And new Champion of the World Connor McGregor!!!

I'm sure Edgar will fight him some day when he is healthy, but I know one thing Connor ducks no one and is why he went up to fight Dos Anjos. Who is a bigger challenge than Edgar and more importantly becoming the first two weight class champion makes for a greater legacy than fighting another top contender.

Agree to disagree on the bolded.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree to disagree on the bolded.

Considering that McGregor has beaten guys that have beaten Edgar, Dos Anjos is the bigger challenge especially the way he decimated Pettis and Cerrone along with being the world champion. Getting two belts are better than one plus its not like he abdicated the belt he will defend both.

Hey I am a big fan of Edgar and hope he gets a belt some day but it won't be against McGregor, he is just too good right now.

I'm sure Edgar will fight him some day when he is healthy, but I know one thing Connor ducks no one and is why he went up to fight Dos Anjos. Who is a bigger challenge than Edgar and more importantly becoming the first two weight class champion makes for a greater legacy than fighting another top contender.

Conor doesn't have to duck anybody, he just let's the UFC make favorable matchup after favorable matchup for him. The day he beats anybody with a ground game that, you know, actually has a full camp, I'll take my hat off to the guy. As of now he's just a very good striker with huge holes in his game until he proves otherwise.

If Diaz decides to grapple with Connor this new matchup will be interesting. If he decides to try and prove a point by going all Stockton on him by boxing, he'll be in trouble. I'm guessing Diaz won't get out of his own way and will stand.

Considering that McGregor has beaten guys that have beaten Edgar, Dos Anjos is the bigger challenge especially the way he decimated Pettis and Cerrone along with being the world champion. Getting two belts are better than one plus its not like he abdicated the belt he will defend both.

Hey I am a big fan of Edgar and hope he gets a belt some day but it won't be against McGregor, he is just too good right now.

RDA might be the bigger threat but only if he uses his wrestling/BJJ mixed in with his stand up. If he does that Connor won't win. If he stands with him Connor has a chance. We might never know. Too bad, as I was really looking forward to that fight.

No he hasn't. He's beaten "guy".

And that means positively dick.

especially after he thumps Edgar

Conor doesn't have to duck anybody, he just let's the UFC make favorable matchup after favorable matchup for him. The day he beats anybody with a ground game that, you know, actually has a full camp, I'll take my hat off to the guy. As of now he's just a very good striker with huge holes in his game until he proves otherwise.

If Diaz decides to grapple with Connor this new matchup will be interesting. If he decides to try and prove a point by going all Stockton on him by boxing, he'll be in trouble. I'm guessing Diaz won't get out of his own way and will stand.

RDA might be the bigger threat but only if he uses his wrestling/BJJ mixed in with his stand up. If he does that Connor won't win. If he stands with him Connor has a chance. We might never know. Too bad, as I was really looking forward to that fight.

You haters are delusional , I thought about responding to this nonsense but all that needs to be said is McGregor can beat anyone at 145 and 155

especially after he thumps Edgar

You haters are delusional , I thought about responding to this nonsense but all that needs to be said is McGregor can beat anyone at 145 and 155

How is it delusional? When has he ever shown to have a solid ground game?

How is it delusional? When has he ever shown to have a solid ground game?

he has a solid ground game just not an elite one. like I said earlier he is not the best in all areas but as a talent he is unbeatable. I think GSP was the most skilled fighter and then Jon Jones but when it comes to "it" Factor Connor right now is the best.

"In case you doubt Conor’s new-school pedigree, watch this video from a few years back, and take note of his going inverted, his deep De La Riva guard and his inverted De La Riva, his baby-bolo to back attempt.

McGregor’s leg-weave sequence with Rafael Mendes, 4x IBJJF World Champion and 2x ADCC champion, and he demonstrated similar techniques that he’s drilled with numerous UFC fighters, including BJ Penn."

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/conor-mcgregors-grappling-game

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

he has a solid ground game just not an elite one. like I said earlier he is not the best in all areas but as a talent he is unbeatable. I think GSP was the most skilled fighter and then Jon Jones but when it comes to "it" Factor Connor right now is the best.

Ive followed this sport since its early Pride days. The one constant through the ever changing environment is that matchups are king. Rarely has there been a guy who can take on all comers. The guys who were able to do that had very solid all around games but more important than that they were/are able to dictate where the fight takes place. That means they used wrestling in reverse to keep it standing or their takedowns and ground game to keep it on the floor. Conor has not shown he can do that yet. Until he does hes going to be a victim of matchups, much like Anthony Petis was.

Granted, the UFC has given him years to work on his wrestling by avoiding those matchups so maybe he will be ready be the time hes truely tested, but until I see it I believe he'll be taken down and ground to a nub by the first top flight wrestler he faces who actually has the cardio to keep his hands up more than 1 round.

Im not a "hater" by any means, the guy is obviously very talented, but I see holes in his game that can easily be taken advantage of by certain opponents.

Edited by MDH

Ive followed this sport since its early Pride days. The one constant through the ever changing environment is that matchups are king. Rarely has there been a guy who can take on all comers. The guys who were able to do that had very solid all around games but more important than that they were/are able to dictate where the fight takes place. That means they used wrestling in reverse to keep it standing or their takedowns and ground game to keep it on the floor. Conor has not shown he can do that yet. Until he does hes going to be a victim of matchups, much like Anthony Petis was.

Granted, the UFC has given him years to work on his wrestling by avoiding those matchups so maybe he will be ready be the time hes truely tested, but until I see it I believe he'll be taken down and ground to a nub by the first top flight wrestler he faces who actually has the cardio to keep his hands up more than 1 round.

Im not a "hater" by any means, the guy is obviously very talented, but I see holes in his game that can easily be taken advantage of by certain opponents.

Mendes took him down an held him fro awhile but he couldn't do anything against him and Mendes is a world class wrestler. I see areas that need work too but no one can take advantage of him.

I actually saw the first UFC way back when I was in the Navy and have seen every UFC, most Prides, Strikeforce, Bellator etc. I also wrestled back in High school and trained Catch-as Catch Can wrestling a few yrs ago and love every thing about the fight game. I believe McGregor is untouchable right now.

I see areas that need work too but no one can take advantage of him. I actually saw the first UFC way back when I was in the Navy and have seen every UFC, most Prides, Strikeforce, Bellator etc. I also wrestled back in High school and trained Catch-as Catch Can wrestling a few yrs ago and love every thing about the fight game. I believe McGregor is untouchable right now.

That's the thing. The bolded has not been proven. He's only faced one elite level wrestler, Chad Mendes, and that was on short notice which is why Mendes gassed after having his way with Conor in the first round. Conor is a great striker, we just don't know how well rounded he is because the UFC has cherry picked good matchups for him. Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

That's the thing. The bolded has not been proven. He's only faced one elite level wrestler, Chad Mendes, and that was on short notice which is why Mendes gassed after having his way with Conor in the first round. Conor is a great striker, we just don't know how well rounded he is because the UFC has cherry picked good matchups for him.

cherry picked ? you mean fighting and beating the Champ and now fighting another Champ, that's not cherry picking that is becoming a legend.

cherry picked ? you mean fighting and beating the Champ and now fighting another Champ, that's not cherry picking that is becoming a legend.

Champs aren't cherry picked, that's correct. Not facing one good wrestler outside of Mendes on his ascent is cherry picking. It doesn't mean he's not a great fighter, it just means he's been protected. Which is genius by the UFC. Why kill their cash cow?

Dos Anjos would have been a great challenge. Now he gets to fight Nate Diaz, which is a MUCH better matchup. Conor should win this fight relatively easily if Diaz stands with him. I'm very interested to see if Diaz plays it smart and uses his great ground game as it's the only chance he has.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Champs aren't cherry picked, that's correct. Not facing one good wrestler outside of Mendes on his ascent is cherry picking. It doesn't mean he's not a great fighter, it just means he's been protected. Which is genius by the UFC. Why kill their cash cow?

Dos Anjos would have been a great challenge. Now he gets to fight Nate Diaz, which is a MUCH better matchup. Conor should win this fight relatively easily if Diaz stands with him. I'm very interested to see if Diaz plays it smart and uses his great ground game as it's the only chance he has.

So what Great wrestlers has he skipped? and if you say Edgar read my previous posts.

So what Great wrestlers has he skipped? and if you say Edgar read my previous posts.

The top 3 guys at 145 (other than McG) are Aldo, Mendes and Edgar. It's interesting that Conor didn't have to fight either Edgar or Mendes on his way to his first scheduled title matchup with Aldo. He got to skip right to the front of the line after beating the likes of Poirier and Siver. You know, guys who are nowhere to be seen in the top 15 of the division.

Of course, Aldo got injured and in steps a replacement in Mendes who had one week of training camp and was off on a fishing vacation when he got the call. They chose Mendes for the interim title fight despite the fact that Edgar was training daily at the time and agreed to take the fight. Despite this Mendes dominated Conor in the 1st round via his ground game before he was completely gassed in the 2nd and couldn't even lift his hands to defend himself. Imagine that, a guy was completely gassed in a title fight when the week before he was trolling for large mouth bass. Of course, according to those who think Conor can do no wrong, this had no effect on the outcome.

Aldo was always a better stylistic matchup for McGregor because he is primarily a standup fighter and wasn't going to threaten the takedown. That's not the say Aldo is an easy fight (he's obviously not), it's just one that McGregor was better suited to win than vs. Edgar or Mendes.

It's also interesting - at least to me - that they make Edgar jump through hoops to get a title fight. The guy beat Swanson, Olivera and Faber yet they still match him up with Mendes for an "elimination" bout. He has to do this while McG gets to fight guys who aren't even in the top 15 en route to his title fight. It's almost like the UFC was hoping Edgar would lose as to avoid that matchup.

Yet Edgar perseveres and Conor is the new champ. Finally, we'd get to see if Conor could withstand the pressure of a wrestler for 5 rounds. But wait, despite the fact that Conor has never even defended his title the UFC allows him to move up and challenge for another belt? Wait, what? Those types of match-ups have only happened in the past when a guy has cleaned out his division. But not this time.

If you don't think Conor has been protected from on up high I don't know what to tell you. He is the UFC's golden child and they aren't going to risk losing that by giving him unfavorable match-ups. I have no doubt that if he fights again at 145 (which I'm not sure he will) they'll give him Aldo again.

I'll tell you this, if McGregor somehow beats Dos Anjos (if they actually fight) and claims the belt they will never, ever, EVER match him up with the guy who would be champion right now if not for multiple injuries: Khabib Nurmagomedov. The hoops the UFC will make Nurmagomedov jump through for a title shot will make the ones they made Frankie jump through look easy by comparison.

The top 3 guys at 145 (other than McG) are Aldo, Mendes and Edgar. It's interesting that Conor didn't have to fight either Edgar or Mendes on his way to his first scheduled title matchup with Aldo. He got to skip right to the front of the line after beating the likes of Poirier and Siver. You know, guys who are nowhere to be seen in the top 15 of the division.

Of course, Aldo got injured and in steps a replacement in Mendes who had one week of training camp and was off on a fishing vacation when he got the call. They chose Mendes for the interim title fight despite the fact that Edgar was training daily at the time and agreed to take the fight. Despite this Mendes dominated Conor in the 1st round via his ground game before he was completely gassed in the 2nd and couldn't even lift his hands to defend himself. Imagine that, a guy was completely gassed in a title fight when the week before he was trolling for large mouth bass. Of course, according to those who think Conor can do no wrong, this had no effect on the outcome.

Aldo was always a better stylistic matchup for McGregor because he is primarily a standup fighter and wasn't going to threaten the takedown. That's not the say Aldo is an easy fight (he's obviously not), it's just one that McGregor was better suited to win than vs. Edgar or Mendes.

It's also interesting - at least to me - that they make Edgar jump through hoops to get a title fight. The guy beat Swanson, Olivera and Faber yet they still match him up with Mendes for an "elimination" bout. He has to do this while McG gets to fight guys who aren't even in the top 15 en route to his title fight. It's almost like the UFC was hoping Edgar would lose as to avoid that matchup.

Yet Edgar perseveres and Conor is the new champ. Finally, we'd get to see if Conor could withstand the pressure of a wrestler for 5 rounds. But wait, despite the fact that Conor has never even defended his title the UFC allows him to move up and challenge for another belt? Wait, what? Those types of match-ups have only happened in the past when a guy has cleaned out his division. But not this time.

If you don't think Conor has been protected from on up high I don't know what to tell you. He is the UFC's golden child and they aren't going to risk losing that by giving him unfavorable match-ups. I have no doubt that if he fights again at 145 (which I'm not sure he will) they'll give him Aldo again.

I'll tell you this, if McGregor somehow beats Dos Anjos (if they actually fight) and claims the belt they will never, ever, EVER match him up with the guy who would be champion right now if not for multiple injuries: Khabib Nurmagomedov. The hoops the UFC will make Nurmagomedov jump through for a title shot will make the ones they made Frankie jump through look easy by comparison.

I agree with everything here. Other wrestlers he got to bypass are Lamas, Bermudez and even Lentz. Not having to fight any of them on the way up was not an accident.

you guys :rolleyes:

beat Mendes, beat, aldo and the other guys aren't ranked that high. So he should fight lesser opponents just to say he fought some wrestlers? Look if those guys can get good enough then they can take on the CHAMP.

You say you've watched fighting since the beginning yet don't see how obvious it is that the much bigger and longer McGregor has been dealt a very favorable hand. He landed a puncher's punch while barely slipping same when fighting Aldo. He got Mendes with no camp. Those are his two "quality" wins.

I'd love to see him fight Mendes with both fighters having a full camp. Mendes was breathing through his mouth 45 seconds into the fight and was totally gassed when he went for that ridiculous guillotine because he knew his tank was empty. Despite having no gas and no camp, he easily put McGregor on his back in each round and controlled him for the vast majority of the second.

Comparing McGregor favorably to GSP and Jones is ridiculous, pathetic, and removes any credibility you may have had. You sound like all the clowns who were all over Machida. Rousey, and Lesner. Each of whom were coddled similarly and then got absolutely wasted when they fought people with superior skills in the disciplines they were weakest at. Every time it happens ol' Dana looks like he's burying one of his kids. McGregor's time is coming, though I suspect Dana and Lorenzo are going to keep the charade going as long as they can because the money is oh so good.

McGregor may beat Diaz because Nate is both stupid and lacks real power but he's eventually going to have to fight someone with superior ground skills who is smart enough to use them and when he does he's going to get embarrassed. I don't give a **** who he's rolling with when he's in his underwear or how good he looks when he's doing it. Once that cage door locks, he's in the bottom echelon of UFC fighters when he's on his back.

One more thing: people who disagree with you on McGregor aren't "haters". I like McGregor because he's entertaining and he comes to fight. But I'm not jaded enough to ignore his very obvious weaknesses. On the ground he's barely better than James Toney.

Comparing McGregor favorably to GSP and Jones is ridiculous, pathetic, and removes any credibility you may have had. You sound like all the clowns who were all over Machida. Rousey, and Lesner.

Hey now! That's not fair to Machida at all! That guy is a solid, all around fighter who has tapered off a bit as he's gotten older. Imo he easily beat both Rampage and Phil Davis but those decisions went the other way in some bizzaro way. Other than those loses he lost to Jones, Weidman, Rockhold and Romero - the top pvp fighter in the world and the top 3 guys in his own division. There's no shame in that, particularly at age 37. He's not the cream of the crop anymore but he can still likely beat anybody who isn't.

You say you've watched fighting since the beginning yet don't see how obvious it is that the much bigger and longer McGregor has been dealt a very favorable hand. He landed a puncher's punch while barely slipping same when fighting Aldo. He got Mendes with no camp. Those are his two "quality" wins.

I'd love to see him fight Mendes with both fighters having a full camp. Mendes was breathing through his mouth 45 seconds into the fight and was totally gassed when he went for that ridiculous guillotine because he knew his tank was empty. Despite having no gas and no camp, he easily put McGregor on his back in each round and controlled him for the vast majority of the second.

Comparing McGregor favorably to GSP and Jones is ridiculous, pathetic, and removes any credibility you may have had. You sound like all the clowns who were all over Machida. Rousey, and Lesner. Each of whom were coddled similarly and then got absolutely wasted when they fought people with superior skills in the disciplines they were weakest at. Every time it happens ol' Dana looks like he's burying one of his kids. McGregor's time is coming, though I suspect Dana and Lorenzo are going to keep the charade going as long as they can because the money is oh so good.

McGregor may beat Diaz because Nate is both stupid and lacks real power but he's eventually going to have to fight someone with superior ground skills who is smart enough to use them and when he does he's going to get embarrassed. I don't give a **** who he's rolling with when he's in his underwear or how good he looks when he's doing it. Once that cage door locks, he's in the bottom echelon of UFC fighters when he's on his back.

One more thing: people who disagree with you on McGregor aren't "haters". I like McGregor because he's entertaining and he comes to fight. But I'm not jaded enough to ignore his very obvious weaknesses. On the ground he's barely better than James Toney.

thanks for telling me you are clueless and a hater