Robey Called for PI by the Same Crew as in London

26CornerBlitz

I blame the Seahawks. You will recall that a couple seasons ago they had a strategy to have their DBs hold receivers on every pass play with the idea being that there was no way the refs would call defensive holding on every pass play. And it worked. The league made it a point to warn teams that referees were being instructed to call more defensive holding penalties heading into 2014.

GO BILLS!!!

Whoever the culprit is, the out-of-control flagging of coverage guys has made for a far more tedious game.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I blame the Seahawks. You will recall that a couple seasons ago they had a strategy to have their DBs hold receivers on every pass play with the idea being that there was no way the refs would call defensive holding on every pass play. And it worked. The league made it a point to warn teams that referees were being instructed to call more defensive holding penalties heading into 2014.

GO BILLS!!!

Then how about flagging the offending team instead of the entire league. It would have been very simple to enforce the rules on Seahawks and send the entire league a message that if you try to skirt the rules, we will punish you.

Whoever the culprit is, the out-of-control flagging of coverage guys has made for a far more tedious game.

Yep.

Then how about flagging the offending team instead of the entire league. It would have been very simple to enforce the rules on Seahawks and send the entire league a message that if you try to skirt the rules, we will punish you.

And yep.

Although I suspect the Seahawks weren't the only team to dare refs to call it all the time. Just the most visible and notorious.

GO BILLS!!!

Yep.

And yep.

Although I suspect the Seahawks weren't the only team to dare refs to call it all the time. Just the most visible and notorious.

GO BILLS!!!

The trend on clamping down on DBs started when the Colts played the Pats in a playoff game. The Pats consistently mugged their receivers before the ball was thrown. They got away with it. The Colts understandably complained about that playoff game. Entering the next season the refs were instructed to make it an emphasis not to allow the DBs to "touch" the receivers.

As you noted the Seahawks more than any other team were willing to test the boundaries of the interference rules. The restrictions placed on the DBs in their coverage of the receivers has not only handicapped the defense but has damaged the flow of the game.

The trend on clamping down on DBs started when the Colts played the Pats in a playoff game. The Pats consistently mugged their receivers before the ball was thrown. They got away with it. The Colts understandably complained about that playoff game. Entering the next season the refs were instructed to make it an emphasis not to allow the DBs to "touch" the receivers.

As you noted the Seahawks more than any other team were willing to test the boundaries of the interference rules. The restrictions placed on the DBs in their coverage of the receivers has not only handicapped the defense but has damaged the flow of the game.

That game started it, but it was really ratcheted up a couple of years ago. This time, the purpose wasn't to thwart Belichick's exploitation of the rules, but to goose the passing game. The first clampdown was OK; the second one wasn't (in my opinion).

That game started it, but it was really ratcheted up a couple of years ago. This time, the purpose wasn't to thwart Belichick's exploitation of the rules, but to goose the passing game. The first clampdown was OK; the second one wasn't (in my opinion).

I agree with your comments. The influence of fantasy football and the accumulation of stats may indirectly have contributed to the scales tipping toward the offense.

When training officials and directing them towards things to call and not to call it is difficult to teach and instill the concept of good judgment. As it stands because of the excessive amount of penalties and reviews there is little flow to the game and consequently it is less enjoyable to watch.