NFL.com: Making the Leap: Sammy Watkins

I thought it was an average at best article. Ryan didn't pull the first team defense because of QB play but because they were too quick to the QB to even get reps in. Oversights/blatantly wrong reporting is why most sports news outlets suck.

I just have a hard time reading Wesselings' stuff. It's always littered with contradictions that leaves me wondering how he's going to come around to his headline - then his write up doesn't - then he makes a bold statement at the end to match his headline.

So basically the article reads IMO:

Watkins should have had more yards and catches had he had a better QB - but he dropped a lot of passes, his route tree wasn't mature enough, and had a litany of injuries.

This year the QB's in mini camp were awful so there's no reason to believe he'll be seeing accurate passes, Rex plans to run ground n pound, he'll be competing for catches with Harvin, Woods and Clay - yet "A healthy Watkins can be expected to topple that mark in 2015. The question isn't whether Watkins will produce. It's whether he will emerge as one of the best at his position, ultimately proving worthy of the exorbitant price the Bills paid to trade up for him."

I just have a hard time reading Wesselings' stuff. It's always littered with contradictions that leaves me wondering how he's going to come around to his headline - then his write up doesn't - then he makes a bold statement at the end to match his headline.

Gregg Rosenthal has always been by favorite of the four.

So basically the article reads IMO:

Watkins should have had more yards and catches had he had a better QB - but he dropped a lot of passes, his route tree wasn't mature enough, and had a litany of injuries.

This year the QB's in mini camp were awful so there's no reason to believe he'll be seeing accurate passes, Rex plans to run ground n pound, he'll be competing for catches with Harvin, Woods and Clay - yet "A healthy Watkins can be expected to topple that mark in 2015. The question isn't whether Watkins will produce. It's whether he will emerge as one of the best at his position, ultimately proving worthy of the exorbitant price the Bills paid to trade up for him."

Wessling drives me insane. He often speaks/writes in absolutes as if his assertions were indisputable, when often they are not.

His love affair with ODBJ is just unreal.

Gregg Rosenthal has always been by favorite of the four.

As the group's Pats* fan, he does a remarkable job of not being an annoying shill.

Am I the only one who is worried about Watkins getting his hands on a lions share of balls in this offense? He is flat out a dynamic receiver and will own most DB's one on one this year. That's if soneone will get him the ball.

Edited by BeefCurtns

Am I the only one who is worried about Watkins getting his hands on a lions share of balls in this offense? He is flat out a dynamic receiver and will own most DB's one on one this year. That's if soneone will get him the ball.

That worries you?

Pretty much everything should be going to Watkins or McCoy, if healthy.

Next tier is Woods and Clay.

Third tier would be Harvin, Goodwin, and backup RBs/FB/TEs.

Bottom line is you get your best players the ball and I don't think Roman has had an issue with that in the past. I wouldn't worry.

I can tell you one thing, If Sammy Watkins played on the NY GIants, Denver Broncos, or the GreenBay Packers Sammy Watkins would have won Offensive Rookie of the year, and not just because of the QB's.

For example in watching tape of the Giants Odell Beckham got the ball in the backfield, on bubble screens in addition to the other routes consistantly, There were not a lot of stretches were he didnt touch the ball at somepoint. Plus some of the secondaries that ODB played against left something to be desired. For example in the 2 games he played the cowboys he scored a TD in each one of those games on the same play, same route same spot on the field, against the same defense. The route was a whip route. I dont recall Sammy running a whip route all season long.

Edited by Protocal69

Pretty much everything should be going to Watkins or McCoy, if healthy.

Next tier is Woods and Clay.

Third tier would be Harvin, Goodwin, and backup RBs/FB/TEs.

Bottom line is you get your best players the ball and I don't think Roman has had an issue with that in the past. I wouldn't worry.

Oh I don't think play design will be an issue at all as Roman is one of the best in the business. Someone still has to throw him the ball. As much as I root for EJ this was a problem for him. Here's hoping with a real coaching staff he develops into what we all want him to be and get "once every ten years" types like Sammy the ball. I don't think there is a DB on earth that can shut Watkins down the whole game.

Edited by BeefCurtns