing that stuck out to me were the number of back shoulder throws he attempted in this game. Looks like he and Sammy had been working on that in practice. He also tried one to Clay. Some of those back shoulder throws were on.. some of them were off. If he can continue to work on that throw and get some consistency with it then hopefully his confidence to throw into tight coverage and take chances will grow. Also.. there were multiple instances of him staying in the pocket.. taking a hit and delivering the ball. On the downside .. he very easily could have had 2 interceptions.. one on the carelessly thrown screen pass to McCoy in Q4 and another earlier in the game Q2 where he threw a deep ball to Sammy too short and too inside and the DB had his hands on it but dropped it. TT also had another frustrating delay of game penalty.. it seems like this has happened in almost every game.

PLAYS OF NOTE

Q1 – 13:39 – Bomb to Sammy – great protection
Q1-12:08 - # 50 doesn’t bite on misdirection play – TT shows athleticism and avoids sack nevertheless
Q1-12:02 – UNFORCED ERROR – back shoulder throw to Clay in endzone underthrown
Q1-8:50 – Deep throw to Watkins on target – safety breaks it up
Q1-8:05- Great blitz pickup by Shady – allows completion to Hogan
Q1-5:19- UNFORCED ERROR – short hops hitch throw to Woods
Q1-4:33- Clay beaten.. Henderson driven back into TT’s face.. TT still makes completion to Sammy and takes a hit
Q1-4:08- False Start – Clay
Q1-1:46- UNFORCED ERROR – TT has Clay open down the sideline – throw is off target too far out of bounds
Q1-1:10- TD to Sammy – Glenn beaten to the inside allowing a hit on TT but he still delivers a good throw
Q2-13:35- Holding on Henderson
Q2-10:27- UNFORCED ERROR – TT throws deep left to Sammy – underthrown too far to the inside- almost picked off
Q2-3:43 – UNFORCED ERROR – TT throws out route too high to Woods
Q2-3:37- Henderson beaten to the outside allowing hit on TT just after he throws completion to Sammy
Q2-2:35- Back shoulder TD throw to Sammy
Q2-1:42- Woods drops hitch route
Q3-10:01- another Woods drop
Q3-9:50- Fumble - #91 destroys Henderson and hits TT from the blindside causing fumble
Q3-6:55- UNFORCED ERROR – TT throws high on Sammy in route
Q3-3:56- UNFORCED ERROR – Delay of game on TT
Q4-10:18- UNFORCED ERROR – throw behind Hogan on crossing route
Q4-10:13 – UNFORCED ERROR – carelessly thrown screen pass to McCoy almost picked off
Q4-2:39 – SCREWED BY REFS – TT makes completion for 1st down to Hogan and the ref makes an unthinkable.. unexplainable call to ruin game

SUMMARY – On one hand it was good to see the Bills come into this game with an aggressive passing game plan. On the other hand it was very much out of character. Granted- with a banged up defense and facing one of the better run defenses I can see why they chose this strategy. However.. they are built to play complimentary football.. solid D, good run game and take advantage of play action to make teams pay for selling out on the run. That really didn’t happen at all this game as evidenced by the 41 pass snaps. Good news is that the O line ( except Henderson.. ) held up very well in pass protect and this may have been a glimpse of where the offense can evolve to eventually. Bad news is they lost the game. Perhaps a little more run and ball control in 2nd half would've kept the Chiefs Offense off the field ( and our beat up defense) and the outcome would have been different. Or.. perhaps if the refs didn't screw us at the end of the game TT would have led an epic comeback.

O Line Pass block grades

GLENN B-
INCOGNITO B+
WOOD B+
URBIK - B
HENDERSON – C-

Edited by Bocephuz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And CK has been passed by a OL brought in......

RT is a flaming tire fire

Yes... as we are not going to have a lot of money to spend in FA next year.. I'm thinking we need to seriously look for a starting RT in rounds 1-3 in the '16 draft.

No mention of the Bills final offensive play where Tyrod abandons the pocket after failing to get through progressions, and fumbles twice, the final fumble being out of bounds to turn the ball over on downs?

The game ended for me on the bad call on Hogan... anything after that was irrelevant to me. If the refs don't make that egregious call on the Hogan catch there is no 4th and long play at the end of the game.

Edited by Bocephuz

The game ended for me on the bad call on Hogan... anything after that was irrelevant to me. If the refs don't make that egregious call on the Hogan catch there is no 4th and long play at the end of the game.

So, you're placing an arbitrary end to the game before the game actually ends?

After saying this: "How the QB did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. there also may be a few extra pass attempts that were cancelled due to penalites..but this should be 95% accurate)" ????

And I assume, had Tyrod not mangled that play, but rather had thrown for a touch down, you'd have highlighted the great play.

C'mon, man... that's awful.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

After saying this: "How the QB did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. there also may be a few extra pass attempts that were cancelled due to penalites..but this should be 95% accurate)" ????

And I assume, had Tyrod not mangled that play, but rather had thrown for a touch down, you'd have highlighted the great play.

Feel free to skip these posts in the future if you don't find them valid or useful

Edited by Bocephuz

Much in the same way that EVERY conversation migrates to Tyrod Taylor for you?

Come on man

I just wish TT would look at Clay in the middle of the field more. I like that he found Hogan there occasionally. Could they use Sammy on something besides go routes? He seems to run a ton of them. The O Line, if Incognito and Glenn leave, will be a disaster. The right side, while not quite a disaster, are substandard already.

Much in the same way that EVERY conversation migrates to Tyrod Taylor for you?

Come on man

I'm balanced on Tyrod, and you'll find very few posters who disagree with my assessment of his abilities and weaknesses. I simply point out his flaws and limitations.

I've never once been dishonest in any assessment of him.

And I've certainly never started an entire weekly thread series claiming to assess "every throw of the game", including this gem:

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did /

How the QB did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. there also may be a few extra pass attempts that were cancelled due to penalites..but this should be 95% accurate)

I'm balanced on Tyrod, and you'll find very few posters who disagree with my assessment of his abilities and weaknesses. I simply point out his flaws and limitations.

I've never once been dishonest in any assessment of him.

And I've certainly never started an entire weekly thread series claiming to assess "every throw of the game", including this gem:

That's quite the take down of a poster who provides interesting observations on his own time, just because it disagrees with your crusade.

for sure. and two linebackers

Yes.. I don't think they'll pay Bradham so need to replace him and also get rush OLB

What about LT? Oh and LG?[/quote

I'm hoping we pay both Glenn and Incognito.. Shudder to think if we lose either

That's quite the take down of a poster who provides interesting observations on his own time, just because it disagrees with your crusade.

I've noticed that when people throw around the term "crusade" here, it's usually because they don't have a very strong counter claim, or simply don't want to deal with anything that doesn't align with their own preferred narrative; and are instead asking their big brother to come help them.

I'm going to go ahead and toss you into that pile.

I take issue with people who either lie or misrepresent themselves to further a point.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I've noticed that when people throw around the term "crusade" here, it's usually because they don't have a very strong counter claim, or simply don't want to deal with anything that doesn't align with their own preferred narrative; and are instead asking their big brother to come help them.

I'm going to go ahead and toss you into that pile.

I take issue with people who either lie or misrepresent themselves to further a point.

The analysis and the plays are clearly spelled out. If it makes you feel better, you can add the last three passing plays. It should be a good exercise in misrepresentation to prove a point.

The analysis and the plays are clearly spelled out. If it makes you feel better, you can add the last three passing plays. It should be a good exercise in misrepresentation to prove a point.

Misrepresentation to prove a point would be creating a weekly thread outlining "every passing play" in order to assess the play of Tyrod Taylor, and then intentionally dropping three of his worst plays, including a play in which he fumbled twice, turning the ball over on downs, from the assessment.