WR Screen PLEASE!!!

qblax16

I work/live in NC, and have 5 co-workers that are Clemson Alum, so I saw a lot more of Sammy in his college days, and all I can say is CAN WE PLEASE THROW SOME WR SCREENS TO SAMMY?!?!

Here is a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlnGW5gWTa8

If they are taking him away as KC did in the second half, lets draw up 2 WR screens in the second half that allow the man to at least touch the ball again. Even when you get a perfect jump on the play it is still a safe play (Robey)

You must have missed the thread talking about how the Chiefs defended Watkins in the 2nd half of Sunday's game. They aggressively bumped him off the line and kept a safety deep over him. You don't throw WR screens with a CB playing on the line. In college he had a lot of very soft coverage, which is perfect for that play. In the first half he clearly didn't need that play to be effective .

Edited by BarleyNY

I think a little too much is made of how most of his catches were made within x number of yards in college, so we should be recreating that here. The main reason why Clemson ran that offense was because their QB Taj Boyd was terrible, so they got Sammy the ball as soon as possible, because Boyd was unable to hit him and Bryant downfield as reliably. Our QBs my not be elite, but they are worlds better than Boyd, so we can utilize Sammy's deep speed, and route running, instead of just dumping off to him for 6 yard gains. You get guys like David Nelson for those short 0-10 yd. WR screens, you utilize Sammy in the 5-30+ yd. downfield passing game. With that said, we clearly have not been getting him the ball enough... But we have been improving.

Just because it might not have worked in the second half doesn't mean the OP is wrong. I believe the play below is from the first half.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CVJfp7DWcAAyyd3.mp4

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to embed this, so you'll have to follow the link.

Anyway, it's Woods and Sammy stacked, the CB's are 8 yards off the LOS. A quick throw to Sammy is sure to net no less than 4 yards, but easily could go for more. Instead it's some quick slant to Woods where Sammy is supposed to block (Why do they insist on having Sammy block for for other WR's???), but Tyrod throws it into the ground.

Edited by elroy16

You must have missed the thread talking about how the Chiefs defended Watkins in the 2nd half of Sunday's game. They aggressively bumped him off the line and kept a safety deep over him. You don't throw WR screens with a CB playing on the line. In college he had a lot of very soft coverage, which is perfect for that play. In the first half he clearly didn't need that play to be effective .

This, plus it is easier to run WR screens in college due the to hash marks being wider.

This, plus it is easier to run WR screens in college due the to hash marks being wider.

True. Plus there are different rules in college:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=davie&page=davie10104week5

"The reason screens are so successful in college football is that offenses take advantage of a very important NCAA rule. In college football, offensive players are allowed to block downfield while the ball is in the air if the ball is caught behind the line of scrimmage.

This is a major advantage to the offense because offensive players can actually pick defenders while the ball is in the air. Whether the defense is in zone or man-to-man coverage, this puts them at a tremendous disadvantage. (In the NFL, you are not allowed to block downfield while the ball is in the air regardless of where it is caught.)"

I can't believe that a few people on this post have come up with elaborate excuses not to at least try a screen. Don't over think it like Roman. Even if blocking is poor, Sammy was special with the ball in his hands at Clemson. Give a shot. It's better than zero second half targets. Also the Pats* do play by the college rules and block down field.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5