Throwing to Sammy=good things. Do it more Roman!

TheFunPolice

Roman explains Watkins target frequency
By now most Bills fans are all too familiar with how last week’s game played out for Sammy Watkins. A dominant first half followed by a quiet second half. Watkins had just one target in the second half of the loss to the Chiefs, but offensive coordinator Greg Roman explained that just because only one pass came his way does not mean that plays were not drawn up throughout the second half with him as the primary read.

Greg Roman: "He forces you to change things up" (9:20)

Bills offensive coordinator Greg Roman talks about controlling Texans defensive end J.J. Watt, spreading the ball around on offense, and the injury situation along the offensive line.

did you not see the 2 TDs he caught with 2 guys on him for both ?

That seemed a legitimate point so I rewatched the KC highlights. There wasn't dedicated double coverage on Watkins on a single one of his big plays. The safety was in zone on all of them and was late on help on all but the catch with 3:30 left in the half when he was shielded by the KC CB. Watkins' speed is sure a factor in that coverage being late and he made some very, very nice plays. But once the safety was rolled to his side - and thus in position on time - Watkins was taken out of the game.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000590657/Bills-vs-Chiefs-highlights

Edited by BarleyNY

That seemed a legitimate point so I rewatched the KC highlights. There wasn't dedicated double coverage on Watkins on a single one of his big plays. The safety was in zone on all of them and was late on help on all but the catch with 3:30 left in the half when he was shielded by the KC CB. Watkins' speed is sure a factor in that coverage being late and he made some very, very nice plays. But once the safety was rolled to his side - and thus in position on time - Watkins was taken out of the game.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000590657/Bills-vs-Chiefs-highlights

There was still Clay to utilize beyond Hogan and Woods

There was still Clay to utilize beyond Hogan and Woods

You'd think that the focus on Watkins would have helped the rest of the receiving corps. When Watkins has two on him, then other players - especially highly paid players like Clay - need to make plays. 5 for 31 isn't getting it done. Neither is Hogan's 3 for 34. Those were the two most productive ball catchers after Watkins. That was frustrating.

I looked at it again too. At first I thought it was a lack of looking for Watkins in the second half, but it isn't that, especially in the 3rd quarter you can see he is staring Watkins down and sometimes Watkins wasn't open, but there were also some plays where Sammy beats one guy, and just has to worry about the safety, but Taylor goes to another read where Roethelisberger or Romo would've thrown it up there and let Antonio or Dez beat the double coverage.

Edited by What a Tuel