Fear not, Bledsoe will continue to fail

Coach Tuesday

Understandably, some fans here and some commentators on ESPN, etc., are urging that the Bills are making a mistake in releasing Bledsoe (folks, it WILL happen in the next seven days, prepare yourselves). They contend that Drew had a solid second half of the season, has some good football left in him, and will be re-united with Parcells in Dallas, resurrecting his Pro Bowl status once again.

Uh, wrong.

And here's three reasons why: Mularkey, Clements, Wyche.

Simply put, I trust those three guys to make the decision. It's not like Donahoe just went and pulled the trigger on his own - I'm sure that the decision to go with the Rook came after long sit-downs with these three, who assured TD (a) that the team couldn't go any farther than it did with Drew at the helm, and (b) that after having watched JP in practice, they are confident that he can lead the team (I know a couple of posters here claim to have an inside "scoop" that there are people in OBD that think JP will bust, but I'm not buying it - they wouldn't be releasing Drew if this was the case).

Wyche knows how to coach QBs. Clements and Mularkey got to the playoffs with Tommy Maddox and Kordell. There is just NO WAY that these three would have let Donahoe make a mistake. The circumstantial evidence compels the realization that Bledsoe is washed up (confirming that which we've seen for ourselves on the field).

Also, there's just no way Drew goes to the Cowboys and sets the world on fire. Why would he, because of Parcells? Please. Parcells didn't exactly turn miracles with Vinny, Quincy, Chad Hutch, etc... the guy isn't a QB coach, and his formula of asking decent QBs not to lose games hasn't won him anything in Dallas. I seriously doubt he'll be able to do what Wyche, Clements and Mularkey couldn't - which is getting Drew to make the right reads on third down, get rid of the ball before the rush, and not throw to the guys in the other-colored jerseys. No way.

Bledsoe's goose is cooked - he should retire, or stay here and back up JP. His time came and went, no two ways about it.

And JP is going to be great, right? After all, he has proven himself to be durable and prepared, hasn't he?  :P

237099[/snapback]

Yeah, kind of like Julius Jones. He was an unknown who missed most of the year with an injury. Just because Drew sucks does not mean that JP is gonna be the second coming of Unitas. JP has thrown 5 passes. Cut him some slack. TD thinks highly enough of him to trade up and draft JP. He is privy to alot more film and information then any of us. Peyton had a rough rookie year. So did just about every great QB. Back off on JP, cheer for him and hope for the best. He will have some mistakes learning this game but cut him some slack. The expectations for him are ridiculous. Go JP!

Yeah, kind of like Julius Jones.  He was an unknown who missed most of the year with an injury.  Just because Drew sucks does not mean that JP is gonna be the second coming of Unitas.  JP has thrown 5 passes.  Cut him some slack.  TD thinks highly enough of him to trade up and draft JP.  He is privy to alot more film and information then any of us.  Peyton had a rough rookie year.  So did just about every great QB.  Back off on JP, cheer for him and hope for the best.  He will have some mistakes learning this game but cut him some slack.  The expectations for him are ridiculous.  Go JP!

237102[/snapback]

Losman is a huge question mark. If the Bills are going to cut ties with Bledsoe, they should give the job to Garcia in the same way the Giants did to Warner. But Garcia is better than Warner and might help the Bills put up some Ws while Losman is developing. What has Losman done to earn any starts?

Understandably, some fans here and some commentators on ESPN, etc., are urging that the Bills are making a mistake in releasing Bledsoe (folks, it WILL happen in the next seven days, prepare yourselves).  They contend that Drew had a solid second half of the season, has some good football left in him, and will be re-united with Parcells in Dallas, resurrecting his Pro Bowl status once again.

Uh, wrong.

And here's three reasons why:  Mularkey, Clements, Wyche.

Simply put, I trust those three guys to make the decision.  It's not like Donahoe just went and pulled the trigger on his own - I'm sure that the decision to go with the Rook came after long sit-downs with these three, who assured TD (a) that the team couldn't go any farther than it did with Drew at the helm, and (b) that after having watched JP in practice, they are confident that he can lead the team (I know a couple of posters here claim to have an inside "scoop" that there are people in OBD that think JP will bust, but I'm not buying it - they wouldn't be releasing Drew if this was the case).

Wyche knows how to coach QBs.  Clements and Mularkey got to the playoffs with Tommy Maddox and Kordell.  There is just NO WAY that these three would have let Donahoe make a mistake.  The circumstantial evidence compels the realization that Bledsoe is washed up (confirming that which we've seen for ourselves on the field). 

Also, there's just no way Drew goes to the Cowboys and sets the world on fire.  Why would he, because of Parcells?  Please.  Parcells didn't exactly turn miracles with Vinny, Quincy, Chad Hutch, etc... the guy isn't a QB coach, and his formula of asking decent QBs not to lose games hasn't won him anything in Dallas.  I seriously doubt he'll be able to do what Wyche, Clements and Mularkey couldn't - which is getting Drew to make the right reads on third down, get rid of the ball before the rush, and not throw to the guys in the other-colored jerseys.  No way. 

Bledsoe's goose is cooked - he should retire, or stay here and back up JP.  His time came and went, no two ways about it.

237082[/snapback]

I actually harbor no ill will against Drew and hope he does have success if he is somewhere else...AS LONG AS HE ISN'T PLAYING US...but serously....could anyone really imagine him doing well against our defense?

I also think the Bills coaching braintrust is right yo require Bledsoe to restructure and lower his cap hit if he wants to stay and that being upfront about their desire to have JP prove on the field that the future is now and let Bledsoe know JP and Bledsoe will be judged by how they produce on the field if Bledsoe chooses to restructure and stay.

As best as I can tell this is what the deal is and I think this is the correct way to go. I douubt Bledsoe will be able to continue the rate of improvement in 2005 which saw him improve from horrendous in 2003 to be "merely" inadequate in 2004.

However, like Coach Tuesday I trust Clements, MM and TD. I assume he means what he says and though I doubt that Bledsoe can earn the startwe\s job in the unlikely event he decides to stay, it would certainly be better for the Bills cap status if he decided to stay and if the braintrust decided he played well enough (or in what I think is the unlikely event that JP really sucks and ain't ready, I'm galf to see that Coach T. and others would embrace such a decision by the braintrust and welcome Bledsoe as our starter.

I doubt this will happen but the critical thing here is that folks support the Bills leadership if that is what they decided.