Defense in Meaningful Games

BringBackOrton

It seems whenever we need this group to be elite, they come up flat. When the chips are down, the national media is talking about how good we are and we need a big time performance, the defense comes up small and is physically over-matched.

It happened last year against Oakland and it happened this past Sunday. I realize we played Denver and Green Bay at a very high level last year, but we were still under the radar and nobody expected us to win those games.

Personally, l will think this defense can be considered elite when they perform and don't play flat when it matters the most.

This is fair, although it's simply not realistic to expect them to stop Brady when he's firing on all cylinders. I highly doubt any team beats NE yesterday. We're at a coaching disadvantage every time against these guys on top

of it. I'm seeing a lot of second guessing the defensive gameplan and I get it. However, it's an unfortunate fact that the Patriots are on a level by themselves, especially when in a groove offensively. What's really a shame is that we pretty much handed it to them with penalties. That's a big part of the coaching disadvantage. The silver lining is that the level of competition should pay dividends. I am not afraid of the Jets or the Dolphins. We'll take 3 of those 4 games.

Personally, l will think this defense can be considered elite when they perform and don't play flat when it matters the most.

For that this defense needs help from the offense. You cannot dig a huge hole in the 1st quarter when the Offense and ST handover the ball at the 15 and 20 yard line (of the Bills) to Tom Brady, possibly the best QB in the NFL ever!

For that this defense needs help from the offense. You cannot dig a huge hole in the 1st quarter when the Offense and ST handover the ball at the 15 and 20 yard line (of the Bills) to Tom Brady, possibly the best QB in the NFL ever!

While that's a mitigating factor in terms of points, they still allowed 500+ yards. Their job is to get off the damn field and they couldn't.

By meaningful, I mean organization changing and finally turning the corner from mediocrity.

You want to see the end of the season then. Beginning of the season always crazy. It is the playoff push at the end that tells the story. Only making the playoffs is organization changing.

That's a totally subjective call. Ten days ago the Colts were such a challenge. Now, to you, it isn't.

Mediocrity is always lurking around the corner. If they beat the pats* we could be having the same conversation if the got blown out by the fins.

You want to see the end of the season then. Beginning of the season always crazy. It is the playoff push at the end that tells the story. Only making the playoffs is organization changing.

I disagree with all of you. The Colts game was never on the same level as the Pats game. The local and national media was calling this the biggest game we have had since the playoffs were on the line against the Steelers over a decade ago. Before the ball was snapped, everyone from the players, to the media, to the fans, believed this game was organization changing and was more significant than any other game we have had in recent memory.

Now that the defense collapsed and performed at historical lows, we can say it was "just one game" and "it's only week 2". I don't buy it. It's easy to backtrack when you fall flat on your face.

Edited by jmc12290