Fantastic Four Bombs

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4093

Thank you America. this pile of $%^& needs to burn. Stop ruining my childhood, and give the franchise back to Marvel!

Even with a lowered forecast of 45 million after bad audience and critical screenings forced re-shoots, this awful re-imagining is on pace to make $27 million it's opening weekend. (just barely more than Pixels). It currently has a 9% rotten tomato rating with only %28 of audiences liking the movie.

Despite Marvel's success at translating it's comic book heroes to the screen, Fox is continuing to insist it can ignore canon and produce a story with little to no reference to the source material. The directors/writers/producers have even told actors to avoid reading the comic books since they want a "fresh" take on the characters. The Director. Trank, has already begun to distance himself from the wreckage, blaming Fox executives for ruining his "vision." In my opinion, no amount of tinkering could have salvaged this steaming pile.

If you want a fun movie to watch this weekend, go see Ant-man or Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superhero movies have Jumped the Shark. They were cool when there was about one coming out per year. But now it's like 6 of them a year, reboots of franchises that are less than 10 years old, repetitive story lines, horrific acting, and the same formula...spend entire budget on special effects and marketing, screw a storyline and good actors.

Superhero movies have Jumped the Shark. They were cool when there was about one coming out per year. But now it's like 6 of them a year, reboots of franchises that are less than 10 years old, repetitive story lines, horrific acting, and the same formula...spend entire budget on special effects and marketing, screw a storyline and good actors.

41 super hero movies are currently filming, in the can, or in pre-production.

The tide is only growing stronger. Which is a damn shame for American cinema.

That's insane.

Agreed. And I LOVE popcorn movies. But the market for original studio movies nowadays does not exist. It's all existing IP or super heroes. There's no original voices or directors coming out of the studio system today, and with less and less money being available to the studio's indie arms, there are fewer and fewer opportunities to tell stories that don't involve super humans.

This is the end result of moving the power in the studio system from development departments to marketing departments.

To be fair you should not count Pee Wee Herman, Gilbert Gottfried, Woody Allen and Mr. Bean movies as super hero movies in spite of the pedestal you personally put them on.

So not 41, more like 34.

The industry is shifting to accomodate an audience who grew up playing video games. It's not a fad, it's a trend.

You can either learn to love it or become one of those old people who complain about the lack of Westerns and Musicals.

Do all the academy award winning actors/directors involved in the Marvel Cinematic Universe bother you, or do you automatically assume they suck because it's a super-hero movie?

I don't really care if the characters can fly or are just able to hold their breath for 4 minutes, if the story is good, i'll watch it. Unless you're watching a documentary, none of it is real anyway.

I don't see the point in lumping them all together. There are good and bad movies of every genre. Antman was basically Iron Man 1 with a heist, but it was still enjoyable.

To be fair you should not count Pee Wee Herman, Gilbert Gottfried, Woody Allen and Mr. Bean movies as super hero movies in spite of the pedestal you personally put them on.

So not 41, more like 34.

Never! Mr. Bean IS a super hero. Have you seen him do action?!

The industry is shifting to accomodate an audience who grew up playing video games. It's not a fad, it's a trend.

You can either learn to love it or become one of those old people who complain about the lack of Westerns and Musicals.

That's not true, it has nothing to do with catering to gamers and everything to do with reducing financial risk for the studios making the films. There's less risk, in their minds, with existing IP. And since Hollywood is like the NFL in the sense it's a copy-cat town, once one super hero movie hit, the rest were scrambling to get a piece of the pie with their own IP.

And I disagree that I have to learn to love it. As I stated, I love popcorn movies and have a pretty friendly working relationship with both Disney and Marvel. I respect their creative visions for their super hero worlds, that's not the issue. The issue is that super hero movies are the ONLY movies being made by studios. This was never the case, even in the era of the blockbuster. There has always been room, prior to the collapse in 2008, for original content in the studio system. Now there isn't.

The reason has nothing to do with gamers or a younger generation and everything to do with brand recognition.

Do all the academy award winning actors/directors involved in the Marvel Cinematic Universe bother you, or do you automatically assume they suck because it's a super-hero movie?

I don't really care if the characters can fly or are just able to hold their breath for 4 minutes, if the story is good, i'll watch it. Unless you're watching a documentary, none of it is real anyway.

I don't see the point in lumping them all together. There are good and bad movies of every genre. Antman was basically Iron Man 1 with a heist, but it was still enjoyable.

I watch them all. The second Avengers was pretty lousy story wise. Ditto with Thor 2, Iron-man 2 (3 was good). Both Cap movies were good -- even though the second one took a page from every conspiracy theory ever written. The last X-Men movie was fun, I have high hopes for Apocalypse as well as Tatum's Gambit movies. But in a little more than a decade we've seen Spidey rebooted twice, Fantastic Four rebooted twice (not going to be a third time), I've lost count of how many times Batman and Supes have been rebooted but now with Suicide Squad we're guaranteed to get at least 4 more spin offs with characters no one cares about.

And every origin story is identical.

Edited by GreggyT

I watch them all. The second Avengers was pretty lousy story wise. Ditto with Thor 2, Iron-man 2 (3 was good). Both Cap movies were good -- even though the second one took a page from every conspiracy theory ever written. The last X-Men movie was fun, I have high hopes for Apocalypse as well as Tatum's Gambit movies. But in a little more than a decade we've seen Spidey rebooted twice, Fantastic Four rebooted twice (not going to be a third time), I've lost count of how many times Batman and Supes have been rebooted but now with Suicide Squad we're guaranteed to get at least 4 more spin offs with characters no one cares about.

The difference I'm seeing is that Marvel is building their brand while other Studios (Fox) are pushing reboots for the money. Marvel knew from the beginning that Ant-man and Guardians of the Galaxy were 3rd tier characters that had a good chance of losing money, but they pushed them through anyway. People are learning to trust their vision as they move past origin stories. For this reason, I have more faith in Civil War than Apocalypse.

I think it's too easy to lump all Superhero movies into one pile.

Spiderman and Fantastic four were complete cash grabs. On the other hand, DC is trying to straddle both lines. It'll be interesting to see if their need to establish a working universe can overcome their desire to make short-term money.

And no, Superhero movies are not the only films being made, they're just the ones making the most money. The studios have tried with Jupiter Ascending, Tomorrowland, Edge of Tomorrow, Ex Machina, Nightcrawler.... no one cares, even if it's good.

I agree with every thing you said in this post. The fact of the matter is, that if you went back about 2000 when X-Men came out and superhero movies really started to take off, there has been an average of roughly one good one per year.

2000 - X-Men

2001 - None

2002 - Spider-Man

2003 - None - X2 was just OK IMO

2004 - Hellboy

2005 - Batman Begins

2006 - V for Vendetta, XMen Last Stand

2007 - None

2008 - Iron Man, The Dark Knight

2009 - Watchmen

2010 - Kick-Ass

2011 - Thor, Captain America

2012 - The Avengers, Dark Knight Rises

2013 - Iron Man 3

2014 - Guardians of the Galaxy

2015 - Maybe Ant-Man, haven't seen it yet.

That's right around 1 per year. The rest of them were either terrible or just m'eh.

I assume they suck because it's a super hero movie, and the handful I've seen since this awful trend started all support the premise. Very few appear to have anything but a paint-by-numbers story. Even going to a classic drive-in two nights ago couldn't make Fantastic Four watchable. The kids didn't even like it.

And no, Superhero movies are not the only films being made, they're just the ones making the most money. The studios have tried with Jupiter Ascending, Tomorrowland, Edge of Tomorrow, Ex Machina, Nightcrawler.... no one cares, even if it's good.

It's not just the super hero motif, it's the lack of original stories being told. The overwhelming majority of studio films are based on existing IP (mainly super heroes) because they believe the built in brand recognition will draw audiences in. Of your list, only Tomorrowland (not an original story) and Edge of Tomorrow (also not original) were made by studios. The others were released by studios after indies / producers found outside financing. Trust me, this is what I do for a living. The studios are not buying original material. At all. It's been almost 2 development cycles (nearly 4 years) without a studio (fox, Disney, Sony, warners, paramount) releasing an original live action film. There have been some animated films based on original content. But that's about it.

(edited because I'm on the move)

Edited by GreggyT

I agree with every thing you said in this post. The fact of the matter is, that if you went back about 2000 when X-Men came out and superhero movies really started to take off, there has been an average of roughly one good one per year.

2000 - X-Men

2001 - None

2002 - Spider-Man

2003 - None - X2 was just OK IMO

2004 - Hellboy

2005 - Batman Begins

2006 - V for Vendetta, XMen Last Stand

2007 - None

2008 - Iron Man, The Dark Knight

2009 - Watchmen

2010 - Kick-Ass

2011 - Thor, Captain America

2012 - The Avengers, Dark Knight Rises

2013 - Iron Man 3

2014 - Guardians of the Galaxy

2015 - Maybe Ant-Man, haven't seen it yet.

That's right around 1 per year. The rest of them were either terrible or just m'eh.

I'm with you. Good list too. I think you'll like ant man if you liked the others on the list. It was fun, but I find Paul Rudd to be hilarious... so I could be biased.

I assume they suck because it's a super hero movie, and the handful I've seen since this awful trend started all support the premise. Very few appear to have anything but a paint-by-numbers story. Even going to a classic drive-in two nights ago couldn't make Fantastic Four watchable. The kids didn't even like it.

There's two trends converging... maybe three. First is the IP issue I discussed above (studios are risk adverse, original content is inherently risky, thus they avoid it). Second (and maybe third) is the fact that box office numbers domestically are dwindling and more and more movies are making their profits overseas -- particularly in Asia. Comedy doesn't translate to a universal audience, drama does but not as well as ACTION. The more action, the less dialogue, the less need to translate idioms and nuances to the global audience.

That's why the new Mission Impossible is essentially a silent movie during the action sequences (which are long). Still a good flick, mind you, just one example of these trends converging.

I'm with you. Good list too. I think you'll like ant man if you liked the others on the list. It was fun, but I find Paul Rudd to be hilarious... so I could be biased.

There's two trends converging... maybe three. First is the IP issue I discussed above (studios are risk adverse, original content is inherently risky, thus they avoid it). Second (and maybe third) is the fact that box office numbers domestically are dwindling and more and more movies are making their profits overseas -- particularly in Asia. Comedy doesn't translate to a universal audience, drama does but not as well as ACTION. The more action, the less dialogue, the less need to translate idioms and nuances to the global audience.

That's why the new Mission Impossible is essentially a silent movie during the action sequences (which are long). Still a good flick, mind you, just one example of these trends converging.

That's a very interesting point that I have never really considered. Makes perfect sense.

It would only be a shame if that isn't what people wanted to see...

It's a shame as far as I'm concerned. I hate superhero movies. I remember when comic book and video game crap was for kids. I find all this bull **** boring and shallow.

I watch enough inane kid stuff with my daughter. When I find time to watch something made for adults, I want something intelligent.

Edited by Cugalabanza

It's a shame as far as I'm concerned. I hate superhero movies. I remember when comic book and video game crap was for kids. I find all this bull **** boring and shallow.

I watch enough inane kid stuff with my daughter. When I find time to watch something made for adults, I want something intelligent.

So it is ashame b.c you dont like superhero movies... Plenty of "intelligent" movies coming out. I don't think however you understand that the superhero movies are for adults also. It is called entertainment.