Should NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL do away with divisions?

Dragonborn10

The Panthers and Seahawks have both recently hosted playoff games with losing records.

The Cubs and Pirates will be forced to play a WC play-in game even though both have better records than the NL East and West division leaders.

It is time to abolish the division format. The best teams should make the playoffs and be ranked by overall record to determine home field/court.

Rivalry games can still be scheduled. Better yet non-traditional foes can play more frequently.

The Bills have played three times in Lambeau since 1974.

What say you all???

I don't. I only watch the NFL so I am not quite sure about way it works in other American sports but I favour keeping a form of division structure in the NFL. That isn't to say it has to be this division structure that exists presently.

If the League ever wants to consider further expansion, and it will at some point, then the current structure will need looking at again.

What I would do, and I think has been talked about but not sure agreed is I would not have the division winners as automatically the top 4 play-off seeds. I'd have division winners in the play-offs but if they are in at 7-8-1 then they are going to be the 6th seed and face a road game.

I dont think so. It would take away rivalries. If you are batteling the same teams Year in and Year out, you build up a hatred for those teams. If everyone is in the same mix, you can say goodbye to non-geographical rivalries.

Think about us. We wouldnt care about beating the patriots nearly as much as we do. We are fighting for that last playoff spot, and the patriots are probably going to get one anyway. Look at us and the colts. Do you honestly care about them AT ALL since they left the AFC East? Probably not (Side note, how pissed would we be if Brady AND Manning AND Luck have been in our division the last 10 years...while we had Johnson/Losman/Edwards/Manuel?).

I think the proliferation of the wild card is eroding the importance of the regular season in these sports, and frankly I dont like it. I also dont like interleague play in MLB, but maybe I am just a traditionalist. I would be in favor of one cross-league "rivalry" series each year (i.e. Nationals - Orioles, Mets-Yankees, Oakland -San Fran, etc). Those games were awesome the first year of interleague, but now they are just another game on the schedule because it happens too often.

If you are going to do anything, maybe combine the league into geographical regions. Get rid of the AFC/NFC all togheter.

New East Division

Bills

Patriots

Jets

Giants

Eagles

Steelers

Ravens

Redskins

New West Division

Raiders

Chargers

Cardinals

Broncos

Seahawks

49ers

Chiefs

Titans

Midwest Division

Lions

Bears

Packers

Rams

Vikings

Bengals

Browns

Colts

South Division

Texans

Falcons

Panthers

Buccaneers

Cowboys

Jaguars

Dolphins

Saints

Ahh yes... I could go for that...

Top 2 in each division go to the playoffs. Natural rivalries all around. Play every team in division once, and 3 teams from every other division each year. This whole thing gets better if the Jaguars or the Rams actually move to the West Division. I dont like having the Chiefs and Titans in the west...but I cant make it any better.