Contract question

LabattBlue

Can a player be asked to restructure a contract without the contract being lengthened. Example.....Can the Bills ask DB to basically take a paycut over the last two years of the contract instead of saying we're going to extend this by a year and spread it out.

I know someone posted recently that in some scenarios you can't ask a player to just take a pay cut without doing a restructure.

there are certain minimums the contract must meet based upon a player's tenure, but there's no "legal" reason why a player couldn't just take a pay cut. the problem, as you might imagine, is that the player's association strongly frowns upon such a thing, even if the player himself wants to do it for the good of the team.

I'm not sure.  Maybe it's something in the CBA.

240465[/snapback]

Yes, I see. You can be a "free agent" to ply for your best intrests, but because you are part of a bargainint unit, you might be a slave who is subservient to the master contract.

Interesting point you raise.

Gosh, I'd hate to be a muilti-million dollar slave working part-time 8 months a year, though... who WILL polish and wax my Rolls-Royce? :lol::devil::P:D

Like what eball said, IIRC, there's a limit as to how much a player can have his salary just outright reduced (at least for salary purposes). Again, IIRC, it's only something like 25%.

So for instance in Moulds' case, his $6m salary or whatever, could only be reduced to say $4.5m yielding only a $1.5m savings this year.

Like what eball said, IIRC, there's a limit as to how much a player can have his salary just outright reduced  (at least for salary purposes).  Again, IIRC, it's only something like 25%.

So for instance in Moulds' case, his $6m salary or whatever, could only be reduced to say $4.5m yielding only a $1.5m savings this year.

240475[/snapback]

Maybe this is what I was thinking of. I'm confused... :devil::D

a contract can be renegotiated without extending the length, but a player most likely won't take a salary cut without something in return (bonus $, which the team will want more years to offset cap hit) nor will a team just offer up extra money without something in return (more seasons to spread out cap hit)

not sure, but i think contracts can even be shortened. tho that has no real benefit to the team as it would accelerate cap hit of bonus money

I believe that if you want a player to take a straight out paycut, say from a contract that is 2 years 10 mil to 2 years 6 mil, you would have to waive the player then re-sign then...but before you get the chance, that player would hafta clear waivers...