ESPN Reports: Losman Starter in Buffalo..

AirBledsoe11

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Emerging running game  OH PLEASE look at the offensive line. 

i just hope your excuses don't stop when JP or anyone else is the QB of the bills... I'm going to remember that its never the QB's fault when drew was here. To keep your credibility here, you sure better keep those same excuses when drew leaves.

As for the running game, we had a guy who was a GIMP running for over 1000 yards. Sure, he's a top 3 RB, which covered for his 85% leg, but truth be told, he still was a GIMP this year. Willis and the running game are top notch, and the line did open holes for him. trust me, its anything but the running game. That's one of the major strengths of this team.

are we talking about RJ or JP?? :doh: Damn let the man start a game before you call for his head. At least the Bledsoe bashers waited for a 1.5 years.

236534[/snapback]

GREAT point, and oh-so-true. I've never been a Bledsoe fan, but I gave him a full year (ie. 16 games) of royally sucking before slamming him, just like I do every Bills player. If they turn it around like MW did, I not only quickly back off but I also give praise where credit is due. Unfortunately, Bledsoe never turned it around. Other than 1-2 games, he continued to be a bumbling clod, especially against good teams.

I really think that anyone who will slam JP now before even seeing how he performs as a starter is either:

a. a troll OR

b. a Drew fan who cares far more about Drew than the Bills.

Sad but true. :P

GREAT point, and oh-so-true. I've never been a Bledsoe fan, but I gave him a full year of royally sucking before slamming him, just like I do every Bills player. If they turn it around like MW did, I not only quickly back off but I also give praise where credit is due. Unfortunately, Bledsoe never turned it around. Other than 1-2 games, he continued to be a bumbling clod, especially against good teams.

I really think that anyone who will slam JP now before even seeing how he performs as a starter is either:

a. a troll OR

b. a Drew fan who cares far more about Drew than the Bills.

Sad but true. :lol:

236657[/snapback]

sue i hope you are hearing this :doh::P

I just hope when in all honesty we go 6-10 with esentially a rookie next season that no one jumps down the kids throat saying "start whoever is the backup".

I love this notion that Losman can do no worse than Bledsoe and point to things such as Bledsoes passer rating? How can passer rating even be used in an argument. Can anyone here actually tell me the formula for passer rating. you know for awhile brian moorman and jeff feagles had a higher passer rating than eli manning, that to me tells me all I need to know about passer rating

I also love this thing where everyone is assuming Bledsoe is gone.... Well I guess Tom Donahoe said he's gone.... no wait... ralph wilson said it... nope... tom modrak...no... mike mularkey.... no didn't happen either. Darn!!! In fact no one from within the bills organizations has said anything regarding the bledsoe situation latelty. I for one would much rather have Drew Bledsoe who knows the players and the system stay with a restructed salary of course over bringing in someone who quite honestly is worse than drew bledsoe. ala jeff garcia, kelly holcomb, charlie batch,jay fiedler and have bledsoe compete for the starting job.

Yes JP Losman is the future. He also is really frail looking. Kind of reminds me of when Tom brady first came into the league in terms of being frail. I like Losmans Potential, I agree he's gotta have a chance. I just find it odd people want to run out the guy who could very well be the best backup we could get. A good team first good character guy.

I also never understood the fatuation for one player. To Me as far as I'm concerned football is a team sport. Yes quaterbacks matter but if you don't have talent around said quaterback you're not gonna be very good. Our oline is not of the ilk of the steelers,chiefs,colts,pats,jets etc. I always believed you win starting up front, but I guess I was wrong you apparantly win with a guy with Tremendous Upside potential who's shown nothing other than he seems to be frail, and looked scared against the best defense in the nfl in garbage time by fumbling the ball and throwing a pick all in a matter of 3 plays

Willis and the running game are top notch, and the line did open holes for him.  trust me, its anything but the running game.  That's one of the major strengths of this team.

236655[/snapback]

Wasn't Willis in the top-3 for plays that went for 0 yards or negative yards? That's an indication of a poor OL. If you're hit in the backfield before you can even take the 2-3 steps to get back to the LOS, you have a bad line.

How many times did we have 3rd and 1 and fail to convert? I know it happened against the Raiders on the goalline with TH. It happened against the Patriots (and we were forced to go for it on 4th down). If the running game is a "major strength," shouldn't they be abel to pick up one measily yard more often than not?

Here's some of his poor games:

Bengals: 11 rushes, 25 yards, 14 long (meaning 10 rushes for 11 yards the rest of the game).

Patriots: 14 rushes, 37 yards, 11 long

Raiders: 2 rushes, -3 yards (ouch)

He's a great RB, but I have to put these crappy numbers squarely on the OL. 2 rushes for -3 yeards?! 10 rushes for 11 yards?! Come on! To see these stats and say that our OL and running game is a strength is crazy.

CW

Wasn't Willis in the top-3 for plays that went for 0 yards or negative yards?  That's an indication of a poor OL.  If you're hit in the backfield before you can even take the 2-3 steps to get back to the LOS, you have a bad line.

How many times did we have 3rd and 1 and fail to convert?  I know it happened against the Raiders on the goalline with TH.  It happened against the Patriots (and we were forced to go for it on 4th down).  If the running game is a "major strength," shouldn't they be abel to pick up one measily yard more often than not?

Bengals: 11 rushes, 25 yards, 14 long (meaning 10 rushes for 11 yards the rest of the game).

He's a great RB, but I have to put these crappy numbers squarely on the OL.  2 rushes for -3 yeards?!  10 rushes for 11 yards?!  Come on!  To see these stats and say that our OL and running game is a strength is crazy.

CW

236672[/snapback]

I recall a fellow who writes a column over on BZ, in giving thoughts on WMG after he was drafted, saying that WMG in college was as likely to break long runs as he was to take a loss.

I also saw that mentioned in scouting reports at the time. I'm not defending the O-line, but it seems he is as advertised.

Which gives pause about Losman...and his college performance. And many a jaw dropped when the Bills made the trade and picked him.

Still, I'm glad they are going to start him. The B'gals did so with Palmer last year, despite Kitna's strong 2003 season.

Wasn't Willis in the top-3 for plays that went for 0 yards or negative yards?  That's an indication of a poor OL.  If you're hit in the backfield before you can even take the 2-3 steps to get back to the LOS, you have a bad line.

How many times did we have 3rd and 1 and fail to convert?  I know it happened against the Raiders on the goalline with TH.  It happened against the Patriots (and we were forced to go for it on 4th down).  If the running game is a "major strength," shouldn't they be abel to pick up one measily yard more often than not?

He's a great RB, but I have to put these crappy numbers squarely on the OL.  2 rushes for -3 yeards?!  10 rushes for 11 yards?!  Come on!  To see these stats and say that our OL and running game is a strength is crazy.

CW

236672[/snapback]

you bring up a great point fezmid, but i seem to remember another RB who lost yards on a ton of his carries...cant remember who he is, but i think he wore #20 for the lions...i think he turned out ok...

i aint sayin that Willis is the next barry, but carries for minus yards can be overcome (and yes, a better OL would og a long way to helping this...)

I recall a fellow who writes a column over on BZ, in giving thoughts on WMG after he was drafted, saying that WMG in college was as likely to break long runs as he was to take a loss.

I also saw that mentioned in scouting reports at the time. I'm not defending the O-line, but it seems he is as advertised.

Which gives pause about Losman...and his college performance.  And many a jaw dropped when the Bills made the trade and picked him.

Still, I'm glad they are going to start him.  The B'gals did so with Palmer last year, despite Kitna's strong 2003 season.

236680[/snapback]

That'd be all well in good regarding WM if the same thing didn't happen with TH in there. But it did (remember the Raiders game?). So WM gets hit behind the line... TH gets hit behind the line... DB gets hit behind the line... But it's not the OL? :doh: Also remember that our starting LT is a free agent, as well as our backup LT (Price), and it's going to be really hard to keep the status quoue, let alone improve.

Also remember that it's still purely rumor that Buffalo is starting JPL; the media has been wrong in the past ("We're starting Flutie!" and "We're hiring Lewis!" come to mind). Don't count your chickens.

CW

you bring up a great point fezmid, but i seem to remember another RB who lost yards on a ton of his carries...cant remember who he is, but i think he wore #20 for the lions...i think he turned out ok...

i aint sayin that Willis is the next barry, but carries for minus yards can be overcome (and yes, a better OL would og a long way to helping this...)

236687[/snapback]

I never said WM was a bad back -- my point was that the OL isn't very good. And neither was Detroit's. If Barry had Buffalo, Washington, or Dallas's OL (at the time), think of how scary-good he would've been.

CW

I posted this elsewhere (i.e. about the runs for losses) and someone said it was an erroneous stat. In any case, the O-line needs to be improved a lot in run-blocking. Too many times they failed on 3rd and 4th and short/1 for my liking. And the difference between McGahee and Sanders is that McGahee has the power to muscle ahead when nothing's there, whereas Sanders knew he could juke and jive his way to yards a lot of times. If the stat is true, I'd be more inclined to believe it's a function of the O-line.

See, it's quotes like this that make the Drew-bashers/JP-lovers lose all credibility.  We can do no worse than 9-7?!?!?!!  WTF is that?  If we were 4-12 this year, fine, maybe I'd agree with you.  But we had a freak'n winning record this year!  In case you havn't noticed, I think our record put us in the top-third of the league.  Last I checked, we beat three playoff teams last year.

236570[/snapback]

The team won those games. Not Drew Bledsoe. If you watched the games, you know this.

Whether we can do better or not with Losman is up for debate, but the jury is in on Drew and he has show what he is and isn't capable of. A lot of us just think what he is capable of doesn't suit this team.

I'm rooting for the Bills in '05, whomever they start, and I hope the winner of a good competition emerges to lead this team to greater heights.

Yes the TEAM won them, and that team included Bledsoe.  To think that JP will do as well, or better, based on evidence to the contrary, if fanciful thinking.

236708[/snapback]

Where's the evidence? 5 passes in garbage time on a leg that not completely healed from a break? Inconclusive, period. Given adequate preparation I think JP will perform at least as well behind the current line, perhaps better if we pick up a new guard or LT and have McGahee in there all year.

The team included Bledsoe, but I can count on a few fingers the number of games Bledsoe actually won for us. I applauded when he made a checkdown, because it hardly ever happened. You know as well as I do that without the generally solid play of the defense, and the stellar (save for Lindell) special teams, we don't win half as many games as we did in '04. And I'm not saying that it's Bledsoe's responsibility to carry the team on his shoulders (though it would be/have been nice sometimes). What I am saying is that he deserves little credit for winning these games when McGahee, ST and D were much more responsible for our victories.