Update On Legal Dispute Over "Redskins" Trademark

The ultimate irony here is that the Toby Keithers- the ones who profess to love America more than the rest of us- are the same people who still celebrate a flag that symbolizes, above all else, an ill-fated attempt to LEAVE AMERICA. Now I'm going to preface this by saying that I think Nazis were way worse than Confederates. However if in 100 years people are flying the swastika flag and people born 100 years after the conclusion of World War II are saying "It's just a German pride thing, that's all," they may think they're being sincere but that doesn't change what World War II was really about. And anyone who doesn't recognize that preserving slavery was at the crux of the Confederates' decision to secede needs to go back and take American History 101.

What was WW2 really about?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ultimate irony here is that the Toby Keithers- the ones who profess to love America more than the rest of us- are the same people who still celebrate a flag that symbolizes, above all else, an ill-fated attempt to LEAVE AMERICA. Now I'm going to preface this by saying that I think Nazis were way worse than Confederates. However if in 100 years people are flying the swastika flag and people born 100 years after the conclusion of World War II are saying "It's just a German pride thing, that's all," they may think they're being sincere but that doesn't change what World War II was really about. And anyone who doesn't recognize that preserving slavery was at the crux of the Confederates' decision to secede needs to go back and take American History 101.

:thumbsup: Edited by PromoTheRobot

Don't think I want to jump into this potentially uproarious exchange, but seriously, why would you just type "seriously?" If you have an issue with his description why not say what it is. All "seriously" does is create less seriousness.

That's his role here. Just pot stir.

And overall, I think this has been a fairly civil conversation. I'm actually pretty impressed.

Confederate flag is a symbol of racism and secession first, heritage second. No way around that fact, and it cannot be considered appropriate as a team symbol for sports.

Redskins? There is absolutely no history of that being a racist slur. Its only use is associated with a team that chose the name as a way of honoring their original composition of having a majority American Indian players. It needs to stay.

Yes.

Wow. Did you not read my initial post? What about it led you to believe that I could have possibly been stupid enough to write in a subsequent post that World War II was about German pride? It was clearly satirical, drawing a parallel between a hypothetical future in which German people celebrated the Nazi flag as "German pride" much the same way Southerners feel a sense of "Southern pride" in the Confederate flag- when the reasons behind the Confederates seceding (largely the preservation of slavery) and the Germans attempting to conquer Europe (eventual world domination and the eradication of non-Aryan races- again, far more egregious than the Confederates) are really nothing to be prideful about. And yes, I'm serious. Edited by metzelaars_lives

I am partial Native American. My ex wife is NA. My kids are > 50%. Not counting them though (they don't care), out of the four 100% bloods that I asked, one answered yes, it offends him mildly. The others either don't care, or actually cheer for The Washington Redskins. I know a lot of Native Americans. I would estimate that 95% of Native Americans that I know are OU Sooner fans - think about that!

I did. You know a lot of OU Sooner fans. I do not think that reflects too poorly on you despite this.

Wow. Did you not read my initial post? What about it led you to believe that I could have possibly been stupid enough to write in a subsequent post that World War II was about German pride? It was clearly satirical, drawing a parallel between a hypothetical future in which German people celebrated the Nazi flag as "German pride" much the same way Southerners feel a sense of "Southern pride" in the Confederate flag- when the reasons behind the Confederates seceding (largely the preservation of slavery) and the Germans attempting to conquer Europe (eventual world domination and the eradication of non-Aryan races- again, far more egregious than the Confederates) are really nothing to be prideful about. And yes, I'm serious.

Did you not read my question?

It is interesting that on the same Navajo reservation the lead plaintiff (Amanda Blackhorse) lives, the name of all-Navajo high school football team is (drumroll please): Redskins.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/in-arizona-a-navajo-high-school-emerges-as-a-defender-of-the-washington-redskins/2014/10/26/dcfc773a-592b-11e4-8264-deed989ae9a2_story.html

It is interesting that on the same Navajo reservation the lead plaintiff (Amanda Blackhorse) lives, the name of all-Navajo high school football team is (drumroll please): Redskins.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/in-arizona-a-navajo-high-school-emerges-as-a-defender-of-the-washington-redskins/2014/10/26/dcfc773a-592b-11e4-8264-deed989ae9a2_story.html

Ah yes, the same person fighting to have the Declaration of Independence edited.

Did you not read my question?

I don't even know what we're talking about at this point. What is it exactly that you are trying to get across in this thread? I have made my stance quite clear. I haven't even touched the Redskins thing because- never mind. I only commented on the Confederate flag and agreed with everyone else except for one strunzo, who is really gaining a reputation around here, that it could and should be construed as offensive. I don't know what else I can add beyond that.

I don't even know what we're talking about at this point. What is it exactly that you are trying to get across in this thread? I have made my stance quite clear. I haven't even touched the Redskins thing because- never mind. I only commented on the Confederate flag and agreed with everyone else except for one strunzo, who is really gaining a reputation around here, that it could and should be construed as offensive. I don't know what else I can add beyond that.

Well, so far he has said...

"What was WW2 really about?"

Followed by...

"Seriously?"

"Yes"

And "Did you not read my question?"

So it's pretty clear what he is talking about and where he stands on the subject. ;)

Followed by...

"Seriously?"

"Yes"

So it's pretty clear what he is talking about and where he stands on the subject. ;)

Ha thanks for the laugh. I actually thought you were serious for a split second!

I asked you what WW2 was about. You made a comment that likened the "obviousness" of the Civil War to WW2. So I asked you to distill WW2 in the same vein that you distilled the Civil War. Because I wanted to see if you were also off the mark about WW2.

Followed by...

"Seriously?"

"Yes"

How could I be more clear? I asked a direct question.

To the mods:

There have been some developments that in my view would make it appropriate to re-open the archived thread found at the link below. Would you please re-open the archived original thread, and merge it with the one I just started? Thanks.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/168485-us-patent-office-cancels-redskins-trademark/page-19?hl=redskins%20trademark

There is a case, not directly involving the NFL, that is now on appeal in the Federal Circuit that may ultimately impact whether or not the "Redskins" trademark remains canceled or gets re-instated by the courts:

http://www.ipintelligencereport.com/2015/06/16/in-re-tam-federal-circuit-orders-en-banc-review-of-trademark-acts-ban-against-registration-of-disparaging-marks/#more-2186

Here's an update (now a few months old) about the court case that directly involves the "Redskins" trademark:

http://www.richmond.com/redskins-xtra/article_221cd139-ae84-5ffc-8018-6e1fdd878dc2.html

I live in the DC area and no ones cares. non issue.