The insane level of game awareness the Pats have

PromoTheRobot

I was at the game and it finally struck me that what makes the Pats so good is their incredible awareness of what is happening every second of the game. Belichick (and Ernie Adams) realize that most officiating crews are a bunch of imbeciles so they so pull crap like illegal substitutions because they know they will get away with it most of the time. They also instantly go into a hurry up offense when they see the opposing defense dithering. The Bills looked like the Keystone Cops half the time and even though we were able to knock Brady off his game, Belichick, the Zen Master, always seems to know what is going on and what will happen.

I was at the game and it finally struck me that what makes the Pats so good is their incredible awareness of what is happening every second of the game. Belichick (and Ernie Adams) realize that most officiating crews are a bunch of imbeciles so they so pull crap like illegal substitutions because they know they will get away with it most of the time. They also instantly go into a hurry up offense when they see the opposing defense dithering. The Bills looked like the Keystone Cops half the time and even though we were able to knock Brady off his game, Belichick, the Zen Master, always seems to know what is going on and what will happen.

They probably have analytics indicating what habits each ref has.

Part of it is clearly coaching. But the other part seems to be intelligence. I've railed against stupidity endlessly and this team always seems to have a crop of players who lack both intellectual intelligence and emotional intelligence. Lacking those things limits the potential of players with athletic ability. Look at McKelvin, who I can't stand. Athletically, he's got it. Intellectually, not so much. Guy gets burned a ton not looking back to the QB yet he still hasn't learned. Personal fouls, blocks in the back, these are intelligence plays. Personal fouls, like the out of bounds hits on a QB, are emotional intelligence, letting the game get the better of you. The Pats seem to have a stable of high intelligence guys. Guys who buy in and can master the game and the game plan. I've watched this team a lot because the Bills play them twice and because they're always on. They continue to amaze with smart plays and smart football. There is the dinosaur mentality still pervasive in the NFL, that pure athletic skill and brawn matter more than brains. When guys like Barkevious Mingo, Erik Flowers and Aaron Maybin keep getting drafted in the first round based purely on combine numbers and physique it says something about what teams overstate.

I like the cerebral nature of the game and no one does it better than the Patriots.

Yeah after that one long pass play in particular where they caught the Bills wayyyyyyyy offsides. They waited until the Pats player stepped out of bounds before snapping it. Either incredibly aware or incredibly lucky. Knowing Brady, I'm going with aware.

That was in clear violation of the rules. Because the defense is allowed to substitute if you substitute, you cannot run a player onto the field like Chandler and then have him turn and run off the field. A Ref explained that. The officials should have held the ball and let the Bills get onside and ready.

Ha! Like Dareus did? Pretty smart, really. But he has to learn not to look so perky when he gets up.

I think he had a cramp on that. It looked real initially.

This is what they did with the eligible receivers thing against the Ravens. They fooled the Ravens and the refs. Fooling the Ravens is fine, but when they purposely confuse the refs it is ridiculous.