In hindsight, was Kiko Alonso more useful that we thought?

FireChan

The defense is missing the big playmaking linebackers and safeties this year -- think Byrd, Kiko, even Searcy. Aaron Williams looked like he could be that guy before he got hurt, but I'm really not expecting him back this year. Kiko had a fantastic rookie year -- one of the most entertaining (and effective) defensive players we've had in years. Shame about the knees ...

You must have forgotten watching Kiko getting blown up on run plays up the middle. IMO he's the exact comparison to Brandon Spikes but for the exact opposite skill sets.

I remember Trent Dilfer saying the reason RGIII can't survive with his style play is he's "small jointed" and that he just doesn't have the body mass to withstand getting hit. I see Kiko in the same light. His body cannot withstand the reckless abandon he's willing to put his body through.

Edited by Triple Threat

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Kiko was EXTREMELY talented......he was a very good cover linebacker and gave QBs fits

however

THere was something about his play (at MLB) that was starting to really concern me in the latter part of the season.....I mostly attibuted it to a rookie who was not used to a 16 game NFL season......starting to overpursue.....starting to not be able to get off blocks

Then the Knee injury

I would like to a have a Kiko Alonzo type linebacker on this team right now....(although I think we might have one in Randal Johnson....he is playing on special teams I hope he starts getting more playing time eventually)

John - you are onto it as everyone forgets we were run on terribly that year finishing in the late 20's in run defense. Kiko was meant to be a Wil LB and was in the Mic. Preston Brown is better suited there, and both years we are stuffing the run. Kiko was getting manhandled by Guards against the run. He was incredible against the pass and defending TE, etc.

He's an excellent player, but he has limitations like other players. I wish him well, hope he stays healthy and has great games except when they play us this year.

mccoy may be of more use to this team, but alonso was more value, for sure.

everyone here talks about how offenses win games, etc. but what kiko put on the field you hit on perfectly. he was what we wanted Bryan Scott to be years ago.

Being smart/instinctive was a requirement.

Bradham is kind of a cement head.

He really struggled in Pettine's system and is quite possibly the guy who is most confused about his assignments in this defense.

Brown is a smart player but just isn't that good laterally or dropping into coverage.

Damn, some one said you had a clue.

they might have been correct.

Brown is a thumper and should play MLB in the 43. Bradham can hit but is a stoner.

Lawson is on the decline. Love the man but.. and we DO NOT have his replacement on the staff.

Our LBs are the weakness and someone is trying to figure that out. ( Thurman/ryan )

please go back to the 4-3 under base. Brown is the best LB we have by far. and he cant get lateral like Alonso could. Play him to his strength, like Spikes a bit

Kiko basically hasn't played since his rookie season, missing all of last season and most of this season so far, but you would still rather have him? And he wasn't very good most of his rookie season, people still ignore how poorly he played after the first month of so of the season.

Even in this context I would still take Kiko vs. McCoy and his albatross of a contract.

This has been beaten to death, but he had a fantastic start to his rookie year, was pretty much average at best from game 5 and beyond. Was a big reason teams ran for 200 yards a game against us at times. We were much better last year when he was not in the lineup.

Which is why, it woulda been such a great idea to move him to wlb and Brown to MLB in a Schwartz system.

see what i did there?

mccoy may be of more use to this team, but alonso was more value, for sure.

everyone here talks about how offenses win games, etc. but what kiko put on the field you hit on perfectly. he was what we wanted Bryan Scott to be years ago.

More value? He's played in two games since 2013... Kiko is a legend, but LBs are not as valuable as top shelf RBs.

Lawrence Taylor would disagree. So would Barry Sanders. :lol:

Yes, LT was the only player on the Giants.

And on NO planet is Kiko the same level talent of LT. He's not even in the conversation. The stance you're taking is Alonso is more valuable than a top shelf RB. That's just a bad way to build a football team, friend.

Yes, LT was the only player on the Giants.

And on NO planet is Kiko the same level talent of LT. He's not even in the conversation. The stance you're taking is Alonso is more valuable than a top shelf RB. That's just a bad way to build a football team, friend.

That's not the point I am making about Kiko. He is not a top shelf LB but I would rather still have him than a declining RB with an albatross of a contract.

That's not the point I am making about Kiko. He is not a top shelf LB but I would rather still have him than a declining RB with an albatross of a contract.

Your analysis of Shady is wrong. And his contract is rich, but not an albatross. The Bills have a lot of cap flexibility. LBs, especially injury prone tweeners, are easy to find. So are RBs. Top shelf LBs, like LT, or top shelf RBs like Shady, are not easy to find. Getting a top shelf RB for a mid-level LB with a questionable injury history, is a no brainer. Like I said before, if you want to build your team like that, you'll never build a contender. You need STARS to win in the NFL. Guys who can make plays by themselves often times that can swing games. Kiko showed flashes of that in his rookie year, no question, but he was hardly consistent. McCoy has an unquestionable resume of making game changing plays -- and he's 27. Alonso is 25.

You're also forgetting that Kiko, had he not gotten injured again, would command a new contract if he played half as well in Philly as people remember him playing in Buffalo. He won't be playing on his rookie deal forever. You have to pay the piper eventually.

Your analysis of Shady is wrong. And his contract is rich, but not an albatross. The Bills have a lot of cap flexibility. LBs, especially injury prone tweeners, are easy to find. So are RBs. Top shelf LBs, like LT, or top shelf RBs like Shady, are not easy to find. Getting a top shelf RB for a mid-level LB with a questionable injury history, is a no brainer. Like I said before, if you want to build your team like that, you'll never build a contender. You need STARS to win in the NFL. Guys who can make plays by themselves often times that can swing games. Kiko showed flashes of that in his rookie year, no question, but he was hardly consistent. McCoy has an unquestionable resume of making game changing plays -- and he's 27. Alonso is 25.

You're also forgetting that Kiko, had he not gotten injured again, would command a new contract if he played half as well in Philly as people remember him playing in Buffalo. He won't be playing on his rookie deal forever. You have to pay the piper eventually.

Over the cap has the Bills with a cap number in 2016 at $150, 000, 000.

That is cap hell.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

It is if you don't understand it. The Bills have a lot of ways to free up a lot of room, and that's not counting the yearly increase to the cap.

You are speculating that the Bills can free up A LOT of room. We really don't now that as a fact if that can get done. Right now the Bills are in cap hell in 2016 thanks to shady contracts like McCoy's.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

You are speculating that the Bills can free up A LOT of room. We really don't now that as a fact if that can get done. Right now the Bills are in cap hell in 2016 thanks to shady contracts like McCoy's.

What's your point ? You would prefer watching cierre wood and boobie dixon tear it up some more ?

Again, they're only "in cap hell" if you're looking at the numbers with an agenda. There's a lot of moves that can be made, not difficult ones either.

And, you have to pay your star players. McCoy is a star player in the NFL.

Kiko, if he had stayed healthy and played up to his capabilities, might have become a star as well and would eventually command a big deal. This is just reality.