Bettis Interveiw on NFL live

Possibly interesting note on Bettis:

The day after the AFC chaampionship, the Stillers held a players only meeting to close out their season. I caught an interview w/ Hines Ward on the tube coming out of the meeting and the man was beside himself with grief, tears running down his face, difficulty speaking, the whole 9 yrds.

He said that Bettis made a speech that had the entire room in tears and Ward was more upset than anything that he couldn't have done more to get Drome a chance to play in a SB.

Most everybody believes what happened is that Bettis thanked his guys, told him how much he loved playing with him but then let them know that either 1) that was his last game and he was hanging them up or 2) the team had already let him know it was going in another direction.

Despite everybody's assertation that the Bills got beat by a 3rdstring scrub RB, the fact is that Verron Hayes is the reald deal as an NFL RB, y'all just haven't heard of him or seen him yet. I've been watching him play very good ball every time he's stepped on the field for the last two years and the play where PhatPat dropped him in the backfield may well have been the only time I've yet to see him go down on first contact. They've also got another young kid (Willie Parker) who's been real impressive for them all year. Between these two low-priced kids and Staley, there's just no room for an older back like Bettis and his contract.

The reason I mention all this is that while it seems like Bettis is done in P'burgh, he may not be quite done playing ball. He's only 32 and has dished out a hell of a lot more punishment than he's taken. He averaged nearly 4yrds/carry this year, scored over a dozen TD's and his leadership and intangibles are simply off the charts.

This is exactly the kind of guy the Bills need to back up McGahee next year, or be able to play for an extended period if Willis' knee goes kablooey. TD has a history of maintaining a veeerrry deep stable of quality RB's, he's already dealt for Bettis once and you know damned well that Drome is exactly the kindof tough physical player that he covets.

I'm not saying that the hat Bettis was wearing means anything (although being the jokester he is, I wouldn't be surprised if this was some sort of gag on TD who maybe he's spoken with recently), but if Bettis still wants to play ball, he would be an absolutely outstanding fit in a XXXL Bills uni next year.

Cya

The day after the AFC chaampionship, the Stillers held a players only meeting to close out their season. I caught an interview w/ Hines Ward on the tube coming out of the meeting and the man was beside himself with grief, tears running down his face, difficulty speaking, the whole 9 yrds.

He said that Bettis made a speech that had the entire room in tears and Ward was more upset than anything that he couldn't have done more to get Drome a chance to play in a SB.

Most everybody believes what happened is that Bettis thanked his guys, told him how much he loved playing with him but then let them know that either 1) that was his last game and he was hanging them up or 2) the team had already let him know it was going in another direction.

Despite everybody's assertation that the Bills got beat by a 3rdstring scrub RB, the fact is that Verron Hayes is the reald deal as an NFL RB, y'all just haven't heard of him or seen him yet. I've been watching him play very good ball every time he's stepped on the field for the last two years and the play where PhatPat dropped him in the backfield may well have been the only time I've yet to see him go down on first contact. They've also got another young kid (Willie Parker) who's been real impressive for them all year. Between these two low-priced kids and Staley, there's just no room for an older back like Bettis and his contract.

The reason I mention all this is that while it seems like Bettis is done in P'burgh, he may not be quite done playing ball. He's only 32 and has dished out a hell of a lot more punishment than he's taken. He averaged nearly 4yrds/carry this year, scored over a dozen TD's and his leadership and intangibles are simply off the charts.

This is exactly the kind of guy the Bills need to back up McGahee next year, or be able to play for an extended period if Willis' knee goes kablooey. TD has a history of maintaining a veeerrry deep stable of quality RB's, he's already dealt for Bettis once and you know damned well that Drome is exactly the kindof tough physical player that he covets.

I'm not saying that the hat Bettis was wearing means anything (although being the jokester he is, I wouldn't be surprised if this was some sort of gag on TD who maybe he's spoken with recently), but if Bettis still wants to play ball, he would be an absolutely outstanding fit in a XXXL Bills uni next year.

Cya

236487[/snapback]

Thanks for that Simon. I hope you are right.

PS: Stop hating me for not wanting Batch. :lol::ph34r:

PS: Stop hating me for not wanting Batch.

I don't hate you for that. There's plenty of other reasons to hate you. :P

Hey if Batch isn't your cup 'o' tea, I have no problem with that. If we all agreed on everything this place would be pretty boring.

However calling him a dimestore trollop and a hobo when he's been a good guy throughout his career and done nothing worse than carry an abysmal Lions team to the postseason before signing with his hometown Stillers may be a little over the top.

Kinda like dozens of posts taking unnecessary shots at a young Bills player who hasn't done anything wrong but get hurt while wearing red when he wasn't expecting contact.

:doh:

Give the kid a break until he actually gives us a reason not to give him a break.

Cya

Cya

236487[/snapback]

Jerome Bettis as a Bill...that would be sweet. Perfect veteran backup to Willis. I believe he is done in PA. Let's hope this is an ex-steeler that comes over to our side.